Mother of Runes

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by superguy, Apr 1, 2000.

1. superguy Helpful CPA Member MAGICBOY

Oh sweet, we got a question section. Ill start off with a question that pisses me off. Can mother of runes block something, then tap itslef to get protection from a color of attacker?
  2. Apollo Bird Boy

yes, it can, and it can still deal the damage too

Apollo
  3. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Yep...
    I love Classic Rules!
    And I love this new section! Thanks Ed!
  4. arhar Member

Since I just played last weekend in a tournament where there was a huge argument, here's the trick:

If you want your Mother of Runes to block, tap to give pro-color and STILL do damage, you gotta give the creature pro-color after the damage gets put on the stack (but before the stack resolves). This way, your creature (it may be Mother herself) will deal damage, and all damage dealt to it by will be reduced to 0. Although this won't help against Trample damage - if pro-green Mother will block Weatherseed Treefolk, you'll take 4 points of trample if you do the trick above, and if you give Mother pro-green BEFORE damage is dealt, you'll take all 5. Ufffff
  5. Mordecai New Member

I'm sorry, arhar, but you're wrong. The 6th Edition rules are very clear about the fact that tapped blockers STILL DEAL DAMAGE.

That threw a lot of people for a loop where I play too.
  6. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Mordeci: Huh? That's what arhar was saying... blockers deal damage.

arhar: Under the new trample rules, I don't think it matters when you give Mother pro-green. The attacker still has to assign lethal damage to the blocker in any case.

All: Again, not to belabor the obvious, but Mother cannot give herself pro if she has summoning sickness.
  7. Gizmo Composite: 1860

Spidey:
    Yeah, but Arhar suggested that they didn`t - that you had to put damage on the stack before you used the MoR, or she wouldn`t deal the damage.

Re [IMG]rotection
    The Trample player can choose how much damage to deal the MoR and how much the palyer behind BEFORE the MoR`s ability comes inot effect. It would be sensible to assume that the MoR will gain Protectiona nd so he need only deal 1 point of damage to it, and assign the other four points to the player behind regardless of the Prot.
    This is why Stompy beats WWeenie.
    :)
  8. arhar Member

Err I don't think the Green player has any choice in the matter. If I block a Trample creature with a random creature and after damage has been put on a stack but before it resolves, give it pro-green, the trampling creature deals the EXACT damage equaling to the pro-green creatures' power. And the rest tramples over.

Example:

Weatherseed Treefolk attacks, I block with Steadfast Guard. If I give Steadfast Guard pro-green before the damage is put on the stack, I take 5. If I as I said above, I take 3.

I believe, that was the ruling at Neutral Ground two weeks ago...
  9. supascrub New Member

An attacker only has to assign an amount of damage equal to what it takes to kill the creature if the attacker has trample. But the player who is attacking can choose to put more damage on the defending creature if they think their opponent might do something to save the creature. Example: Player A attacks with a rancored albino troll. Player B blocks with a llanowar elf. In most cases player A would assign one point to the elf and four to his opponent. But if player A thinks that his opponent has a giant growth he can assign four damage to the elf and one to his opponent to make sure the elf dies.
  10. Gizmo Composite: 1860

Yup.
    (Gotta love having the last word)
    :)
  11. Gizmo Composite: 1860

Damn!
    That was my 100th Post! I can`t believe I wasted my centenial post on 'yup'.
    :(
  12. Gizmo Composite: 1860

And there was something else I wanted to say as well - looks like I`m not having the best day here.

Arhar: You are wrong.
    To use your example when it comes to the Weatherseed Treefolk dealing damage the Protection has no influence and so the Treefolk deals 2 to the Guard, and 3 to you, Protection or not.

Protection is a very specific ability that only does four things, very specifically:
    1. Cannot be targetted (damage assignment is not targetted, otherwise I`d be playing four Deadly Insect in EVERY deck)
    2. Cannot be blocked (not relevent)
    3. Enchantments fall off.
    4. Damage is reduced to 0 (this is a damage prevention effect, and so it occurs AFTER damage has been assigned - it is not the same as the effect of a Fog Bank, for instance, which is "Fog Bank neither deals nor recieves combat damage")

None of these four effects prevent the Treefolk from assigning the damage to the Guard, and so if a 2/2 Pro:Green Guard blocks the Treefolk the Treefolk player is obliged to assign AT LEAST (but not necessarily only) two damage to the Guard (which will then be reduced to 0).

The Neutral Ground ruling was wrong.
  13. arhar Member

Goddammit!!

Two rulings were issued in my store - both of them are wrong!!! What is that? Is my store a "gathering-of-people-who-don't-know-any-rules-but-claim-to-be-judges"??
  14. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

arhar...Welcome to the wonderful world of level-1 judges... ;)
  15. The Magic Jackal Veteran CPA Member<BR><font co

also, welcome to death
    <-------(19)-------
  16. Gryphonclaw New Member

Thank you Gizmo for confirming something that I have always suspected.
    And thank you Chaos Turtle for confirming by not denying this rule.

[Edited by Gryphonclaw (04-04-2000 at 08:17 PM).]
  17. themadkaiser New Member

Wall of Glare is an 0/5 wall that can block any number of attackers. If 7 big mean greenies come at me, can I block all of them with Wall of Glare, then tap Mother of Runes to give it pro from green and reduce ALL damage to zero?
  18. Limited Yes, but we won't care

Sure you can. I any of those creatures have trample though, you'll take all the trample damage (if the non-trample damage was 5 or more).

And technically, all damage is prevented, not reduced to zero

(edit: technicly.. what was I thinking?)
  19. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Looks like the mad kaiser is also a mad thread necromancer! Welcome to the team. :D
  20. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

But at least he was on-topic... :)