Need deck ideas for MP!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I just played Magic last night with two other people and it was.... discouraging, to say the least. I was the first out in three games.

Here's the setup: it's free-for-all, with players able to split their attacks among their opponents. One of the players plays "weird", he likes to target another player if that player puts out "complicated" cards (which is basically anything he's unfamiliar with, which is basically anything after Revised). He played a red/green deck with basically Revised spells: Kird Apes, Scryb Sprites, Elvish Archers, Desert Twister, Bolts, Fireballs, Giant Growths, etc.

So here's what I need ideas or links to: decks that are "simple" yet not attention drawing to this guy who will likely target me. I guess I need defense from him and the second player, who does play "more complicated" decks but was able to sit back and build up because I unwittingly drew the first player's attention.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
*chuckles* How about Big walls and Rolling stones? Make it Blue/White so you can have counter cont......wait a minute, wouldn't coutner control be worthless in that type of environment? Oh well.

Ransac, cpa trash man

R

rkoelsch

I think a Blue White wall deck would be good. You cant pack a few counterspells but save them to protect Rolling Stones

Something like

4-Wall of Swords
4-Sunweb
4-Wall of Wonder
4-Walking Wall
4-Wall of Water
4-Wall of Essense
4-Shifting Wall

4-Counterspell
4-Force of Will
4-Animate Wall
4-Rolling Stone
4-Disenchant

4-Tundra
4-Adarkar Wastes
12-Island
8-Plains

I always play more than 60 cards in a MP deck especially with a defensive deck like this.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I was kinda thinking that but need more Rolling Stones. Maybe Animate Wall will have to suffice...

In the first game, the second player (the one who sat back a lot) played a counter deck. It worked because I was the one getting targetted by the first player, so he just had to protect himself. I did comment that it was risky and it probably would have been in a "normal" type of game, but hey... :)

R

rkoelsch

A good part of MP is diplomancy. It is really more important than anyones deck. I doubt if there is a deck that can withstand 3 or 4 other decks trying to kill you. Good luck

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, as I said, there wasn't much verbal diplomacy going on. The first player was playing his "weird" way so I guess the only diplomacy I could do is make sure I don't put out anything early that he views as "complicated" :)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Wow, someone actually took my suggestion of a walls deck seriously.

Might I make another suggestion? Add an Illusionary wall or two. I know, cumulative upkeep sucks, but you just have to keep it out long enough to destroy any large, flying blockers, which should take two turns and most.

I think I'm back to my old crazy self again.

Ransac, cpa trash man

K

krichaiushii

Fight fire with fire. Instead of U/W walls, do R/W walls and add Forks. This will allow for minor mass destruction, too - Pyroclasm and Steam Blast, for example. As well as the ubiquitous Lightning Bolts.

There are a few giants/cyclops that can throw creatures, as well. Be aggressive in multiplayer. Even if you lose, this method should have reduced others' life totals to the point of a quick game.

Pack Red Elemental Blasts for Counterspell guy, and perhaps a spellshaper or two for when blue is eliminated from the game.

Might be tough getting 4 Forks, though. Maybe Copper Tablets and Martyrs of Korlis?

Defensively aggressive. Black can do this too, with Urborg Stalkers, Wall of Souls, Thrashing Wumpi and other such nastiness.

A larger deck with a few remove from game cards goes a long way to breaking those who feel combos are the only way to go. Multiple uses for cards and synergy in the deck can pull off some long shot victories, or at least cool plays.

Mikeymike has a pretty good grasp of multiplayer stuff, plus he is a more frequent poster, than I. Also, check out some of the older threads regarding decks both he and I have posted.

Thats all for now.

C

clmax

Some very efficient cards (out of the card pool you mentioned) for your multiplayer games will be:

4x Wall of Souls
4x Propaganda

This may make you a less desirable target.

Good Luck!

-Clmax

Killer Joe

Countermagic in MP is extremely acceptable AND viable.

Not drawing attention to yourself is the work of "Jedi Mind Trickery", always look discouraged when anyone puts anything on the board, even a land! Play any card as if it were fruitless and make it look like you played it out of total desperation.

