Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crovax

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Squee, Cabin Boy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ertai is awesome. I would easily have picked Volrath, but he was not a crew member of the Weatherlight.

Ferret

Staff member
I liked Miri - not just because she was the Green character, but because she had style and died that way...

-Ferret

"Squee is amusing, but not worthy of consideration"

C

Chaos Turtle

Mirri was the coolest cuz she DIED man! For a cause! Plus she threatened to show Squee his kidney and his spleeny. Plus she was WILD in bed!

D

DÛke

Crovax.

…Subtly tragic…

Volrath and Greven are unforgettable as well. Did you guys notice how no new characters really surpassed those of the Weatherlight saga? I loved the age of the Weatherlight.

I think they need to stop coming up with a new world every 1 or 2 blocks and start something grandiose, something that becomes as memorable as the Weatherlight saga.

I accidentally voted for...Orim...and not Crovax. [edit]Fixed - TomB :)[/edit]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
On one of the Orim cards (possibly Orim, Samite Healer) she really looks like she's a man. And her boyfriend, Cho-Manno, Revolutionary sure looks like an old lady...

Volrath was possibly the coolest character in the entire history of the game, I hate the way they just casually got rid of him. Then again, they also got rid of Urza, Serra, and Yawgmoth in the same pointless fashion, so it's not surprising...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I voted for Mirri as well because I thought her card WAS pretty good. Went in my Manabarbs deck back then :)

Originallu posted by Duke
I think they need to stop coming up with a new world every 1 or 2 blocks and start something grandiose, something that becomes as memorable as the Weatherlight saga.
Actually, isn't that what made a lot of people sick? That the Weatherlight Saga never seemed to end... it covered what, 4 blocks or so?

E

Ephraim

The Weatherlite Saga technically extended from Antiquities to Apocalypse. It just didn't mention the Weatherlite characters themsleves until Visions (Sisay's Ring.) As for my favourite character, it was Ertai. Sure, he was smug and arrogant, but he was just as tragic as Crovax, if not more so. After Crovax fulfilled his curse and became evil, he showed no yearning for his past life. If you look at cards like Ertai's Trickery though, Ertai reveals that he regrets his corruption by Phyrexia, to wit:
"Don't worry, Gerrard," said Ertai. "I'm sure the crew will come to your rescue as quickly as they came to mine."
He also has some of the coolest personality-revealing flavour text ever, as seen on Ertai, The Corrupted, to wit:
Altered by Phyrexian science, corrupted by black mana, and twisted by rage, Ertai still looked in the mirror and saw only glory.

D

DÛke

Oversoul:

Volrath was possibly the coolest character in the entire history of the game, I hate the way they just casually got rid of him.
Um, not to mention the horrible card they gave him. I remember being so excited when I saw that Volrath was finally going to have his own card; I thought he was going to be U/B for some reason. As the information slowly unvield, I lost hope. Nothing was as crushing, however, as actually witnessing the actual card they gave him. Singlehandedly it dealt a good blow, good enough that I wanted to quit the game more seriously than ever before. And I did. They could have done so many great things, but they settled for nothing. Even Greven is more playable, in fact, I think all other Legends in the entire saga are more playable than Volrath...hey, at least I put Stark of Rath, Barrin, and even Rayne into my decks, and considering what Rayne did, it's a mirracle that I played her...Volrath, I just had - pretty to look at but otherwise weak and useless. Don't even bring up the "Pack Hunt" combo or anything similar. Please. We all know better.
Spiderman:

Actually, isn't that what made a lot of people sick? That the Weatherlight Saga never seemed to end... it covered what, 4 blocks or so?
Yes, but aren't we getting sick of "a brand new world" every 2 blocks? I am. I know I don't play, but this constant change of worlds is not helping. I want some stable characters, some familiar faces. Not a billion Legends in one set. Just my opinion.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well on one extreme you could have the never-ending story (like Superman). But the other extreme is to completely abandon continuity, which I (and others apparently) think is happening too much now.

However, I don't think the problem is the "new worlds" thing at all. That can be part of a cohesive story. I think the problem is that the story has gotten to the point where it, quite frankly, sucks.

It's not bringing the story to a new plane (that was done in the Masquerade block) that is an issue with me. It is that there is no longer really a story. Rather than having plot and characters with a little depth, we no longer have a story, but more of a poorly thought out series of happenings.

This is not meant to be offensive to the authors of the new books, as I have not read them. The books stopped being as good as the old ones (like Ashes of the Fallen Sun or Arena) and I have better stuff to read...

But if it is offensive to them then I don't really care, because they don't where I sleep. :p

R

Reverend Love

Maybe all these jaunts into various worlds will be tied together *snicker*. This reminds me of Magic's earlier days where there was just one story after another without any serious cohesion.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by DÛke
Um, not to mention the horrible card they gave him.
I refuse to acknowledge that "Volrath the Fallen" dude. Well, I did use to have it (I bought it at some store that somehow got Nemesis before the prerelease and sold the singles, and the picture looked cool but I was happy to trade him for a profit). But Volrath's Shapeshifter is the real Volrath card. That guy's actually good. Full English Breakfast rules! :p

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I actually liked the early days of Magic when the story was linked only in the broadest of terms (except for Arabian Nights, which is really what the Kamigawa block is like). You had a back history but each block was set in a different time period.

