4. Skizzik

Spells
4. Assault/Battery
4. Call of the Herd
4. FIRES OF YAVIMAYA
4. Hull Breach
2. Savage Twister
2. Serra’s Blessing

This deck has been specifically designed for my monthly “Rogue League” game at GASP game day for August. v1.0 didn’t include white, instead it had two Grab the Reins. The white is for Serra’s Blessing* so that I can attack and not leave myself vulnerable to attacks. How cruel, I can have my cake and eat it too!

Muwhahahahahahahaha!!!!!

How lame is Horned Kavu? Pretty lame. Then I spotted a casual deck somewhere online that ran it in a “FUN” Fires deck. The guy said it was to bring back Blastoderm. But I laughed because his deck didn’t have FTK. So I thought, “WOW, a ‘not-too-bad’ p/t of 3/4 creature for 2 mana (RG) with the drawback of Gating a red or green creature, AND it doesn’t target.” Humph, DAMN GOOD!

Hull Breach is another LAME card except I never noticed the THIRD choice: or-Destroy target artifact and enchantment. Card advantage, permanent advantage, either way it’s a damn good TWO-FER!!!

The reason Saproling Burst is not included is that I needed some staying-power with my creatures. If I would make the deck for dueling, then in goes the Bursts. Version 1.0 also had Phantom Centaur (a 5/3 w/Pro Black) but there aren’t enough black mages at this tourney. I replaced them with Horned Kavu.

I may still replace Assault/Battery with Fire/Ice. It’s just so good because you can split the 2 damage and besides, I’m running four Call of the Herd, do I really need to have more Elephant spells?

Jade Leech? Yes, it has staying power. NO, I don’t want to pay extra for my BoP’s et al green creatures.

Savage Twister is just,…um,…,well, SAVAGE. Since I am limited on my ways to kill Flying creatures (FTK and Assault) I thought a solid board sweeper would do the trick. Besides, I can’t stand a deck without at least a smidget of ‘Control’. :)

I am very likely to face massive decks that draw poorly. All of the players, except myself, make these massive 100+ card decks that take forever to develop. Not many are strong themed either with little to no synergy. I am sure that I face a Sliver utility deck, again, a massive deck AND without counter magic. Everyone plays at least 2 to 3 Tormod’s Crypt (not an issue for me this time) and a plethora of Howling Mine (which IS good for me this time).

Any way, any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Thanks.
~Mark O.

*a white enchantment that let’s your creatures attack without tapping

T

train

It looks like it would work well - and from the sounds of it there's not much to advise on...

I'd throw something in like a Loxodon Warhammer - it's equipment - perfect for when you gate something, and it stays in play...

:D

Killer Joe

I traded mine to Spidey! :rolleyes:

No problem, the shop will have them a plenty :)

Life-gain, yeah, that's the ticket.

Thanks. :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, I finally got some Warhammers (got ZERO in a box of Mirrodin, complaint is already posted and in the past :) )

I would try this in my group except I'm missing some of the cards, especially popular ones like FTK, Fires, and Call of the Herd (Skizzik, A/B are the other ones) Maybe I'll find some substitutes and work up to this :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
You know, when I first saw this decklist, I couldn't understand the whole "no Bursts" thing. I guess they're not as nice in group games, so it really does make sense...

Man, the old Fires decks should have been called "Burst" decks though. Saproling Burst was the card that made the deck, Fires was just a nice card to help the Bursts pack more power...

M

Mikeymike

Shivan Wurm is a must in here. It duplicates the Horned Kavu effect, and it gives you a frightening hasted creature. In some cases it is probably superior to skizzik. I played it in my old MP-Fires deck (which too was RGw), and it was easily the most dangerous card in the deck. It was a permanent that HAD to be dealt with, and it recycled my 187 creatures.

I'm not sure about Assault/Battery for MP. It's not a bad card, but it just not a huge impact card (does that make any sense?). I'd go with more utility creatures myself, starting with Uktabi Orangutan OR Keldon Vandals (4/1 haste isn't bad at all, with haste the echo likely won't matter). Hmmm, forget that. Thornscape Battlemage is definitely the way to go.

