MTG online preview at ign

T

terzarima

I have to say, its all that AND a bag of chips inside the kitchen sink.

Z

Zadok001

Looks strong... Waiting for final belief. I saw good previews for things like Red Baron II, too. :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Although I hope they've learned from the Diablo experience and thought of a way to prevent hacks to add cards and such.

So does this mean Apprentice-sponsored tourneys are going to be extinct? I mean, this apparently includes prompts/help of how to play the phases and such.

And I hope they add multi-player in.

R

rkoelsch

I believ it is set up for multiplayer. I saw a screen that had 6 players on it. that would be confusing.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That screen from the link above shows lots of players, but it looks like they're arranged in duel format, across from each other from the table (you know, like how tourneys are set up). You just click on one and your opponent clicks on the other to join the duel. I don't know if it's specifically set up for a multiplayer option; I don't recall the preview mentioning it.

M

Mikeymike

This is bad, this is very bad. Now I really have no reason to leave my house.

Spidey brings up a good point though, how will they prevent card-hacks?

R

rkoelsch

my guess is the database is on the server side and they set up a check sequence when you sign on to verify if the cards in the database on your computer are the same as they are in the server. apprentice was probably a hobby project for some programmers and they didn't feel the need to make it more secure. what did they care they weren't being paid for it. just a theory. I am just starting in computers so I don't have much experience with hacking.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's probably true but from what little I know from Diablo and such, your character is stored on the company's server yet someone produced a hack for it last winter and the servers had to be reset from backups. That's why it's important to make sure they've plugged the hole or whatever allowed them to do it in the first place.

Z

Zadok001

I'm going to miss the ability to read my opponent's face and body language...

B

BigBlue

This game ROCKS. We were under an NDA which prevented us from discussing it previously, but it is as bad or worse on your time as real magic is (or was for those starting to burn out). Whenever you want to play a game, you can get one. Whenever you want to Draft, you can get one. You wanna play a sealed game at 1am, no problem, someone else will be there.

To the questions on "sneaking" cards in, at this point I think they have a pretty good system. The card database is checked when you log on, and also in tournaments, your deck is checked at the beginning of each match for legality. Your current deck is even kept at their site for league games.

There is Multiplayer including Attack Left(3-6, last man standing), 2-H Giant, 3-H Giant, and Emporer.

Drawbacks: Not all of the current cards are implemented yet (about 40 OD cards, 5 invasion cards, and a couple AP cards), Legacy sets will NOT be implemented, it is only the current standard and from what I hear old sets will be eliminated as they do in CM (Cardboard Magic, hehe), chess clock(long lenghthy topic on this stalling prevention mechanism).

But by far the positives outweigh the negatives on this product. The key thing to the success of this product will be the pricing. they haven't announced it yet, but I feel it can make or break this awesome game.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
How'd you get to be an Alpha tester?

And it seems to me that not using the older sets will turn off a lot of people who still want to use their old cards and play Type 1/1.5/Extended/whatever. That doesn't seem like a good decision... :confused:

T

terzarima

Drawbacks: Not all of the current cards are implemented yet (about 40 OD cards, 5 invasion cards, and a couple AP cards), Legacy sets will NOT be implemented, it is only the current [/B]
Well, it was much easier to get 4 Finkels when there are only 40 or so rares to get... buwahaha!!

B

BigBlue

I agree that Legacy cards would be cool. Wizards does not.

According to Leaping Lizards (the software Co responsible) Wizards did not want legacy in the program. I'm not sure why.

As to how I got in it, I am a Judge, and Wizards put feelers out to judges and Pro Tour players for the alpha tests. The only other person I know who got one in RL, is also a Judge. As to the people who are online, I have met non-judges who got invites as well. I'm not sure what exactly their criteria for selection was.

As much as I love this product I still feel the pricing will be very important. especially for new folks not getting the slew of points we got as alpha-testers. It would be difficult to build a good standard deck without using as many cards as we've gotten. Everyone looks for similar cards in trade (Urza's Rage, was and is nearly impossible to trade for even with all of them floating around) in alpha). We don't know what to expect as alpha testers, but we do know that we will not get to keep either our ratings or our card collection. Upon that announcement several players vanished who thought the free cases(literally) of e-cards we were given would be ours to keep. I have opened more boxes of OD than I ever would buy in cardboard form.

If you have any questions on MtGO, feel free to ask via email or here. The only other tester I know of on CPA is ademis22, who figured out I was one ages ago, though I never see him actually play. :) Using BigBlue on several boards has its advantages/disadvantages hehe.

I applied to be a Mod on the game, and we'll see how that goes.

R

rkoelsch

I was on MTG news looking at their discussion of this program and one of the people there came up with a good suggestion. That point be included in real product. Buy a pack of cards in RL get a point. I think this would be a good marketing strategy. Also Big Blue, it is my understanding that if you wanted to play casual you could use any cards that are allowed, not just the cards that you opened. Those are for league and draft play. but I could be wrong.

T

terzarima

Meh, I was waiting for Oddyssey to come out, so I was saving up my points... I'll be on a lot more now.

Some people have put forth the theory that people with pro tour points and judges were the first people to be invited to thet alpha testing.

I agree completely, I usually only buy 3 boosters in RL, but in MTGo I've "bought" probably boxes. Its a great program, and like Bigblue, I'll answer any questions that I can legally do so.

Where do you apply to be a Mod, Mr. Blue?