Misleading ads in banners

Ferret

Staff member
It's been a while since I did a nice little rant. The only problem I have w/ this one is that I'm afraid that everyone will agree w/ me - what fun is that?

Whenever I check my CPA-mail Inbox, I usually see lots of ads that say something like "Tired of unwanted junk email? Click here." Ususally when you click one of these banners you'll be taken to a site that will ask you lots of questions, tries to sell you something and will usually request your email address leading to (you guessed it) unwanted junk email.

Another one that I saw a friend click on looked like a standard Windows XP popup warning him that he had spyware on his computer. He quickly clicked the link (because we all fear spyware) and before he knew it, his computer had a piece of spyware installed on his system to protect it from spyware! :confused:

And I guess the ones I really hate are the ones that say "punch the rabid kangaroo rat and we'll send you a million dollars" (or something to that effect). I once clicked on one in an effort to get the latest Harry Potter book for free and I had to click through about 30 pages all stating that I would not be obligated to buy anything, but each one wanted some kind of information from me and had lots of boxes I had to click on to keep from being signed up for some kind of junkmail. When I thought I was on the last page it said "Click on one of the great offers below or click 'Next' to get your free book". So, I clicked 'Next' and it kept re-directing me to the EXACT SAME PAGE! I did this about five times until I realized that I would never get my free book. I can't believe that I actually had to wait two weeks for my best friend to finish his copy before I could read it...of course, I probably would have had to wait 4-6 weeks for delivery, but that's not the point!

I guess my major beef is that so much of the internet looks all nice and innocent, but it would appear that most of it is just a bunch of scams...

-Ferret

"If Al Gore were dead (and he actually did invent the internet), he'd be spinning in his grave like a gyroscope!"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Heh, I can't believe you guys are clicking on that stuff. Always go to the source on your own and initiate contact, never click on the ads that come up (sad nowadays, but true). :)

Ferret

Staff member
Well, normally I wouldn't be caught dead going to any of those sites, but the computers they use in our internet centres are usually lousy Gateway laptops (ie paperweights) that have those annoying touchpads in lieu of mice and the way I type my wrists always seem to hit the pads causing the cursor to move there and if they hit too hard it causes them to click and next thing I know I'm off to some annoying site...

-Ferret

"What is really sad is how many people actually click those expecting to get what they advertise..."

Killer Joe

Has "Ren & Stimpy" taught us NOTHING!?!?!?!

I never click any buttons, especially if they're going to erase the universe! :p

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It's annoying that some sites have banner ads that make noise, because I usually leave my speakers on all the time...

N

Nightstalkers

The only popups I have problems with are the ones with sound. "beat shau kahn and win a free PSP!" and all that crap... It's freaking annoying!

"HYA HYA HYA HYA HYA HYA HYA HYA HYA HYA HYA HYA HYA HYA HYA HYA HYA HYA...." *Close window*

I say screw'em. If sites have the odacity to put that sorta junk on their site, I say delete it from your bookmarks, and never come back.

Umm... you guys use Firefox? It's a lot better than IE.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I just downloaded Mozilla Firefox the other day - you can get it here: http://www.mozilla.org/

So far...so good with the Firefox...I love being able to load several websites at once into the same browser window using the Tab feature. I still pick up some spyware from time to time - it might not be coming through the Firefox though, as the kids use the comp too and they aren't using the Firefox browser as yet.

I gotta get them up to speed this weekend...;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Can't use Firefox when I usually get on the Net... during work hours :)

But I do run AdAware and SpyBot to try to get rid of any spyware/adware sneaking through...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I was thinking of trying Firefox. Right now I am pretty content with IE (especially since I used to have to use AOL).

Ferret

Staff member
AoL can be pretty good if you know how to work its little nuances. Mrs. f is a master of it. Since it would take up too much space on puny hard drive I stick w/ IE (using an AIM toolbar to block those annoying popups). It's one way I fight off those annoying ads...

-Ferret

"Click the magic pixel to win Viacom's total earnings for 2004!"

N

Nightstalkers

TomB said:
So far...so good with the Firefox...I love being able to load several websites at once into the same browser window using the Tab feature. I still pick up some spyware from time to time - it might not be coming through the Firefox though, as the kids use the comp too and they aren't using the Firefox browser as yet.
They say that IE 7 or something will have the tabbing feature, but I think that's just because they find that every other browser is getting tabs.

Your spyware might be from Firefox, it's inevitable. I have to say that Firefox goes a long way away from IE's virtual magnet in attracting spyware. You might even get a few popup ads with Firefox, but I've only gotten 2 since switching.

Oh, a little breakdown I've seen with spyware/adware:

4 months w/ IE : 2400
4 months w/ FF: 16

So yeah, I feel a lot better.

D

DarthFerret

As for spyware, Spybot seems to be a good way to go. I have not tried AdWare, but my spybot catches everything so far (I think). It even catches 5 things that are not spyware that I downloaded from an XP Professional Edition site. (Don't ask, I won't tell..he he) As for virus scanners, I am using AVG and so far, since I started using it, it has found 3 bugs, and tagged them all. Maybe I am just lucky so far.....(although truthfully, the CPA, Hotmail, Legend of the Green Dragon, and that game Evan d plays are the only sites I have been to for a while, since I spend so much time at work now, and they will not let me bring my computer to work [something about the privacy agreement and customer information]). :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The two programs complement each other since "the experts" have found that neither catch 100% of the stuff out there. I don't think even running both catch 100%, but they catch about 99% of the stuff (each alone is maybe 90-95%).

D

DarthFerret

Is the adware a free download, and if so, how much space does it take up? (RAM and HD Space, I am a little limited on both right now...)

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
It's Ad-Aware, Oversoul, and it's a free program to remove adware from your computer. You can find it HERE, and it's a 2.48 MB download. I'm not sure of the RAM requirement for the program, though it does run a whole lot slower on my older machine (500mhz Pentium III - 384mb RAM) though I think that's more due to the operating system (Windows 98 2nd ed.) than the system resources.

I use it about once a day to remove junk from my hard drive, along with the Spybot program AND the anti-spyware program Yahoo created for it's DSL customers. I found a couple of trojan viruses that way too, though not lately.

I hate it when that happens, that I get sent these things from otherwise friendly/fun websites...:(

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, I already have AdAware. I thought Darthferret really meant "adware" but I can see now what he really meant.

E

evan d

Spiderman said:
Can't use Firefox when I usually get on the Net... during work hours :)

But I do run AdAware and SpyBot to try to get rid of any spyware/adware sneaking through...
This is what i use, well this and sygate firewall and zonealarm and pc-cillin and possibly one more i cant find. I have four rows of programs on xp.