Multi-player Elf deck

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
So, all you great deck builders, lets find out what everyone thinks would be the ultimate multi-player Elf deck?
What cards would go into it?
What enchantments?
What colors?
I want to build a great elf deck for our multi-player games.
Rules: 4 of each card only, minimum deck size 75 cards.
So I'll start:

4 Llanowar Elves

R

rokapoke

Gotta love the lifegain!

4 Llanowar Elves (Mooseman)
4 Wellwisher (Rokapoke)

B

Budget Player Cadet

I recommend Elvish Soultiller. There's bound to be a ton of Wrath/Damnation going around, and he'll let you restock your deck when he dies, so I'd go with
3x Elvish Soultiller

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Good ideas, BPC, but here's how we build decks at the CPA - you just contribute one card idea a day.

So pick your best one and post it for today, then tomorrow you can post another, etc. :)

B

Budget Player Cadet

Hey, Spidey, you know your way around, could you tell me the rules around here? I don't really know them. If i had to choose one, it would be the Elvish Soultiller. He allows you to overcommit, insuring that your deck will be restocked after a Wrath effect.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, that's about it, these are just "house" deck-building "rules", so that everyone can contribute but no one floods the deck in a day.

So I'll add your card:

4 Llanowar Elves (Mooseman)
4 Wellwisher (Rokapoke)
4 Elvish Soultiller (BPC)

B

Budget Player Cadet

Actually, I wouldn't recommend four, he's a five mana card, sort of on the high end for elves.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Hey this is for a live game.....
Recommend as many cards as you like and then our fantastic deck builders here can help me weed out the ones that don't make the grade.

I would like to thank everyone for their input beforehand..... I sux at deckbuilding.....

BPC: I agree that 4 is too many.

4 Llanowar Elves
4 Wellwisher
3 Elvish Soultiller
4 Wirewood Herald (to get what I need, is 4 too many?)

BTW - is there any elf control decks..... I know, I know, but I love control decks....

B

BigBlue

Hmmm....

How about Elvish Riders? They're always annoying.
Or, the one whose name I cannot recall - from Weatherlight-era (he finds others in your library and puts them in play for additional mana)...
Wirewood Hivemaster is neat...
Skyshroud Poacher is cool too...
And then there's the squirrel dude...
I like Gaea's Touch as an enchantment - more mana...

So many choices... But, I really like getting 2 or more...

http://ww2.wizards.com/gatherer/CardDetails.aspx?&id=4522

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
3 Nullmage Shepherd
4 Rhys the Exiled
4 Voice of the Woods
3 Wirewood Hivemaster
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Wellwisher
3 Elvish Soultiller
3 Wolf-Skull Shaman
2 Imperious Perfect
2 Seedborn Muse (Does this go in this?)
3 Lys Alana Huntmaster
2 Skyshroud Poacher
3 Coat of Arms
2 Beacon of Creation
2 Gaea's Touch
3 Wood Elves
2 Aspect of Mongoose
3 City of Solitude
2 Debtors' Knell
2 Elephant Grass
2 Gaea's Anthem

Alright, Where is this going?
Help!!!!!

B

Budget Player Cadet

Whoa. Okay, I don't recognize half of the cards on that list, and i am a total elf buff. If you're running four heralds, run four Caller of the Claw, another perfect answer to Wrath or Infest or Pyroclasm or anything else that's going to wipe all the puny elves out. And run four imperious perfects!!! It has to happen. They are the best non-rare elf booster ever!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Whoa, Mooseman, so is this NOT a Build-A-Deck exercise? In that case, I apologize to BPC as his first post with tons of suggestions have merit.

B

Budget Player Cadet

No, I get that. It's cool. But I have another suggestion.
4x Caller of the Claw.
Caller of the Claw has flash, and he nets you a 2/2 bear creature token for each creature who died that round. But if you want him, add
4x Wirewood Herald.
When Wirewood herald dies, you can search through your library for an elf and put it into your hand. Then you play the Caller with flash, and Boom! it's a perfect combo!
Thank you, Modus Pwens for correcting me.

M

Modus Pwnens

Into your hand if i'm not mistaken ;)
I used to play one in my extended UG opposition deck, works really well against boardclearers..

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
3 Nullmage Shepherd
4 Rhys the Exiled
4 Voice of the Woods
3 Wirewood Hivemaster
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Wellwisher
3 Elvish Soultiller
4 Caller of the Claw
3 Wolf-Skull Shaman
4 Imperious Perfect
2 Seedborn Muse (Does this go in this?)
3 Lys Alana Huntmaster
2 Skyshroud Poacher
3 Coat of Arms
2 Beacon of Creation
2 Gaea's Touch
3 Wood Elves
2 Aspect of Mongoose
3 City of Solitude
2 Debtors' Knell
2 Elephant Grass
2 Gaea's Anthem

What else? Add more or take out some? What is the victory solution here?
Remember this is Multi-player and 75 card minimum deck.

