Moxradio

G

Gizmo

Picked this up on the grapevine...

Coming soon, Moxradio, an internet magic 'radio station' featuring monthly two-hour episodes of magic chat, fun, humour, ideas, set and deck deconstruction. Aimed at everyone from the slightly casual to the slightly tournamenty. $30 per year subscription.

How does that sound to you? Would you be interested in the idea of the downloadable magic discussion you could listen to on your ipod or in car or wherever? Doesnt two hours sound too long, and monthly too infrequent? And is there a reason why nobody else has done it? You guys are part of the target audience, would you pay for this?

Thoughts, comments, rants, all appreciated. If such a thing did exist what would make you want to subscribe? Top names? WOTC interviews? More humour? Less humour? More casual? Less casual?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I think if something like this was too succeed, it would need to appeal to the tournament crowd more. While we (the casual audience) would gladly listen to a fun-filled hour of talk concerning new multi-player ideas, the brunt of Magic Players play to win.

Having Top Players would be must, such as interview or "tips from the pros". Of course, there'll have to be SOME humor.

That's my two cents. May I have a receipt?

Ransac, cpa trash man

G

Gizmo

I must admit my first reaction was much the same. I could see somebody with their $30 in hand and looking between Brainburst and Moxradio deciding where to spend their money...

I believe it's supposed to be a bit like being sat in on a group of the top players as they chat about magic strategy, ideas, anecdotes etc between rounds. Thus funny and entertaining but also honestly informative.

Is jumping on the podcast bandwagon the right next move for magic strategy and commentary? And I guess it's got to appeal to both people who havent subscribed to Brainburst and also to people who already have, so it has to compete but offer something genuinely different at the same time.

But ok, let's flip it. if it was aimed at YOU (thats the royal you, ie. whoever is reading this) what would make YOU want to subscribe?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
The "Spam Song" played continuously in the background, at least 40 references to the Ransac/Monkey 2008 campaign, and 9 decklists per show based around Dwarven Pony as the kill card.

Okay, seriously now. It would have to have a decent "pro player every show", and those players would need to be willing to give "tips and tricks" that the average Joe Magic wouldn't be aware of. Some kind of inside info on the next set (perhaps a monthly interview with an R&D team member) to keep listeners interested. Of course, some kind of decent give-away each show. A few references to the Ransac/Monkey 2008 campaign per show (WE WILL WIN THIS TIME!!!!!!!!).

Overall, I'd need to hear things that I wouldn't be able to find just browsing the boards (yes, I know I could just look for someone to post a show script, but that's besides the point).

Ransac, cpa trash man

VOTE RANSAC/MONKEY 2008!!!!!!!!!!

N

Notepad

I like the idea of a Magic radio show, but I think it should be general card gaming, perhaps, that way there's fresh content to talk about rather than just the latest metagame for Magic. There's a lot of discussion to be had on classic games, or the Vs. system that's growing in popularity.

That said, I think the other guys have it wrong about you need pro player assistance. You can have a casual, funny atmosphere wherein some informative discussion takes place. Hell, there's a million and a half successful morning radio shows that basically operate on that content described.

Just, you need to ditch the pay. You ain't gonna profit unless you do like the others said, and try going pro. But, if just operating costs are your concern, then I'm sure there are actual broadcast radio methods out there, ala 2600's "Off the Hook" program. You just need to loophole it into being a community service / arts type of thing. And that way, you can still go in the net but also be on real airwaves.

Hope my suggestions helped....

O

orgg

There'd need to be a good variety of music, some truly useful current strategy, and some good humor as well. Devo would be a good start for one, Flores for the second, and if someone could locate Mark Gottlieb, he could take care of the third... Unless Seffy is avaible? That'd add a fourth, Bile and Rants with Blood, Guts, and Humor.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't pay for it - I do better reading the stuff (and it's archived so I can go back). I also just listen to music anyways on the radio, although I'm not yet willing to pay for satellite radio so I hop around a lot (or put in my own music).

If it was free and I could get over listening to "talk" on the radio, off the top of my head, I'm not sure what I'd want to listen to. Probably not decklists, as there's no way to remember them. Maybe inside stories or humor, like the Duelist's According to Mr. Pling, or funny stuff at tourneys (I like the off-beat stuff).

N

Notepad

Oh jeez Orgg, thanks for the nomination! I have the PERFECT male physique for radio! Er, I mean...personality...

I'm obnoxious, fat, rather lazy, and I like to rant. What better for an Adam Corrloa-esque bit on the radio? Then again, I would also be perfect for a fake news bit (Mr. Pling). Oh man, that stuff would be awesome! :D

Though, if I were ever anywhere near the program, they'd never in their greatest dreams be able to charge, haha! Nobody would pay to hear me rant, are you serious, Orgg!?!

But enough spotlight whoring...who the heck really is behind this show, anyway? Who are their personalities?

N

Notepad

Congrats, and best of luck to the guy. I hate to projectile defecate on his dream, though...but: Ain't gonna stick around long charging $30 to listen to a Magic guru talk about Magic.

G

Gizmo

They're all friends of mine doing it, as I still think its a really **** idea that has 1 in 1000 chance of working.

N

Notepad

Hey, I'm all for a cool idea. Cool you know them. Maybe you can try to talk some sense into them. ;) Thirty British Pounds for a 12-episode subscription to Magic talk? Dude, I can read decklists for free, and if I wanna hear talk radio, I've got plenty of AM stations I can tune in to. Also free.

I understand needing to pay for bandwidth. Went to their site and saw it was in a total mess since they seem to have overused their provider's bandwidth limit or something. Man...are they actually drawing that many people downloading the free sample, or are they using a very cheap provider? Maybe they should get ads on the show, pay for things that way.

N

Notepad

I just thought I'd add that Brainburst/TGCPlayer has a downloadable "radio" program as well. And its totally free. I'd rather get free. ;) And I'll note, the Brainburst site provides easy download with forum discussion all without having to subscribe ahead of time. Much nicer than having to subscribe before even sampling, as Mox Radio forces ya to.

I've downloaded a couple episodes and will be listening to them at work, so I'll let y'all know if the Brainburst version is any good. From the topic bullets and forum responses, it seems like it is.

N

Notepad

Not wanting to double-post, but I wanted to let y'all know I did listen to about half the TCGPlayer Radio, and it is awesome! Well, for geeks sitting around talking Magic. Neat interviews, some deck ideas, contests, and even a bit of humor (which is above and beyond any of the drivvel Rosewater tries in his articles). Mind you, this is the free MP3 feed over at Brainburst, and you don't even need to subscribe to the iPod podcasting junk. Just download simply from Brainburst's site. And it seems they try to keep it weekly. A free weekly show...how cool. ;)

With something like this around, who the heck would pay 30 bucks for a meager twelve episodes?

G

Gizmo

ooooooooh I'm so excited... and I just can't hide it... woah woah woah woah woaahawoaoaaaoah

O

orgg

You just got stock in Moxradio before they dumpped it all, leaving you as sole controller that brought the company back up to snuff?

No, wait... That'd be stupid.

G

Gizmo

I explained why but just had second thoughts and deleted it - best keep my lips sealed for now in case I blow the whole deal.