Need help with Big green

G

Griffith_se

Hello,

I'm not sure of how to build a big green deck I could really use some help (as you can see). What I'm Tring to do is Bring Big Green out with Pattern, and Defence of the heart. Wondering why I have High market? That's what I plan to ping my Patterned 1/1 Creature with (thought about using Ticking Gnomes). I used Mother Because I wanted A 1/1 to stick around long enough for me to put Pattern on it.

I don't know? Anybody have some good Ideas. What's a proper big green look like?

Creatures: 19

3 Mother of Runes
4 Llanowar elves
2 Rofelllos, Llanowar Emmisary
4 Vine Trelis
2 Child of Gaea
2 Thorn Elemental
2 Skyshroud Behemoth

Spells: 17

2 Worldly Tutor
4 Enlightened Tutor
2 Pattern of Rebirth
4 Rancor
3 Seal of Cleansing
2 Defence of the heart

Land: 24

3 High market
1 Gaeas Craddle
3 Brush Land
3 City of Brass
2 Plains
12 Forest

F

FoundationOfRancor

Whoa, first of all, there are alot of better big stompy dudes out there. Rhox and thorn elemental come to mind.I would take out the worldy tutors in favor of more patterns. You might even wanna splash black for vamp tutors. Heres a maybe decklist
Green (1 :cool:
- 4 Vine trellis
- 4 mana birds (Birds o paradise I think)
- 4 Llnowar elves
- 2 pattern of rebirth
- 2 Thorny
- 2 Rhox
Artifact (2)
- 1 Predator
- 1 Thran Foundry
White (13)
- 4 Enlightened Tutor
- 2 Seal of cleanising
- 2 Radiants Dragoons
- 1 Spiritual Asylum
- 3 Wrath Of God
Black (4)
- 4 Vamp tutor
Land (23)
- 4 City of Brass
- 4 Brush Land
- 2 Thran Quarry
- 9 Forest
- 1 Kor Haven
- 1 Rath's Edge
- 2 Plains
What do you think?

F

FoundationOfRancor

Whoops! The smile should be an 18. A real good thing to do with this deck here is to throw mana birds (or another cheap dude) with a patter on it. Wait till they got some creatures then wrath. Boo yA! There may be to few big greens and patterns but the tutors can get em. Also, theres the thran foundry in case somethin goes wrong. Alot of stuff can take life from you so I decided to throw in some dragoons.

F

FoundationOfRancor

24 looks good. Maybe bring down the cities in favor of more brushlands? And rhox also has regen.

G

Griffith_se

I played some solitare with Magic encyclopedia, and found that I wind up most of the time with alot of land and nothing to spend it on. Made these changes and will try again. please comment or advice.

-2 city of brass
+1 brushland
+1 Yavamia hollow( gonna try what the hell)
-2 forest
+2 Yavamia Elder

Thanks
griffith_se

[Edited by Griffith_se (03-28-2000 at 11:26 AM).]

O

Ophidian

I love using yavimaya elders with patterns. You get two lands, two creatures, and a card in hand with him. And even if he does get killed off, you still get to use his ability. I think either most people have overlooked this card, or just didn't think about what an advantage it gives you when you need it most (turn 4-6), especially if the game has started to level out.

G

Griffith_se

I made a few changes. I have no Rhox, so I kept the Child of Gaea, Besides the regen is good isn't it? I put in Thran Foundry in as you suggested plus Rod of Ruin(Tim on a stick) for pinging My patterned 1/1's. Also added another Pattern. Is it better? Even just a little bit? :) Do you think I need 24 land, Or should I drop one or two.

Creatures: 19

4 Llanowar Elves
4 Vine Trellis
2 Yavimaya Elder
2 Elvish Piper
3 Blastoderm
2 Child of Gaea
2 Thorn Elemental

Artifact: 2

2 Rod of Ruin
1 Ring of Gix

Spells: 15

3 Crop Rotation
3 Enlightened Tutor
3 Pattern of Rebirth
3 Seal of Cleansing
2 Defence of the heart
1 Planar Colapse

Land: 23

3 High market
1 Gaeas Craddle
4 Brush Land
1 Yavimaya Hollow
1 City of Brass
2 Plains
11 Forest

Thanks
Griffith_se

[Edited by Griffith_se (03-29-2000 at 11:44 AM).]

[Edited by Griffith_se (03-29-2000 at 11:47 AM).]

G

Gizmo

(begin shameless plug)
For a big green deck look at this, from Sky Winslow Roy (the second decklist) on Starcityccg.com - probably the best Magic site now that the Dojo has taken a dive into the crapper and pulled the chain to boot.
http://www.starcityccg.com/mustread/000320roy.shtml
Oh, and the fact that Erik and myself are feature writers for Starcity is purely coincedental.
;)
(end shameless plug)

[Edited by Gizmo (03-28-2000 at 04:53 PM).]

A

Apollo

you might want to put Elvish Lyrists in there, because they serve the double purpose of killing an enchantment and killing itself to Pattern. I second the Elder nomination, and I like the Wraths too.

Apollo

G

galtwish

From your revised decklist, I'd drop the Foundry, the Mights and the Rancors for 1 more Elder, 4 Blastoderms and another Rod of Ruin/Stampede Driver/Crop Rotation. Don't be tempted to go below 22 land, as Armagedodn in Rebel decks and Ponza can really put the hurt on your mana base. And Squallmonger is almost a given in non-Stompy Green decks as a good finisher and a Morphling/Dragon/Glider killer.

Erik
who just realized that Varchild's War Riders combo especially well with Defence of the Heart

G

galtwish

Elvish Armory

4 Llanowar Elves
2 Elvish Lyrist
4 Rofellos
4 Priest of Titania
3 Yavimaya Granger
3 Yavimaya Elder
4 Skyshroud Poacher
4 Derainged Hermit
1 Elvish Piper
2 Squallmonger
1 Rhox/Masticore
1 Thorn Elemental
1 Multani, Maro Sorceror
1 Child of Gaea
2 Pattern of Rebirth
2 Worldly Tutor
3 Gaea's Cradle
2 Treetop Village
16 Forest

I know it has a lot of rares, but you can substitute fatties, and Cradles can become High Markets if need be due to expense. With a deck like this you want to be able to cast the fatties w/elves or w/the Cradle, or w/Piper. Skyshroud Poacher is the way to go in ramping up the mana, with Priests, Grangers, and Llanowars popping out all over.

Erik