B

BigBlue

I'd run Hurricanes to do global damage and kill fliers... w/ your wellwishers you should be able to stay ahead.

B

Budget Player Cadet

3 Nullmage Shepherd: Get rid of two. One is enough, it isn't a particularly good card.
4 Rhys the Exiled: Get rid of one or two, but for entirely different reasons. Rhys is awesome, but he's legendary, and that means that if you get a second one in your hand, he'll probably not be that good for you.
4 Voice of the Woods: Way too many! this card is at the very top of the scale for elves, the limit should be five mana. Cut down to two or one copies.
3 Wirewood Hivemaster: Dunno, he's good though.
4 Llanowar Elves: Duh, that guy needs to be in. If you really want to abuse him, add a concordant crossroads. I've had games like this: first turn, Concordant Crossroads. Turn two: 4x Llanowar elves, priest of titania, Heedless one, berserk, attack for twelve.
4 Wellwisher: Another given. There is no disadvantage to this card.
3 Elvish Soultiller: Run two, or if everyone is packing Wraths and Damnations, three. Never more.
4 Wirewood Herald (to get what I need, is 4 too many?): Four is perfect. They're cheap, and they are incredibly annoying.
4 Caller of the Claw: I would cut one. There's a lot going on with the herald, so you'll be able to have him pretty easily. Don't worry.
3 Wolf-Skull Shaman: If you're running him, play the Wren's Run Packmaster. It'll give all your wolves deathtouch. He's definitely a solid choice; a 2/2 for two with such a solid effect has to happen.
4 Imperious Perfect: Given. This card rocks.
2 Seedborn Muse (Does this go in this?): Granted, it's good, but... It's not an elf. I am a serious purist. However, he interacts incredibly with imperious prefect+llanowar elves or wellwisher.
3 Lys Alana Huntmaster: I learned this lesson quickly: this card is just too expensive. If you have more luck here, go ahead, but I wouldn't play it.
2 Skyshroud Poacher: WTF? Why haven't I ever heard of this guy? That's bordering on ludicrous!! Add two more!!!!!
3 Coat of Arms
2 Beacon of Creation: Get rid of 'em. They aren't that useful.
2 Gaea's Touch
3 Wood Elves: Get rid of them. They seem good? They aren't that useful in elf decks. Get a few Priestesses of Titania and you'll understand what I mean.
2 Aspect of Mongoose: There are better cards for that. Get Eladamri, lord of the leaves. He gives all your elves forestwalk and Shroud.
3 City of Solitude: Definitely for multiplayer, other than that, sideboard it in constructed.
2 Debtors' Knell: ARE YOU NUTS?!?!?
2 Elephant Grass: See debtor's knell.
2 Gaea's Anthem: Use four.

Maybe add: 5 Island
4 intruder alarm
or something like that. If you're gonna run llanowar elves and the Perfect, why not have a way to go infinite with them?

Yeah, add Priestess of Titania to your deck, Heedless one (power and toughness equal to the elves in play, trample) and a few more boosters; Gaea's anthem, Eladamri, and Champion of the Elves are all good moves in that case. Anyways, try it out. And in multiplayer, people aren't going to be able to thank you enough for Concordant crossroads... until you smack them for twelve or twenty-four with a berserked Heedless one.
Give it a shot. :cool:
Oh yeah, and Essence wardens. Try them out (they're also elves, and interact nicely with Imperious prefect.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Remember this is MULTI-PLAYER, like 8 to 12 players....
And 75 card decks

So, Drop:
Lys Alana Huntmaster (5cc is too expensive?)
Nullmage Shepherd (In this group, Enchantment/artifact hate is a must)
Wood Elves (Hmmmmm)
Aspect of Mongoose (if Lord is not an Elf)
Debtors' Knell (steal other players creatures? That would be so cool....)
Elephant Grass (yeah this does suck)

Add:
Eladamri, lord of the leaves (is this an Elf now?)
Priestess of Titania
Heedless one
Concordant crossroads (not so sure about this)
Hurricane

Should I add any Rancor?

B

Budget Player Cadet

Yeah, Eladamri is definitely an elf, only he doesn't touch himself. The crossroads is just a card that puts the chaos in multiplayer. And about Spidey's Response: I just meant that the muse didn't do anything special with elves. Debtor's knell has simply no place in a mono-green elf deck. If you absolutely have to make it two-color, be my guest, but keep one thing in mind-it is NEVER a good idea to splash something with 3 or more off-color symbols. And yeah. All I can say to rancor is: Play four. In every green deck you have. Then, if you have any left over, tell me. And if you think that it's that necessary, I don't know your play group. Maybe the Nullmage is necessary, I don't know. But there are certainly better alternatives.
Okay, I take that back. I just looked, and if you want it to be reusable without going into another color, there's really nothing else. Use the Nullmage if you think you need it.