MM Cards (part 2)

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
The other thread is pretty big and takes a while for the table to load, so that's why this is a new thread.

Check this out: http://www.e-league.com/pairings/mm.txt . It's the contents of 5(!) MM packs! Some pretty interesting cards there. Just reading the first few, shows another cool drawing spell, Horn of Plenty.

Anyway, I'll read it and leave comments here then.

-mike
I hear the spoiler for Nemesis is out already

Ferret

Staff member
hehehe...look at this one and try to tell me MM is going to SLOW DOWN the environment:

Bogg Witch, 2B (C)
Spellshaper, 1/1
B,T: Discard a card from your hand: Add BBB to your mana pool.

any card in your hand is now a Dark Ritual...that is just sick...

-ferret

"...well, at least they reprinted Energy Flux..."

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I agree.

Wow.

I guess that's one way to keep people buying/using Yawgmoth's Bargain. That oughta' keep Saga selling for a while.

A few more of the cards are kinda' cool though. As you said, Ferret, Energy Flux being reprinted is a good thing, what with all the Mono-Brown decks running around out there. Deadly Insect will be Charisma proof, though it's still susceptible to Bribery, I'd imagine. There's a white trampler (?!), as well as several playable sac a land/pitch a card effects which don't seem to be too broken, with the exception of the Bogg Witch, of course.

We'll see how it all turns out next month I guess.

TomB
CPA Member

"I do not teach. I simply reveal."
-Daudi, Femeref tutor

N

nekrataal

Well, I kind of like this one:

Wall of Distortion, 2BB (C)
Wall, 1/3
2B, T: Target player discards a card from his or her hand. Play this ability only if you
could play a sorcery.

I think the ability to continuously make your opponent discard will come in handy. Also, its a wheenie proof wall.

-nekrataal
"Why are the commons the only good cards I saw?"

Ferret

Staff member
I think Wall of Distortion is a very well balanced card and the answer to an annoyin problem: Masticore (has anyone noticed how many card seem to revolve around this beastie?). If your opponent is down to one card and you have the Wall out, just tap him, bad guy discards his only card and durring the next upkeep it's bye-bye Masticore!

-ferret

"...coincidence or conspiracy? You be the judge..."

T

theorgg

or you can Muzzle the damn thing.

I'm beginning to hate the 'bater.
I am just glad I was able to pick one up for a few bucks at the PR. too bad it didn't become the new Lim-Dul's paladin.
I could have two by now!

-theorgg
I'm bigger than I think, I think.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
About Bogg Witch:
IMO, it has its ups and downs.
Downs:
1- 3 mana. I always like DR (dark rit) as an early speed boost. Like 1st turn, DR, Duress, Hymn. You just can't do that 1st turn with bogg witch. Although it is possible 2nd turn, or 2nd turn Hymn, Hymn.
2- It's a 1/1 creature. It takes less mana to kill it w/ Masticore than it takes to cast.

Ups:
1- Hmm.. the obvious maybe? Every card in your hand is a DR is sick, especially in Necro.
2- Point 1 deserves 2 spots I guess.

While a good card, I don't really expect to see much of this card in tourney play.. at least until DR rotates out.
Then again, you could have some fun with this in casual play... twiddle?

-mike
Hoarding Masticores..

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Oh yeah, I'm editing the UBB's colors to match the website (orange/black). I know we all hated (hate) the dojo's board colors, so I want confirmation that it's ok before I upload. Although it would only take me about 10 seconds to change back. Lemme know please!

-mike
Editing posts is too hard, so I just reply

Ferret

Staff member
Okay, but if it's hard on the eyes please choose something a little more soothing...

-ferret

"...my eyes still hurt from The Dojo's red on black..."

N

nekrataal

Go for it Ed! I think the halloweenish look will be cool for our board and will give our entire organization a look of unity.

-nekrataal
"I forgot my sig... boy is my face red..."

[Edited by nekrataal (09-23-1999 at 07:59 AM).]

B

Baron Sengir

Rock on, Ed! The Baron digs Halloween.

I remain
The Baron
"I'm talking in third person like that bonehead the Rock. Must remember to stop that ..."

T

theorgg

I think I'm the only one that didn't mind the dojo's color scheme.

mabe I shouldn't have said that...
don't want to feel like a total looser like I did when Jerry spammed the dojo...
oh, well.

-theorgg
I'm bigger than I think, I think.

Ferret

Staff member
It's okay, theorgg. You never needed to seek forgiveness for the transgressions of another person that was just trying to be nice...even if it was in the wrong way.

The Ferret says make the change. Let the cool colours come! Maybe it'll be a good omen that our site will be up soon...maybe, Ferret's just in a light mood because it's a holiday - dunno.

-The Ferret

"...so which deck are you playing?"
"I'm playing Repl-"
"IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT DECK YOU'RE PLAYING!"

B

Baron Sengir

Hmmm ... seem to have started something.

When do you estimate the new colours will be up, Ed?

I remain
The Baron
Goldberg works all anyway ...

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Haha. I like making fun of the Rock.

Baron: about 1 hr. Well, at least sometime tonight. It's 8:30 EST right now, so I can work for a good three hours.

-mike
So what colors are the the board going to be?
Orang..
IT DOESN'T MATTER!!... this is getting out of hand

D

Dune Echo

Unofficial checklist for MM, guys! CHECK IT OUT!!
http://www.thedojo.com/news/news.990923ano.shtml

Has anyone noticed that one of the red cards seems to say they've made Squee into a Legend?! God, I hope there's at least one decent direct damage spell as well.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Looke here: http://www.mtgnews.com/cgi-bin/buzz/viewnews.cgi?newsid938035614,1451, . Lots of MM cards. Now scroll about 4/5 of the way down and what do you find?
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Dark Ritual B
Instant
COMMON
Add BBB to your mana pool.
"Eye of twilight, give us sight.
Take our offer, give us might.
Make our power tears of night."

Illus. Rebecca Guay (129/350)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought they were taking that out after saga? Could this be false? Or were they lying?

Anyway, I didn't really see much that was too great. Maybe some sideboard cards, but that's about it.

-mike
Jeez, another post

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Ok then, I'm gonna give it a go... that is after I design/find some graphics for black backgrounds.

And I don't think that the colors will be annoying like the dojo's. It fits perfectly with the site. And since no one said the site hurt their eyes, I think it should be ok...

When I finish it, I'll post a thread so you guys can share your opinions.

-mike
What doyou need to remember Baron?.. IT DOESN'T MATTER!