I think the story-writers were trying to write niches for the Legends expansion after the fact, as those were initially after the creators' D&D characters and other sundries. But Ice Age, Fallen Empires, and Mirage were all on the Dominaria and were affected by Antiquities.

D

DÛke

Oversoul:

But Volrath's Shapeshifter is the real Volrath card.
Nah. I love Volrath's Shapeshifter, and I agree that he is remarkably greater than mere Volrath the Fallen, but greater than Volrath the actual character thatwe knew and loved more than Gerard's little struggle? Nah. As far as I know, the real Volrath card has yet to be made somewhow, perhaps by linking all the stupid stories they've been finding so far into one big loop that somehow goes back to the Weatherlight saga.

I don't know. But I am sure I'm not the only one who feels that the Weatherlight saga is Magic the Gathering in so many ways, and that Magic the Gathering is the Weatherlight saga. Everything I see in Magic, somehow, is measured in accordance to the WS; the WS is like a standard, and not for unjustified reasons - it was the first fully flushed out drama in Magic's history; everything before that was a prelude, and everything after is only measured by that standard. When we say the storylines or themes are "bad," we in part do mean they're bad by WS standards.

It just seems like a difficult task making a memorable character when a set has 60-some Legends, or when the storyline is so shallow and urgent that it ends miserably after 2 blocks.

I do hope that they somehow connect all these little events, including the WS, into a far greater drama that spans for about a decade or so. Something that explains the Whys behind everything, sheds some light upon many things, while also bring new faces to the picture, with characters that develop and change through the sets, and also die. I want to feel a tragedy. The game needs to be more artistic, and I'm not talking art-wise.

From the Rath Cycle, all the way to the end of the MM block, I thought the game was at its peak, at least story and theme wise; then Invasion came in, and it was a blessing actually, but then they over did everything. And then a generic, colorless block sets in, called "Mirrodin," justifying its lack of life by being "the artifact block," or in other words, when WotC decided to take a break. I'm sorry, but when I look at the Mirrodin block, I am nauseated.

And what's the current block? Champions of Kamigawa or whatever...? Betrayers of Kamigawa? Saviors of Kamigawa? It sounds like another 1-block story. Perhaps all these little sets and blocks are a prelude to something more fascinating, like how Mirage through the Weatherlight were basicaly the beginnings of the WS...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well said.

I do see the appeal of having it the way it was back in Arabian Nights, Ice Age, etc.

Maybe I like the "Weatherlight Saga" so much because it was what I started with (Tempest being my first expansion and all) when I was introduced to the game. That might be part of it, but I don't really think so.

Now I like the idea of basing cards off real world stuff too (Arabian Nights is the best example of this). I don't think it demonstrates a lack of creativity to have a game like that. And there is more than enough folklore and stuff around the world to go on forever. It would be awesome...

But that's not the way THIS game is. And I think that another, maybe equally cool, way to go about flavor is to have a story with maybe some continuity. What we seem to be calling the "Weatherlight Saga" definitely had that. And by that I mean the story which got not so good after Invasion and then was completely abandoned after Apocalypse. I can't say exactly when it began, because it really only got going with Mirage, although some elements were around with Alpha (Mishra, Serra, etc.)

D

DÛke

I love basing Magic cards off of real world cultures and knowledge bases; such is the case of Arabian Nights and the Kamigawa block. But Mercadia was a fully flushed culture of its own, slightly inspired by Victorian France, but not overly tainted by it - was not Mercadia a more unique experience than Arabian Nights and Kamigawa? To me, it was.

I do love real life cultures injected into Magic, but injected in such degrees so as to taint the entire block is tasteless and actually could imply a lack of creativity; maybe just slightly touch it and add a familiar nature to it, something to make a known culture into something altogether fantastical - this would be more ideal for a game that is meant to be "fantastical." There is nothing whatsoever fantastical about Kamigawa. Almost everything in it exists in actual folklore; there is nothing extraordinary about that. It would have been better if they simply touched the set with the Oriental and left everything else to the imagination. But that begs the question: did they have any imagination with Kamigawa?

I rather have a weak theme and almost nonexistent storyline as opposed to something I can read about in real life.

I started when Tempest had just came out and Shadows and Buybacks were still shocking everyone. Like Oversoul, perhaps the reason for my affinity for the WS is in part due to my beginnings, but I doubt that. I think we all can agree that the WS had the best characters, certainly some of the most memorable villians as well, in the entire game insofar.

I want my Volrath card! Speaking of which, how can Volrath themed cards like Volrath's Shapeshifter, Reins of Power, and Mimic Mask (?) be Blue while Volrath is not even in part Blue? Every card creator I've ever seen and obsereved naturally thought Volrath to be Blue/Black. And please, would someone explain to me where they pulled Volrath the Fallen's ability from? It doesn't make sense.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Um, maybe it's because he stepped out, but not down (what a dumb flavor text!) or something...

Seriously, the card doesn't match him at all. It has a cool picture though...

M

MrPapersHead

Me being me, refuses to vote on principle. The weatherlight saga took forever to "complete" and it was a weird augmented version on the Dragonlance stories.