MTGO Clan Tournment

D

DÛke

I was just informed today that my MTGO clan is having a tournment, all free of charge and all, but there will be prizes. The catch is...the format is standard singleton peasant Magic, with 7th Edition allowed, Skull Clamp banned, and up to 5 Uncommons allowed. No rares, of course.

It sounds like fun, and instantly as soon as I heard "singleton," discard came to mind. It's cheap, easy, and cards like Mind Rot suddenly take on a new meaning.

The thing is, this will be the first game of its type in which I take part in...so I honestly have no idea of all the strategies one may implement to build a successful deck.

I started sketching out a decklist real quick and this is what I have so far (30 cards total, without basic lands):

Creatures (10)
1x Blood Pet
1x Crypt Rats (Uncommon)
1x Ravenous Rats
1x Chittering Rats
1x Ashen-Skin Zubera
1x Gibbering Kami
1x Skuttling Death
1x Gravedigger
1x Nim Replica
1x Anodet Lurker

Discard spells (6):
1x Duress
1x Distress
1x Mind Rot
1x Waking Nightmare
1x Wrench Mind
1x Necrogen Spellbomb

Other stuff (13):
1x Vicious Hunger
1x Essence Drain
1x Consume Spirit
1x Corrupt
1x Befoul
1x Barter in Blood (Uncommon)
1x Rend Flesh
1x Dark Banishing
1x Echoing Decay
1x Wail of the Nim
1x Night's Whisper (Uncommon)
1x Darksteel Brute (Uncommon)
1x Conjurer's Bauble

Land (1):
1x Stalking Stones (Uncommon)
Xx Swamps (Depending on the deck build)

I know a 2 or 3 color Soulshift deck can be another possibility and can overwhelm the opponent with the advantage of having reusable creatures, so I'm also thinking of taking that direction...

How does this look like? what other cards do you suggest to put in or take out? Any ideas?

M

Mikeymike

NOTE: Befoul was uncommon in 8th edition.

Cards I would consider, or at least look at:

Abyssal Specter - because it is a potential card-advantage machine in a format without many card-advantage engines.

Disciple of the Vault - because people are still obsessed with artifacts, and there are plenty of very good un/common ones to play.

Ebon Drake - it is a bit dangerous, but it is also a very aggressive card. They will have to kill it, or it is likely to kill them.

Fill with Fright - Card advantage/discard AND scry. Is good!

Flayed Nim - its dual abilities could be extremely annoying in this kind of format. If you've got mana, this thing is better than Wall of Souls.

Hideous Laughter - Mass removal

Megrim - Ehhh, maybe. You aren't quite running enough discard. Nah.

Mind Sludge - Massive discard potential

Nekrataal - He's the illest

Nausea - Potential card advantage

Nezumi Cutt-throat - Good if you are looking for aggro

Nezumi Grave-robber - A great card, but it would be tough to flip in this deck (unless you get it out on turn 2). Tough card.

Struggle for Sanity - More mass discard.

Terror - though it might run into artifacts.

In general, I think the disruption will go a long way for you, but you might be a bit low on quality beatdown. The Specter and Ebon Drake can help in this dept.

Cards I'm not crazy about:
- Blood Pet - you aren't playing many instants (which means you can easily take mana burn) and you aren't playing any 'sac this creature' effects to take real advantage of the B mana.
- Gibbering Kami: There are more efficient black flyers to play, you will RARELY ever use its soulshift (only 1 spirit to fetch), and you don't want to give your opponent any "Spirit" effects to play with.
- Scuttling death: better creatures to play at this cost (like Nekrataal), soulshift won't be played much
- Zubera: eh, I'm not nuts about it by itself, it needs multiples
- Anodent Lurker: You can do better for the cost
- Necrogen Spellbomb: I supposed it is ok, I just don't like the card. There is better discard out there
- Essence Drain: Not sure if the ability warrants the cost. Like the theme though.
- Stalking Stones: Good card, but I think other uncommons could be more valuable in here
- Befoul: Its a very good card, but I can't think of any lands that you'll see in this format that you'll HAVE to kill. 95% of the it will be a 2BB sorcery speed dark banishing.

Hope this helps!

I

Istanbul

Befoul was uncommon in 7th Edition, Mikey. But it's also common in CHK.

M

Mikeymike

Goes to show how many packs of Champions I bought (zero)

C

Captain Caveman

This might be fun... :)

Here are some additional cards to consider: (they are all common cards)

wicked akuba

innocent blood

reaping the graves

phyrexian rager

twisted abomination

barren moor

cabal torturer

Dross Golem

dirge of the dead + other cycling cards

Maybe I can build one and we can play-test online today or tomorrow.
Look me up later tonight or tomorrow.

:D