Play with a deck that has "card advantage" (ie FoF/AK/etc...).

Hey, it works for me, sorta :(.

C

Captain Caveman

How about regenerator's and Disk or Deed.

Cr@p.dec

4 SpiritMonger
4 Sedge Troll(albino troll)
4 River Boa
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Disintegrate
2 Earthquake
4 Nevinyrral's Disk(pern. deed)
2 Void
3 Rancor
1 Zuran Orb
4 Barbed Sextant
1 Demonic Tutor

4 Mishra's Factory(or man-lands)
4 Wasteland
4 Taiga
4 Bayou
4 Badlands
1 Volrath's Stronghold
1 City of Brass

D

Darsh

I've always been partial to Pestilence Control with life drain in multiplayer, makes you one hell of a target if you put pestilence out too early though, but you've got to take some risks anyway in multiplayer.

I

Istanbul

Combowhat?.dec

4x Groundskeeper
4x Zuran Orb
1x Fastbond
4x Manabond
4x Vernal Bloom
4x Wall of Blossoms
4x Multani's Acolyte
4x Stream of Life
4x Taste of Paradise
4x Hurricane
4x Sylvan Library
20x Forest

The idea:
Get the following cards into play:
Groundskeeper
Zuran Orb
Vernal Bloom
Fastbond/Manabond
Tap a forest for GG.
Sac Forest to Zuran Orb.
Use GG to get Forest back with Groundskeeper.
Play Forest again with Fastbond for a net gain of 1 life, or during your end phase for a net gain of 2 life.
Go infinite.

The kill:
A second Vernal Bloom (1 or 2 life and G every iteration) and Hurricane. Or sit there and let your opponents attack you. See if they can get you down from 800,000 life. Bring many life counters.

SOP:
Wall of Blossoms and Multani's Acolyte are there to get you deeper into your library and be early defense. Sylvan Library fulfills only the second function. Stream of Life and Taste of Paradise are there to keep you alive and/or to regain life paid to Sylvan Library.

The clincher:
Once your combo is on the table, you can't be stopped from going off. Your opponent nukes your Groundskeeper/Orb/Bond/Bloom? Do the combo ten trillion times in response. Grin maniacally.

The upside:
Among the parts of your combo, nothing but the Bloom costs more than two mana. Better still, nobody will counter the Bloom.

The downside:
Only works once. Anyone playing blue will immediately counter anything you try to play once this combo goes off once. Still, the glee is unmistakeable that one time. Try to sideboard Multani's Presence and City of Solitude.

Gives people conniption fits in MP games, and fits the requirement of sitting back and looking like you're doing nothing until suddenly BOOM!!!

M

Mundungu

What about a secret foce / stupid green type of deck ??

has a few tricks, but they are not too complicated, s maybe they wont attarct the attention.
Plus the start of the deck is well inocent enough with walls and elves until the "beasts" enter the fray :

Deck elements :
llanowar elves
wall of roots
wall of blossom
natural order
overrun
Masticore
stampeding wildebeest
Deranged hermit

Optional elements :
eldamari's vineyard
yavameyede tome
revive
regrowth
repopulate
spike feeder
spike weaver
symbiotic developpement

Or you ca go the other extreme an make a T1 type combo deck that will kill every body on turn 3 or 4 ... not fun, but if your opps are not fun themselves maybe that will teach them a lesson :
MP type 1 Academy
kill :
Iron maiden + opportunity

Mana engine : Mind over matter + tol academy.

Key spells :
all mana artefacts available
P9 + lib alex (as far as possible)
frantic search
windfall
yawg will
wheel of fortune
time spiral
urza's baubles
impulse
etc ....

Killer Joe

That's just evil!

<YJ rumages through old trade binder to desperatly find the Vernal Blooms he once thought were useless> :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys for your ideas.

YJ: Well, I wouldn't have thought counter-magic to be viable in multiplayer, but with the first guy's mindset, if you aren't doing something then it's probably good. The problem would be if both of us aren't doing something then he'd satill hit us, but amybe he'll spread out his attacks more.