My friend, the Magic Fool

A

Almindhra

I have this friend who tries really really hard to be a "Magic player"...We went to a tourny just the other day...A small local thing...And he embarrased me and boyfriend 10 times over...Here are just some of the things he did...Maybe you'll find it amusing...I will call my friend George to let him keep his integrity...

* George is playing an artifact deck...Has three islands...A Helix out...( I think he might have sacked his crystal vein to get that out )...His opponent has a Keldon Vandal, I think, out...What does George have in his hand?...A tinker...And hes not playing it...He wants to tap the kids 3 out of 5 mountains instead...While hes getting beat in the head

* George is playing a kid who just started...hes maybe 12 and doesn't really understand the game quite that well yet...Well, on the 2nd round, George asks the kid really loudly ( we were in a tight space )..."Do you know what a sideboard is?"...And he said no of course...So he explains that its "15 cards that you can replace other cards with...And those 50 (then it started to sound like 50 instead of 15) la di di di da"...So then the mom stands next to her son...And George has to ask the mother..."Do you know what a sideboard is?"....And of course shes says no...Then he goes into his long disscussion again...Which makes him sound like a total moron...

* Probably about 4 times in different matches George forgets that little crappy card Masticore's upkeep...

* George asked a guy if he could look through his binder...He said yeah and George starts flipping through the pages...He points to some cards and looks to me and says "Oh yeah!" and nods his head rapidly...Then he points to an Ivory Mask and tells the guy..."Oh yeah...I got this at MM prerelease...I was like wow!"...And yes he did use that in his deck at that tourny...Why?... Because its a white card and he likes white cards...

* George buys packs of Saga...Why?...I have no clue...hes opening them and doesn't look at the uncommons then he gets to his rare...He wasn't excited about the Hellkite...But oh, when he got his Opal Titan! he was jumping out of his seat...And then he looks through the commons...And I said that there aren't any foils in Saga...Which I don't think he knew even though he was around for that set...He says he just wants to look through...When he got to the Healing Salve and the Sanctum Costodian, he was literally jumping out of his seat again

*He thinks Tinker is a combo, and just figured out that Grim Monolith is good...Even though he plays an artifact deck

I don't know what to do about George...He recently figured out that a deck is supposed to have a purpose rather than just some cards flung together...And he thinks that using tinker is a combo...He will have a bunch of white weanies out and you could have 1 creature and he won't attack...Because his "philosophy" is to kill you in one turn (which yes, he did actually say himself)...And he thinks the bigger the casting cost the better the card...We went for a whole week arguing whether he had a Rancor or not...My boyfriend and I just don't know what to do anymore...Should we slap some Pokemon cards in his hand and hope for the best?...Any suggestions?

~Almindhra

Z

Zadok001

Oh, _that's_ who you are! :) Hi, this is Nivelimac, feel free to ignore my other post asking what other site you were from...

Give George my regards, but I found someone else to trade my Pale Moons to. Really, I did! I'm so proud!

"I'm so slow..."

M

Mundungu

I'm sure your friend George will end up learning his lesson the hard way.

Dont try to convince him. Just beat him regularily with rancored creatures and I bet you that he will play rancor before soon ...

As for the bragging, well, he will probably learn that the hard way too. If he describe how good a card is BEFORE trading it you can be sure he will loose in the exchange.
He will certainly learn humility sooner or later when he meets some real good, older T1 or extended player that lay down cards he will have never heard of.

Dont make yourself crazy about it. If he doesnt want to listen to good advice, let him learn the hard way.

A bad experience always teaches more than a good one.

F

FoundationOfRancor

I had a friend like that. I dont usually do this, but I put masticores and rancors in my deck just to show him. he humbled alot after that!

G

Gryphonclaw

Let him learn at his own speed.
Meanwhile sit back and feel free to laugh...
We all went through the newbie stage with our own little foibles. I know someone who traded a wrath of god for very little because he didn't like the picture... :)
And hey, he'll be perfect fodder for casual games.

D

Duel

Zadok, hate to burst your bubble, but Sean pointed out the "Nonbasic land" tidbit to nigel.

Back to the topic: George needs help. My suggestion, force him to play a preconstructed deck. Now, while the decks royally suck, he will be forced to learn different styles of play. Plus, try and build him a combo deck. I remember the joy of my first combo going off...

T

theorgg

Duel, are you a BLOODY SADIST!!????!!?!?!??

give a kid like this, a NEWBIE a fuc'in COMBO DECK????

what are you smoking, boy? SALMON?

