MP Loxodon/Elephant deck

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking of building one just because I like elephants and have 2 Elephant Graveyards. The problem is that I don't have a lot of Loxodons and not sure what to do about their relatively high cc without going away from theme. So should I stick with solely Loxodons or include green so I can get those elephant cards?

Currently of the Loxodons I only hjave:

Loxodon Anchorite 0
Mender 10
Mystic 1
Peacekeeper 0
Punisher 1
Stalwart 0
Warhammer 3

T

train

I got what you need here spidey - just let me know... plenty of extras roaming around...

I think splashing green gives you a lot - elephant ambush, call of the herd, other staples, etc...

It can also increase your mana production - wild growths, etc... or you could run medallions, helms of awakening, planar gate, etc...

especially urza's incubator...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, since they're all expensive, I don;t know if I need 4s of all. Maybe just 2.

So should I just make it strictly a creature deck or are there any cool tricks that are in theme?

T

train

Metamorphic wurm works great with the graveyard...

Crazed armodon also has decent synergy with the gy...

endangered is good if you go all elephants...

the anchorite I should have for you... it and the newer elephants are okay - but not cheap...

Rabid is nice...

seems there's more green than white - but the newer sets closed the gap...

The warhammer is nice to have in there

I think you could even go Ivory tower, mask, etc... - you know - tusks - ivory...

you could even run hunting grounds...

There's always overrun...

M

Mikeymike

You can go with "tribe friendly" cards to help you get your big CC stuff out faster. Belbe's Portal and Urza's Incubator are good starts. Cryptic Gateway could work, but since their are very few cheap loxodons, it will be tougher to take advantage of.

You could also try general mana acceleration. Artifact mana and/or green accel.

Hunting Grounds is strong if you can get threshold easily, but I don't really see Loxodon's being able to support a "fill up your graveyard" mechanic.

O

Orodruin

I'd definitely go for adding green to the deck, or even making the deck mono green, since most of the Loxodon's really don't seem that great for the high mana cost. A possible mono green elephant beatdown/control deck could be:

"Grape Juice" (or Elephants in the Vineyard) :)
4 Endangered Armodon - A 4/5 for 4 mana is some good in a deck where the drawback isn't an issue.
4 Call of the Herd - Simply a great card.
4 Trained Armodon - Relatively cheap for an elephant, at a mere 3 mana.
4 Wild Elephant - Hmmm... Vanilla Elephant, can be replaced by something cooler.

4 Eladamri's Vineyard - Need lots of mana quickly if you're going to cast your high casting cost elephants.
4 Vine Trellis - See above. Also stems early game tides of weenies.
3 Naturalize - Good general utility.
3 Creeping Mold - More of the same.
3 Overrun - The game-ending spell. Fairly easily castable with Vineyard mana.
4 Hail Storm - Helps against early weenie rushes without doing much damage to your own creatures.
3 Alpha Status - Whilst it's not the greatest in a deck with relatively expensive elephants, it nevertheless makes for huge elephants late game.

4 Elephant Graveyard - Pretty obvious.
A bunch of forests.

Not the most interesting Elephant deck, I guess, and severely lacking in card draw, but the best thing I could come up with for mono green. A deck that combines lifegain/creature pumpers (Warhammer, Armadillo Cloak, other equipment, maybe Empyrial Armor) with Elephants (Loxodon Punisher especially) and Well of Lost Dreams is another possibility, and way higher up on the cool scale.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I really want it to be a white Loxodon deck just to see how it can do. I only mentioned green because before Mirrodin, that had the majority of Elephant cards (and probably still does). But I was intrigued by the Loxodon type...

T

train

Mono-white...

here we go... though not too much utility... you could easily throw in utility in place of the equipment - but banding, with some of that stuff is just cool...

Anchorite 4
Mystic 3
Peacekeeper 4
Punisher 3
Stalwart 4
Noble Elephant 3
War Elephant 3

2 Loxodon Warhammer
4 bone splitter
2 fireshrieker
2 Mask of Memory
2 Whispersilk Cloak
2 Lightening Greaves

2 Elephant Graveyards
2 Kjeldoran Outposts - the picture just looks like what hannibal did with his elephants... and you can make "men" to tend the elephants...
18 Plains

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe I'll try monowhite and see how it goes and add green later if necessary.

I was thinking a Sol Ring, Land Tax and/or plains fetch lands, a Wrath of God, and Swords to Plowshares would be good. I'll have to come up with a decklist with what I have so far...

O

Orodruin

The Warhammer and the Peacekeeper don't really have the best synergy as you're basically donating the Peacekeeper by having both in play at the same time.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, him I probably wouldn't use (which doesn't matter since I don't own any anyway :) ). He's kinda like the green Ghazban Ogre and isn't really suited for a theme - more like a special constructed or draft or something.

T

train

If you run the peacekeeper with eon hubs - you wouldn't have any problem...;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but that seems like a waste of the Hubs for a little theme deck like this. I'd rather use the Hubs for those other ideas you had like cumulative upkeep or echo cards.

If I had some to begin with ;)

T

train

It is a waste for one card...

Well - if you drop the peacekeepers, then there's definitely room for utility...

I think you might want some sort of recursion at the least - especially if you plan on using land tax... Feldon's cane or Soldevi digger...

My second attempt:

Anchorite 4
Mystic 3
Punisher 3
Stalwart 4
Noble Elephant 3
War Elephant 3

2 Loxodon Warhammer
4 bone splitter
2 fireshrieker

4 swords
3 Abeyance
2 Wrath of god (or Harsh Mercy)
1 Feldon's cane

2 Elephant Graveyards
2 Kjeldoran Outposts - the picture just looks like what hannibal did with his elephants... and you can make "men" to tend the elephants...
18 Plains

H

Homestar

maybe since your elephents have such high cc's you could try pacifisms and arrest to hold off and play like 40 to 45% of your deck mana so u never miss a drop? i would go with 36 spells 24 mana. maybe SPLASH green for minor accel. like rampant growth. or talismans or myrs to speed up.

T

train

It all depends on the decklist he tries to play...

The swords are there for that reason - but wing shards could also work...

Cessation might also be good to look at...

T

train

yep - mainly because it likes it's owner... and comes back when it would disappear...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'm confused here. I don't know what some of those cards are, but how does Peacekeeper help this deck?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's the Loxodon Peacekeeper, not the regular one. I stopped putting Loxodon in front since I thought it was clear from the subject that I'm talking about the elephant/Loxodon cards :)

Yeah, I'd probably do Cessation for MP play so I can re-use it. I like green's acceleration rate but I'm also hoping that in MP play, my slightly slower development will be more forgiving (I'll still have artifact mana).

I still gotta build it and play though.