I feel like a fun card for this deck would be Savage Beating. Played right, you could probably take out 2 people in one shot. Not bad for a $1 rare.

Here's a slight variant
Lands
6. Forest
6. Mountains
2. Savannah
2. Taiga (do you have 4?)
4. Wooded Foothills

Creatures
4. Birds of Paradise
4. Blastoderm
4. Flametongue Kavu
4. Horned Kavu
3. Skizzik
3. Thornscape Battlemage (direct damage and Art. killing that can be recycled)
2. Shivan Wurm (personally I'd go 3 Wurm, 2 Skizzik)

Spells
4. Call of the Herd
4. FIRES OF YAVIMAYA
4. Hull Breach
2. Savage Twister (2. Savage Beating if you want to have some fun)
2. Serra’s Blessing

T

train

spidey - there should be som A/B listed in my trade thread if you decide you need them...

The Wurm is a great idea, sorr I didn't think about it earlier...

but if you run "white" even just a little - some fleetfoot panthers could also do some work...;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I saw your list, but I don't have anything you want (that I'm not playing with, like Wake). You want most of the "heavy-hitters" :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Sorry, but I can't get Burst out of my head. So I just have to point out that in my old RG deck, I really like the Pandemonium/Saproling Burst combo. It spells death to an opponent, and is even more insane with Fires. Plus Pandemonium is sweet with Horned Kavu, Blastoderm, and pretty much any creatures that a Fires deck would use, except BoP or something...

T

train

spidey - sent you a PM...

the burst is okay - but not in MP, when you need more lasting creatures for the Umph!...

Now - if you run burst and eon hub - you've got something there...:D

Killer Joe

Oversoul: The tournament has anywhere from 7 to 10 players. As for the Saproling Bursts, in playtesting they were really nice but that was for dueling. Once I kinda simulated Multi-player then they were bad, real bad :(. I never played "Fires" when it was type II regulation only because it didn't have BLUE in it :)p train). Blue counter magic based decks are NOT good for MP. So anyway, I'm new to playing this deck, hell, I'm new to playing "Beat-Down" altogether,
~ all of you are to say: "...hell, I'm new to playing "Beat-Down"..." :D ~

Mikemike: ZOIKS! :eek: Shivan Wurm! OMG! That's awesome! I have one in my trade binder. I'll go to the shop tonight and get another or two. YEs - YES - YES how horrific for my unknowing opponents! I pity them now. Sadly, I only have 2 Taiga's but the mana base is nearly smooth as I need it. Savage Beating? What does it do? LMK. Ya know, I HAD Thornscape Battlemages in Version 1.0. Out go the Ass/Batt :cool:

Train/Spidey: hey - Hey - HEY!!!!! Go trade on somebody elses thread :p

Shivan Wurm, .....I think I LOVE you (ba-bada-ba-bum)

T

train

Well - If KJ had some Eon Hubs - he could use them with burst... ;)

The Wurm will be strong in MP - but could also make you a target - some moment's peaces could play well if you can't get the warhammers...

C

Captain Caveman

Rith, the Awakener might be a good addition. You have the white to cast it so that's not a problem. Running just one Rith is kind of random but should be good if you can draw it.

The dreaded Skullclamp might be a nice idea too, if the group tends to use mass(creature) removal effects.

The Kavu is pretty strong but you "may" not have enough low CC creatures to make it worthwhile. If they tend to clear the board a lot then it "might" be difficult to cast. That sounds silly but since it gates it could be stuck in your hand. Again thats a maybe!

You might consider the Trap-Door spider "Kavu" in that slot if you play with the Shivan Wurm(To cut down on the gate dudes.)

Killer Joe

Train: I don't need no stinkin' E-Hubs (Frrrap!) excuse me :( I MIGHT be a target? Well, HELL YES, I'll be a target! Playing with them the first time in June it took 10:05:35 (hrs./min./sec.) to knock 'em all out and last time it took only until turn 6 to take 'em all out. "TARGET"? I should think so! But like I've said before, it takes mostly everyone's deck lots of time to develop due to them not being disciplined enough to stick with a 60 card deck. I draw what I need WHEN I need it waaaaay more times than they do. I thiought about Moment's Peace but I also thought about Tangle (1G It's a Fog and the attacking creatures don't untap during their next untap phase. - EVIL).

