Necromancy questions

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Terentius, May 15, 2006.

1. DarthFerret Evil Sith Weasel

So that means (trying to see if I have this right) that If I play Necromancy, targeting my White Knight in my Graveyard, the Knight comes into play, Necromancy cannot target it anymore and leaves play into the graveyard, and the Knight stays in play?

If this is true, does that work with animate dead or dance of the dead?
  2. BigBlue Magic Jones

This would be nice then... animate dead, dance of the dead, and necromancy become resurrection - but from anyone's graveyard...
  3. Terentius The Instigator

Okay, so you're saying:

a) There is no way to get around the effect that says, "If Necromancy leaves play, bury the creature."

b) Mother of Runes couldn't get around this effect because she couldn't tap herself for protection before Necromancy attached to her

c) If Necromancy attempts to reanimate a creature with protection from black, e.g. White Knight, it will be put into play then destroy Necromancy when it's attach as aura effect triggers
  4. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

That's correct. Except for the two special cases discussed in the thread (protection from black or indestructible).

That's correct. The Necromancy attaches itself as part of the resolution of the triggered ability when Necromancy comes into play. No one can play spells or abilities during that time. She could, however, give protection from black to one of your creatures that was animated by Necromancy, which would cause Necromancy to leave play and the enchanted creature would then die. Not sure how useful that is.

That's correct. The Necromancy becomes an Aura, fails to attach itself to the Knight, and goes to the graveyard as a state-based effect because it is currently not enchanting anything.

(- Steve -)
  5. orgg Administrator

That's incorrect. White Knight would be put into play, Necromancy would become an aura and try to attach itself to the illigal object of White Knight, fail to attach, and then be put into the graveyard as it is an aura that is not attached to anything. White Knight sticks its tongue out at your opponent.
  6. Terentius The Instigator

Yeah that's what I meant. Necromancy would be destroyed by White Knight's protection = Necromancy targets and illegal creature, then is destroyed.
  7. BigBlue Magic Jones

Probably close enough.... :D

I cast Necromancy targetting White Knight in a graveyard.

Necromancy resolves and comes into play.
    White Knight comes into play.
    Necromancy becomes an aura - creature enchantment and attempts to attach itself to the White Knight.
    The White Knight has Pro Black - so Necromancy can't attach itself and then goes to the graveyard - because Necromancy was never attached to the Knight, the Knight does not leave play when Necromancy goes to the GY.

Note: it doesn't matter if I cast it as an Instant or as an enchantment - the results are the same... The Knight is in play for good. (unless/until something else causes it to leave play).
  8. DarthFerret Evil Sith Weasel

And the same is true for Dance of the Dead and Animate Dead right?
  9. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

If Dance of the Dead and Animate Dead use the same wording as Necromancy, then yes.

I'm not sure if they plan on fixing this. Besides, the Rules team has another issue concerning Experiment Kraj that IMHO should be a priority anyway.

(- Steve -)
  10. Lythand Veteran CPA Member

Whats wrong with kraj??
  11. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

I'll make a new thread about Kraj.

(- Steve -)
  12. BigBlue Magic Jones

Animate Dead & Dance of the Dead have the same wording - so yes, they both work the same way...

Notes about those: Since the enchantments never become auras... the P/T adjustments are never made (no -1/-0 for AD or +1/+1 for DotD)... For DotD, the creature does come into play tapped - but untaps normally. The more I read these cards, the more obvious it is to me why they work the way they do.
  13. orgg Administrator

...and the more obvious they need a bit of erratta?
  14. BigBlue Magic Jones

errata? nah.... they are the "new" resurrection.... :D but only for a Pro-Black creatures... wording or not, indestructible creatures are always safe... I think there are much bigger fish to fry than this loophole... like satisfying Jigglypuff's templating concerns... :D
  15. DarthFerret Evil Sith Weasel

Yes, however, this gives me the idea to possibly try to make a deck out of this!
  16. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Yeah... black/white resurrection deck. Already done really...