Multiplayer: Announcement of Combat

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Killer Joe, Feb 27, 2007.

1. kriz_riktr Member

I received a PM asking me to answer the "question" in this thread. I wasn't quite sure which one in particular I was supposed to answer, so here's my comments on all of the issues brought up here.

If you are playing with the option to attack multiple players, then you do not choose a single defending player. All opponents in the game are defending players. You will not choose whom to attack with what until you declare attacking creatures.

Eric is correct, Player B will not know if he is going to be attacked or not. He'll have to tap a creature "blindly."

This is an example of purposely misrepresenting the rules of the game and cheating. You are purposely advancing the game further than it should (misrepresentation) and then backing up in order to gain an advantage. You can get the same result if you just tell player B that you are not going to attack him. (You aren’t required to tell the truth about your intentions; you just can’t lie about or illegally manipulate the game state.) Politics and subterfuge are parts of multi-player Magic, but you can't manipulate the rules to gain an advantage.

As Mooseman pointed out this is obviously not how the game works. If this happened at a sanctioned event and I were the judge, I'd back up the situation and return the Force of Will and "pitched" card to this players hand, refund the mana payment and have Oversoul choose a value for X and then give his opponent priority. Your opponent did jump the gun and reveal a card in hand, but you cannot allow him to do something illegal in order to gain an advantage.

EDIT: Fixed quote tag
  2. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Thanks Chris.....

so, who called in the big guns? :D
  3. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Indeed, but I thought everything was already answered... :confused:
  4. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

And I did a pretty good job of it too........ :D
    But it is nice to be vindicated..... ;)
  5. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Too late!
  6. Killer Joe Active Member

Hey, it's not often we get a celeb around here anymore and even though everyone did a good job contributing to the thread, like Mooseman said, it's good vindication. :D

Thanks Chris!
  7. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Um, to clarify, I never disagreed that it was illegal. I was just saying that it was a casual game way back like 12 years ago or whatever when friends aren't going to be paying too close attention to the whether they need to say what X is before responding.

Yes, in a tourney, especially nowadays, you'd back up and play it right.

:)
  8. EricBess Active Member

Wow...I didn't realize I had lost my celebrity status :( ;)
  9. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

You're still a celebrity to me! :D
  10. Killer Joe Active Member

Chris name-dropped you so you still have "celeb" status! :D
  11. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

I never get name-dropped, just dropped.... :(
  12. Killer Joe Active Member

That's because no one knows your IRL name, THAT'S why you don't get name dropped :rolleyes:
  13. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

what's an IRL name? Is this some kind of NASCAR nickname?????
  14. Killer Joe Active Member

You know, I think a NASCAR name would be good for you! :p
  15. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Can I be Dusty or Rusty or Junior?
  16. Killer Joe Active Member

How about Rusty Moosman? Didn't your hair use to be red? You know, when you had some? :p :D
  17. Oversoul The Tentacled One

But how do we know you're remembering that correctly? Surely it was AFTER you went senile... :p
  18. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

He must be senile, as my hair was never red........