Nagoya blues

G

Gumby Khan

Just got back from Nagoya and I wanted to let y'all know what I thought of the Grand Prix. On a scale of 1 thru 10, I would have to give it a (drum roll, please)...9! It would have been a 10, if my team didn't come in 121st out of 217 teams! I know this sounds like blasphemy on a website dedicated to the non-pro, casual play of Magic, but I really had a great time and want to share my experience with anyone who cares. I won't go into a typical James Wakefield trip report (loooong, but humorous) and try to keep it short.
First, it was a 3 man team format, first day sealed deck 7 rounds, cut the top 20 for day two (rochester draft). Top eight gets cash and top 2 also gets invites to PTNY. Entry fee: 9000Y (about $87.00) per team or about $30 per team member. Hotel: 5000Y/person/night (about $200.00 for me and wife for two nights).
Friday, drive all day and register. We get a cool T-shirt and Competitor badges. Scope out the local eateries and luckily find a Mc D on the corner. Check into hotel and start drinking and playing some Magic. Meet Taiwan players, trade cards and drink some more. Saturday morning, smash alarm clock at 0700 and wake up with a cold shower. Hit Mc D and get breakfast, except they don't serve breakfast, just burgers, fries, nuggets, etc. Meet Mike Long and like him, until he tells me his name.:( Get to convention center and see the thousands of people milling about. Find our seats and wait for cards (2 starter MM and 4 booster MN) to build decks. Luckily we know some of the judges and they promised us english cards throughout the tourney. Build decks and play three rounds, we go 1-2.:( Get MORE cards and build decks! Lunch was in there somewhere, but I can't remember when. Play last four rounds and go 2-2, which kills our chances for top twenty.:( Meet up with our judge friend and find a near-by steakhouse. Eat, drank, and was merry until 2am. Sleep. Alarm went off and duly ignored for a full 30 minutes. Showered, packed, and checked out of hotel. Entered a side event and played a dice game sponsored by Hobby Japan. Dice game kicked a$$! For about $5 you get five rolls of three dice. Every roll got you something, but triples got you really cool prizes. We all played about $15 worth each and we walked away with two Nightmare watches, two Serra Angel backpacks, one Jester's Cap bookbag, 24 packs (yes, packs) of APAC lands (red, blue, and clear), about 40 single APAC lands, about 20 Vanguard cards, about 20 Lu-Bu promo cards (one of which was mis-stamped), and about 20 Nalanthi Dragon promo cards (in Japanese). Better than Vegas!:)
Bottom line - Great people, good times, and mucho cards!:) If you ever get a chance to go to one, I highly recommend it! You don't have to take my word for it, there is a link on the WOTC site that will give you another perspective. Sorry to take up so much space,

C

Chaos Turtle

You are having more fun than I am.

:cool: Congrats on having so much fun though! We need Magic Craps here too! (cuz APAC sunflower Plains rock the boat! )

Oh, welcome back to the board!

D

Dune Echo

:p TAG GUARD!

YOU SUCK!

I'm dying for APAC Lands! I want a Lu-Bu promo! And I'd love to have Vanguard cards! Sometimes this remote playing thing really sucks.

G

Gizmo

The GPs are much more fun than the PTs are - being open events mean there is a much wider field, far less sense of being elite-only.

All round to my place for Grand Prix Manchester in October! My team is going to be defending our belt having won the last British Grand Prix two years ago, in Birmingham.
:)

G

Gumby Khan

Thanks, guys. I forgot to mention the field and Gizmo hit it on the head. Many (90%) of the players were casual scrubs like me. Six of the the teams were pro enough to earn two byes and seven more earned one bye. The rest were very friendly japanese players that shook your hand before and after every match, never gloated when you lost horribly, and if you happened to beat them, just smiled and wished you luck in the next round.
Mr. Pestilence, my friend Shayne won both nightmare watchs and gave one to my wife (since she was sweet enough to stay by my side for every horrible match and get us cokes and stuff). She probably won't let hers go and I know Shayne wouldn't part with his, either, but I can find out the make and model number if you are interested.
Chaos Turtle, I didn't get that plains in my singles, but I did get a few extra islands. If you would like, I could send one to you. I may have an extra Lu-bu, for Dune echo. Let me know, okay?:)

C

Chaos Turtle

That would be really cool, Gumby Khan. Is the anything I can do for you?

T

The Magic Jackal

TAG GUARD

I'm going to my first team limited tournament this weekend. First place gets 2 byes at Grand Prix Pittsburg. Wish me luck!

D

Dune Echo

TAG GUARD

You have an extra Lu-Bu for little ol' me?! What are you asking for in return? Do you have any extra Vanguard cards or APAC lands too? :p (One can hope!) Email me and let me know!

G

Gumby Khan

Sorry, my job got very hectic this last month and I've been off island for a week. Now my email is down and I can't email y'all, yet, but I got the LAN guys working that as we speak. Luckily my internet works, obviously. I'll send an email to Chaos Turtle and Dune echo when I get back on line and get y'all's address. I'll send the cards in regular mail, so it may take a couple of weeks. I don't want anything in return from y'all, so don't sweat it.:)

Email is up!:) I sent one to Chaos Turtle, but I couldn't send one to Dune Echo. Dune Echo, can you let me know where you want that Lu-bu sent? I'll even send some of the extra Vanguard cards I got.:)

Jackal, how was it? Hope you did well! Whatever happened, it must have been a grand experience, huh? Did you feel like smacking your team-mates when they lost and you won? Or were you the one getting smacked? Just kidding. Let me know what you thought about it, 'kay?:)

Istanbul, Lu-bu is a promo card for Portal Three Kingdoms and is a 3/3 with "horsemanship" or something like that. The only cool thing about it is the gold foil date on it, I think. :)

Me and my buddies (14 rag-tag scrubs) are going to Tokyo Friday to play in the Prophecy Pre-release and they already have over 700 players pre-registered! We are garuanteed english cards (whew!) and at least seven rounds of "check out this NEW can of whip a$$!":) This event and the Japanese Nationals will be held simultaneously in the same building, so I know there will be side events everywhere. If I'm lucky, Hobby Japan will have the dice game again and I'm bringing a pocket full of Yen, baby!:) If you can't tell, I'm kinda hyped about this one. I'll try to take notes so that I can maybe do one of d'em thar "ar-tik-lees".:p Wish me luck, y'all!

[Edited by Gumby Khan on May 22nd, 2000 at 11:24 PM]

A

Apollo

Someone I know said he went to a Grand Prix Pittsburgh in the last few weeks and that there was only 15 people there (he says it was a team grand prix, by the way). Does anyone know if there was actually a Grand Prix Pittsburgh? Or is he just screwing with my head?

Apollo