And did I ever mention that those that DO play blue carry very little counter-magic, so that's not too much of a fear of mine.

Cap't. Cav: I no Rith and besides Shivan Wurm is my ticket for now. I'll be including two of them. Skullclamp IS good, but in this tournament there's a "Virtual" Howling Mine starting on turn 7. These games tend to go long so I don't want to deck myself. As for the "Gating" creatures I think they'll work out very well. In fact here's my new list:

RGw Fires v2.5
Format: Multi-Player

Lands
6. Forest
6. Mountains
2. Savannah
2. Taiga
4. Wooded Foothills

Creatures
4. Birds of Paradise
4. Blastoderm
4. Flametongue Kavu
4. Horned Kavu
2. Shivan Wurm
2. Skizzik
4. Thornscape Battlemage

Spells
4. Call of the Herd
4. FIRES OF YAVIMAYA
4. Hull Breach
2. Savage Beating (Thanks Mikeymike)
2. Serra’s Blessing

The six Gating creatures are for replenshing the Blastoderms and sending back my FTK's and the Thornscape Battlemages to repeat their magic. :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Since you probably won't be able to kill EVERYONE quickly, wouldn't some (or all it takes is one really) be able to develop defenses that would keep your beatdown at bay, then either kill you or let you deck yourself?

Killer Joe

But I'll be honest, in the two games I've participated in with these folks not one has ever brought a,...um,....how can I say this without sounding arrogant,.......a Tier 1 deck. :rolleyes:

For my last report for July's game I asked all of them to give me the name of the deck they were playing (an achetype, at least) none could. Pretty much a lot of old cards from Mirage and before but not really powerful ones except a few like: Diabolic Tutor & Balance.

Most of their decks are really slow to develop, unfocused, and have at least 100+ cards in them. In my circle of friends I'm pretty much an avarage casual player and a struggling tournament player at best.

My goal will be to lay down an evenly surpressive attack. Once I get Serra's Blessing on the table I won't have to worry about being attacked. As for being 'ganged-up' on, yeah, it's most likely that'll happen.

I'm playing this deck to show my new play group that I can also play 'beat-down' decks which happen to be my least favorite to play. My first deck I played against was my RGW Seinfeld deck, a control-style deck that slowly takes board control via Powerstone Minefield backed up with utility such as Seal of Disenchant, Balance, Fanning the Flames et al. It took me over 10 hrs. to beat everyone. The next deck I played against them was my version of Elf Ball using the Pemmin's Aura/Wirewood Channeler/Flamewave Invoker combo. I took them all out in SIX turns. So I made a pledge to myself that I would play a beat-down deck this time to show that I am no trickster. If I win this month's game then I'll feel that I have won by skills and not by fancy rares.

I'm not playing against 'kiddies' here. Most of them are 25+ and a few are 40+ (including me :D). There is one youngster (15 yrs. old) and he's got skills more than the rest. So they're all smart enough and knowledgeable enough to do their homework/research. So I won't feel so bad after this month's game because after each of the past two games I have said where I've gone on the 'net to read articles and other stuff. Hopefully some of them have listened.

BTW: I play tested the Savage Beatings and although their good, I'm sticking with the board sweeper Savage Twister. Thanks for the input, though, Mikemike.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ah, so you've won with control and combo. Now it's time to use aggro? Will you play prison next time?

Killer Joe

Okay, I'll be submitting my GASP August Rogue League report sometime this next week. But here's a quick pre-view:

I'll be talking about the "new" player playing BW control, the continued spirialing fall of the first place guy and the ledgendary "Sliver Queen" mage still at large.

As for my RGw Fires deck? Well, I'm now in second place overall at 30 points.

June: Control Deck
July: Combo Deck
August: Beat-Down Deck
September: Xxxxxx Deck called: La Bastille en Seville (whatinthehell is that?!) :confused:
Oct. ? maybe LD