Z

Zafiram

Well Almindhra I think that we need to look at the real porblem here. Could it be that the problem is really George's extreamly bitchey and negative friend that makes him nervous when she lookes over his shoulder. Or could it be the fact that she allways has a smart ass comment to make about everythinh that George does. I know youre asking, why would someone who is a "friend" to Geeorge do that to him. And for that I really cant say....But I'm sure he wounders....Actually I think that he would guess insecurity... But thats not just this guys opinion. Also, maybe we should look inward to the person that is making these comments. (Those who live in glass houses shouldent throw stones) I think that I heard that this person lost all of their matches at the tournement in question, and that they had to be told how to play their own deck by their opponent. But should that really matter... I'll let you be the judge. In all of the aftermath of this whold oreal I'm sure George is going to get yelled at by his "friend" because they are notorius for being able to dish it it out, but never take it. Lets just wait and see.

~A very pissed and concerned Zafiram

F

FoundationOfRancor

Um, I didnt get very much of that man. I think you were trying to say that the poster was the 1 who did bad at a tourney and her/his opinion should not be taken serouisly.

I dont really think it matters if this scernario is real or not. If the poster thinks its real enough to post up on it, then maybe she needs help. In any case, we are given newbies solutions on how to deal with these type of players ( and they do excist)

A

Almindhra

Um, excuse me....but Bargain is not the easiest deck to play with, and I only had it for a week...And 2 out of the 4 people I played were in the top 4...Lets look at who you played against, ok?....Exactly...

Now, I meant this all in good fun....Why would I refer you to this page if I didn't know you were going to find it?...

yes, I can dish it out...Sometimes I can take it, if its true...Zafiram, don't you believe that George has a problem...lol...

And I'm not negative...I just point out the obvious...Zafiram, I don't know why you're so angry...

~Almindhra

D

Duel

Cool down, theorgg. I didn't mean you should give him a high-tech combo, I was talking about a rebel deck sorta thing. Or an elf/stream of life/hurricane thing. Let him lose with it until he gets the style down.

T

theorgg

oh.

I thought you were suggesting the newest 21.TECH or somthing like that.

you mean giving him a deck with Hermetic study and horshoe crabs in it.

gotchya.

that's not a combo deck.
that's just a deck with a few comboes in it.
I did that all the time for awhile.
untill I ran out of crabs and sigils.

A

Apollo

Rancor: unless I'm mistaken, Zafiram (where do they get these names?) is "George" and is giving his/her friend a hard time right back. Of course, this whole thing is getting pretty confusing for me too.

Apollo

A

Almindhra

Apollo, you are correct...*ding, ding, ding*...It was all in good fun though...George is my friend...And this is an apology to him because he was very upset with me today...And I'm sorry...Smile tomorrow???

Killer Joe

Wait a minute, waaaaaait a minute. IRL, I know these two. Almindhra learned MTG from a her beau, a great Magic player and Zafiram learned the game from me (I think). I do not currently play with either of these two because I no longer live in their area, so I don't know how much either have progressed as a player. But in defense of Zafiram, he does not have the constant critiquing of his deck or play or of card knowledge in general as much as Almindhra does.
As for Almindhra, I know it's hard to not pick on people, in fact, I do know that you're really good at it (and funny), but try harder to encourage fellow card-floppers and gently remind them of mistakes like:
1.) Don't let them trade a Black Lotus for a Talon Sliver.
2.) Don't let them think "Tinker" is a combo.
3.) Don't let them (Fill in the blank)

BTW< Almindhra, watch out for the Magic Jackal, he's killing everyone on this site with Magic arrows like this:
<-----------(#X)-------------

S

Spaceman Spiff

er..i think im lost does anyone know where 35th street is??

M

Mundungu

Just go to the 33rd street and you'll be only about 2 blocks away ...

errr...

I think

A

Almindhra

Ok, let me just tell you this...Last night George found out he was wrong about a card...What was the card?...

BLACK LOTUS

lol...He thought it gave you 3 B mana...And didn't think it was that great and wondered why it was so expensive...lol

A

Apollo

you shouldn't make fun of people like that on this board. If you want to rip on someone, go to the Battle Arena. I realize this is in good fun, but is in the wrong forum.

Yay! I'm a veteran now!

Apollo

[Edited by Apollo on April 24th, 2000 at 11:00 PM]