Need tribal deck

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, I'm playing in a tribal game on another board and I need deck help/suggestions. I'm just not familiar with sets past Mirrodin enough to make a tribal deck anymore and with the available tribes left. Here's what we already have played:

Tribes already played:
  • Angels - Klodin (Game 6)
  • Barbarians - MMMMM (Game 5)
  • Bringers - Spidey (Game 1)
  • Clerics - Banned
  • Druids - Klodin (Game 7)
  • Elves - Banned
  • Fungus - Klodin (Game 8)
  • Giants - Spidey (Game 5)
  • Goblins - Banned
  • Golems - Klodin (Game 1)
  • Horses - Grash (Game 5)
  • Humans - MMMMM (Game 1)
  • Incarnations - Klodin (Game 5)
  • Insects - Grash (Game 2)
  • Kithkin - Spidey (Game 6)
  • Licids - MMMMM (Game 2)
  • Merfolk - Grash (Game 4)
  • Nephilim - MMMMM (Game 4)
  • Plants - Spidey (Game 7)
  • Rats - Grash (Game 7 because Spidey messed up writing down Game 3 tribe)
  • Rats - Spidey (Game 3 corrected)
  • Slivers - MMMMM (Game 6)
  • Snakes - Grash (Game 1)
  • Soldiers - MMMMM (Game 8)
  • Spellshapers - MMMMM (Game 7)
  • Spiders - Spiderman (Game 2)
  • Spikes - Grash (Game 6)
  • Spirits - Klodin (Game 3)
  • Thrulls - Spiderman (Game 8)
  • Treefolk - Spiderman (Game 4)
  • Vampires - Klodin (Game 2)
  • Wizards - Klodin (Game 4)
  • Wolves - Grash (Game 8)
  • Zombies - Banned
  • Zuberas - MMMMM (Game 3)

I kinda like Scarecrows but have no idea what would be good for them - we play Type 1.5 (I think). As you can see, they're four player tribal chaos free-for-all games. The tendencies of the group is that one player likes to play draw cards like Rites of Flourishing and Howling Mines and uses those Avatar-like cards, one likes to combo, and one flip-flops between combo and aggression (last game he played combo, but there's no pattern).

Any suggestions or decklists? Here's your chance to design a MP tribal deck and have it see battle ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Those are two of the other players in the tribal games on the board. I just cut and paste and didn't edit since I figured it didn't matter anyway if you knew their names :)

M

Modus Pwnens

I don't see no beasts on the list. I believe there used to be a pretty good BGw beast deck in extended, here are some suggestions:

Anurid Brushhopper
Phantom Nishoba
Ravenous Baloth
Spiritmonger

And some other beast that might be good:
Fangren Firstborn
Quagnoth
Rhox
Sabertooth Nishoba

The deck combined Baloth with Living dead to wrath your opponents board while gaining a bunch of life.
Put in some accelleration (birds, elves, Kodama's Reach, Search for tomorrow, etc) and some removal (deed, damnation) and you've got a deck :)

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Beasts is good, but first and foremost because of Contested cliffs. There's a recurring beast token maker in Eventide as well, should be OK in multiplayer. Faeries should be good, it's dominating standard nowadays. Same goes to elementals.

Snakes is sick, that tribe should be banned as well.

I have an (old) zombie tribal deck on MTGO, if anyone's interested to play...

B

BigBlue

Minotaurs... :)

Elementals haven't been played yet?

Illusions...

Djinni...

Efreeti...

But... more curious than any of this... You play games on ANOTHER board? sheesh... :) My tax money is hard at work I see... (just kidding...)

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Maybe I misinterpretedtetetetedetedetredetd the intent behind your question. What's the goal of your tribe, winning or maximizing style points? You'll get kudo's for building a goat deck I guess... A shame they nerfed the war-rider tribe.

B

BigBlue

Also Wurms... (or Worms)
Dragons haven't been played yet...

But, I agree w/ Beasts as being a priority... they're a tough tribal deck and fun to play...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
BB: The other board's like here - not too active. The Magic is just a diversion, it's dedicated to another game :)

Shabbaman: Well, the goal is to win of course. We have a running tally of scores through our tribal games (like here) and I happen to be in third place. But the main point is, like I said, I'm not really familiar with sets past Mirrodin *and* we're running out of tribes that I'm familiar with, so me building a deck right now probably wouldn't be too competitive. So I'm asking if anyone else has any tribal decks that they're tinkering with that maybe they wouldn't mind me taking them for a run :)

B

BigBlue

Well... I built a Myr deck after the build a deck game...

I don't know how great it is, but it was fun (up til you played Oblivion Ring on my Forge)

Put in 2 each of the mana producing myr
Myr Matrix is Indestructible, gives all Myr +1/+1, and pumps out a 1/1 Myr token for 5.
Lodestone Myr = 2/2 Trample, but you can tap an untapped artifact to give it +1/+1 until eot...

You might try Juggernauts too if you're looking for a fun build.

Pick a Tribe, use Gatherer (or apprentice) to look at the list of cards - with gatherer it includes P/T, Type, and CC plus further info as needed. I found it invaluable when trying to look up cards since there are so many I haven't seen before... Now that I'm thinking about it... I've probably only been exposed to about 60% of all cards either irl or here since I stopped playing so long ago...

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Something like this, an old invitational decklist:

4 Anurid Brushhopper
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Canopy Crawler
4 Feral Throwback
1 Gurzigost
3 Hystrodon
4 Krosan Tusker
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Phantom Nishoba
4 Ravenous Baloth
3 Earthquake
3 Contested Cliffs
7 Forest
2 Mountain
1 Plains
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

Vitality charm would fit in, dual lands, sakura tribe elder, indrik stomphowler. I don't know what's banned in your format, but what about Survival of the fittest? The best tribal deck is still a combo deck.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
BB: Using Gatherer is what I did for the last couple of games, but my decks were a bit unfocused and untuned for this kind of series. So I'm hoping to get a more tuned deck to start out with.

Shabbaman: That looks cool. Only the cards on the Extended list and tribal hosers are banned (there's a list, if you're interested I can post it) but I don't think any of those are on the list. I might need more mass removal though - not sure the 3 Earthquakes will cut it.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
How about those Faeries? I found this at essential magic.....

Creatures
4 Mistbind Clique
4 Scion of Oona
3 Sower of Temptation
4 Spellstutter Sprite
3 Vendilion Clique

Spells
3 Broken Ambitions
4 Cryptic Command
4 Nameless Inversion
3 Ponder

Enchantments
4 Bitterblossom

Lands
8 Island
4 Mutavault
4 Secluded Glen
4 Sunken Ruins
4 Swamp

M

Modus Pwnens

That list is block constructed, if you really want to play the fae, go to the standard version, as rune snags are infinitely better than ambitions.