New Mage Question

Q

Quill

I have a question for all of you experienced (and not so experienced) mages. How do "you" go about building a deck? Do you formulate a long range plan? Do you see a card and work around it? Do you think of a type of winning strategy and go from there? I always see these great decks with all this cohesion and I wonder how the formula works.

D

Dune Echo

Personally, I find a card I like and say, hmm, this would by this... and build a deck around winning by the concept. Of course, most of my decks are creature decks. I love creatures most of all and I hate blue control. Combo is cool, but I get bored. It's all or nothing without any real strategy built around your opponent reacting to you, IMHO only. Others may disagree.

When Waylay came out, I built a deck around Knights and getting a Coat of Arms in play fast. It sucked but it was fun to play Waylay and all of my Knights get +3/+3 more. Better than Giant Growth.

Z

Zadok001

I tend to go for a specific strategy, rather than a specific card. For example, I'll try a build a deck that has no non-land permanents. No specific cards, just no non-land stuff. It could be burn, it could be 5 color blue, it could be anything.

Occassionally I'll go by a single card (Greater Good, Greater Good!), but that's kinda rare.

S

sorcerer

for me it is all about either staying alive long enough to beat them, or beat them as quickly as possable and hope you don't die in the proscess (I usually pic the first one). If you want to survive you usually want to put white in your deck ( although I do have a black/blue deck that works, and red land destruction helps you survive). Well from there you pic out about 10 to 20 cards that help you live (orim's prayer, blessed reversal, orim, samite healer...), I usually have closer to ten of those type of cards. Anyway, after that is done you pic some favorites to kill off you opponent, this includes combos, spells, creatures, basicly anything outside of your goal. Finally, after you have 30 to 40 of those cards you put in land. If you have lots of colors put in duel landds or something like them, if you only have one or two put in fast mana. Things like that.