Mindslicer

I

Istanbul

Mindslicer (2BB)
Creature - Horror
When Mindslicer is put into a graveyard from play, each player discards his or her hand.
It is the thing that goes bump in the night.
4/3

Ah, Mindslicer. Why do I love thee? Let me count the reasons.

1) Your power is equal to your casting cost.
Hard to come by in a creature without a significant drawback.

2) Your 'drawback' isn't.
So, let me get this straight...
Assuming that my opponent pulls together the resources to kill my 4/3 creature...
...he has to discard everything else he has?
And I have to discard my (probably empty by that point) hand?

3) Large, aren't you?
What stands up to a Mindslicer and survives combat? (that currently gets played, that is)
Hippo...Monger...uhm....
Okay, what stands up to a Mindslicer and DOESN'T survive combat?
Anything with toughness<5 that doesn't regenerate. In other words, most creatures.

In summary, Mindslicer is a great way to finish out the high end of the mana curve for a Type II suicide black deck, providing a creature for 4 mana that either swings for 4 a turn, or gets rid of your opponent's hand if he finds a way to kill it.

19x Swamp
2x Cabal Pit
---
4x Maggot Carrier
4x Duskwalker
2x Phyrexian Battleflies
4x Spineless Thug
3x Ravenous Rats
4x Filthy Cur
3x Serpent Warrior
3x Mindslicer
---
4x Unholy Strength
4x Sinister Strength
4x Duress

F

FoundationOfRancor

Mindslicer is a good card, I'm just wondering if Mortivore is a better call in a black suicide deck.

If the deck doesent have any discard, then Mindslicer should go in. If it does, then Mortivore is the better choice.

Z

Zadok001

The main problem I see with the 'Slicer are big ugly creatures with really long noses. They kill the Slicer, but then come back the next turn from the graveyard, depressingly. And they eat a goodly portion of the rest of the presented army as well. I keep thinking there must be good, cheap, black evasion around, but I haven't spotted it yet.

You ARE forgetting Foul Imp, a relevant addition, however.

I

Istanbul

Well, Foul Imp and Phyrexian Battleflies both fly...
What long-nosed things are you talking about?

[EDIT: Oh, you mean Elephant tokens. Well, yeah, but that's one less creature they get to smack you around with...and that assumes Duress doesn't snap it up. Also assumes you don't slap an enhancer on your Mindslicer. 7/4 Mindslicer, incoming...]

M

Mikeymike

Diabolic Intent works very well with the Mindslicer, as you get to hold onto the card after discarding your hand.

But in all honesty I don't know if he's the right creature for an aggro mono-black deck, His P/T is nice but his lack of evasion is just going to slow him down. If you want to take advantage of him in Mono-Black, use other cards that are going to benefit from you discarding your hand, like Frightcrawlers, and maybe Zombify.

On a semi-side note, I think he might be nice in a B/G deck. You've got great threshold cards to choose from, Pernicious Deed to clean the board, mana acceleration to start beating down quickly, and ways to give him trample (namely Sylvan Might). Just a thought.

T

Turtlewax Joe

The thing is one of the only GOOD creatures that can kill the Finkletrator(I can not describe how much I actually HATE this card)
Give the Slicer some credit. Infact the thing has a pretty damn big nose itself:)!

Dusk Imp in the afore-mentioned Suiced Black deck??

T.J.:p

In the slower enviroment this deck can survive with/out Dark Ritual and that makes me happy:cool:!

M

Mikeymike

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Mindslicer. But as the biggest creature in an aggro deck it should probably have evasion (or be given evasion) of some sort. Granted at 4/3 with his ability, your opponent doesn't want to kill it immediately. But they can chump it very easily.

Besides, that's just my gut feeling. Playtesting can very well prove that the deck provides enough offense that a Mindslicer as a finisher could be the nail in the coffin.

I like the Foul Imp too, a 2/2 flyer for 2 with a minimal drawback is very nice.

I

Istanbul

Mindslicer has a 4 power.
Mindslicer doesn't NEED evasion.
Mindslicer is large.

T

Turtlewax Joe

Mindslicer has "inderect Evasion" in that it is black and that MOST (not all) targeted creature blower-uppers are now saying "non-black" and that also your opponent will not want to kill it because of it's draw back.:)

I believe it has enough evasion all on it's own without saying some stupid ability that is sooooo overly broken and retarded...i love this card and this thread has directly influenced me to make a Suicide Black deck....I wish they woyuld Reprint ritual soooooooooo badly so I could call my deck Negatron Black(you may remember this deck as the one that used fast black weenies + dark Ritual to get a fast big creature or loose after the first six turns)

T.J.:p

R

RabidKimba

When I was at GP:Atlanta (day 2), at the JSS, Zvi Moshowitz (I know I spelled that wrong), was playing at the T2 side events across from me. I watched a bunch of his games, and the deck he was playing looked like this:

4 Duress
4 Call of the Herd
1 Wild Mongrel
4 Spiritmonger
4 Pernicious Deed
4 Mindslicer
4 Morgue Theft
3 Llanowar Elves
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Dead
9 Forest
8 Swamp
4 Llanowar Wastes
3 Cabal Pit

This isn't an exact decklist, and I'm not sure if the Llanowar Elves were in his version, I had a memory lapse. Oh - yes, that is supposed to say Morgue Theft.
The 1 Wild Mongrel used to be a Diabolic Intent, but he was saying that Intent sucks, so he put in the best creature he could think of that costs 2 mana and that was black or green. He was doing pretty well in the side events, maybe someone would want to make this deck and see how it does?