MindMaster Antiquities: Spiderman vs. BigBlue

B

BigBlue

I'll call Heads...

I was surprised to win even with going second... :D Out of 4 packs, not one Kird Ape, Flying Men, or Stone Throwing Devils...

Before we get our cards... What is the Library rule? if one of us get's Feldon's Cane... How does the library work?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, with "straight" Mindmaster, there isn't a library so those cards are effectively useless. However, between Limited, Mooseman, and I (since we started before you guys joined in), we modified the rules a bit to allow a library if there's effects that put cards in the library and then we can use effects that manipulate the library.

In other words, you can use Feldon's Cane to create a library, but since there isn't a regular draw, you have no way of accessing those cards unless you play a card or use an effect that lets you draw (like Jayemdae Tome or something).

And I flipped Heads.

B

BigBlue

Without looking at my cards I'll play first... (an easy trick since we haven't gotten them yet).

That method is fine with me. I guess I'd like to say if you get a card in your library you can take a draw on your turn... but I can see it either way.

B

BigBlue

Yeah, I don't know about your cards, but a quarter of mine are useless... (not counting one's with limited purpose). :)

Play Mountain, Play Urza's Chalice, Done.

BigBlue: 20
Hand: 15
In Play:

(U) Urza's Chalice (Whenever a player plays an artifact spell, you may pay 1. If you do, you gain 1 life.)

(T) Mountain x1

Graveyard: Empty
RfG:

RfG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Good luck!

About the draw thing: I think we debated that aspect, but this way, it makes the cards that actually have draw effects more "useful" or "powerful".

Swamp
Tablet of Epityr

Done

In Play:

(U) Urza's Chalice (Whenever a player plays an artifact spell, you may pay 1. If you do, you gain 1 life.)

(T) Mountain x1

RfG:

(T) Swamp

(U) Tablet of Epityr (Whenever an artifact I control is put into the graveyard from play, I may pay 1. If I dom, I gain 1 life)

RfG:

B

BigBlue

Sure, but only if you have a way to put cards in your library... and with a card that does put things in your library - you then have to have a draw card to make it work... If you just have a draw card - it's also useless unless you have the other piece... if we could draw regularly - at least cards that put something in your library wouldn't be totally worthless too... Same w/ Ante cards I guess... Of course things with bizarro upkeeps won't matter either - like the "remove your library from the game during your upkeep dude..."

Untap, Play Forest, Play Argothian Pixies, Done.

In Play:

(T) Mountain x1
(T) Forest x1

(S) Argothian Pixies (2/1; Cannot be blocked by Artifact Creatures; All damage from artifact creatures to ~ is prevented)

RfG:

(T) Swamp

(U) Tablet of Epityr (Whenever an artifact I control is put into the graveyard from play, I may pay 1. If I dom, I gain 1 life)

RfG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that's why generally, putting cards on someone's library is a good piece of removal (see my current Morningtide game with Mooseman). It also makes you think whether you want to play/discard a draw effect card before you know if you need it, rather than playing it right away because you know you get a draw effect.

In essence, it's just one of those quirks about Mindmaster, like reveal hand cards or Black Vise or whatever. :)

Untap, upkeep

Island
Priest of Yawgmoth

Done

In Play:

(T) Mountain x1
(T) Forest x1

(S) Argothian Pixies (2/1; Cannot be blocked by Artifact Creatures; All damage from artifact creatures to ~ is prevented)

RfG:

(T) Swamp
(T) Island

(S) Priest of Yawgmoth (1/2, T, Sac an artifact: Add to my mana pool an amount of black mana equal to the sacced artifact's converted mana cost)

RfG:

B

BigBlue

I guess so... It doesn't affect too many cards...

Untap, Play Island, Play Amulet of Kroog (with an extra), Done.

BigBlue: 21
Hand: 13
In Play:

(U) Amulet of Kroog (2,T: Prevent the next 1 damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn.)

(T) Mountain x1
(T) Forest x1
(T) Island x1

(U) Argothian Pixies (2/1; Cannot be blocked by Artifact Creatures; All damage from artifact creatures to ~ is prevented)

RfG:

(T) Swamp
(T) Island

(S) Priest of Yawgmoth (1/2, T, Sac an artifact: Add to my mana pool an amount of black mana equal to the sacced artifact's converted mana cost)

RfG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep

Sage of Lat-nam
Swamp

Done

Hand: 13
In Play:

(U) Amulet of Kroog (2,T: Prevent the next 1 damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn.)

(T) Mountain x1
(T) Forest x1
(T) Island x1

(U) Argothian Pixies (2/1; Cannot be blocked by Artifact Creatures; All damage from artifact creatures to ~ is prevented)

RfG:

(T,U) Swamp x2
(T) Island

(U) Priest of Yawgmoth (1/2, T, Sac an artifact: Add to my mana pool an amount of black mana equal to the sacced artifact's converted mana cost)
(S) Sage of Lat-nam (1/2, T, Sac an Artifact: Draw a card)

RfG:

B

BigBlue

Untap, Play Island, Play Orcish Mechanics, Done

Hand: 12
In Play:

(T) Mountain x1
(T) Forest x1
(TU) Island x2

(S) Orcish Mechanics (1/1; T, Sac an Artifact: ~ does 2 dmg to target creature or player)

RfG:

(T,U) Swamp x2
(T) Island

(U) Priest of Yawgmoth (1/2, T, Sac an artifact: Add to my mana pool an amount of black mana equal to the sacced artifact's converted mana cost)
(S) Sage of Lat-nam (1/2, T, Sac an Artifact: Draw a card)

RfG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep

Attack with the Sage
Responses/blocks?

In Play:

(T) Mountain x1
(T) Forest x1
(TU) Island x2

(S) Orcish Mechanics (1/1; T, Sac an Artifact: ~ does 2 dmg to target creature or player)

RfG:

(U,U) Swamp x2
(U) Island

(T) Sage of Lat-nam (1/2, T, Sac an Artifact: Draw a card)

RfG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You take 1.

Mt
Grapeshot Catapult

Done

In Play:

(T) Mountain x1
(T) Forest x1
(TU) Island x2

RfG:

(T,T) Swamp x2
(T) Island
(T) Mt

(S) Grapeshot Catapult (2/3, T: ~ deals 1 dmg to target creature with flying)

RfG:

B

BigBlue

Gain a life from your Catapult w/ Chalice.

Untap, Attack w/ Pixies.

In Play:

(U) Mountain x1
(U) Forest x1
(UU) Island x2

(T) Argothian Pixies (2/1; Cannot be blocked by Artifact Creatures; All damage from artifact creatures to ~ is prevented)
(U) Orcish Mechanics (1/1; T, Sac an Artifact: ~ does 2 dmg to target creature or player)

RfG:

(T,T) Swamp x2
(T) Island
(T) Mt

RfG:

B

BigBlue

Play Plains, Play Atog, Play Argothian Pixies, Done.

Hand: 10
In Play:

(T) Plains x1
(T) Mountain x1
(T) Forest x1
(TU) Island x2

(T) Argothian Pixies (2/1; Cannot be blocked by Artifact Creatures; All damage from artifact creatures to ~ is prevented)
(U) Orcish Mechanics (1/1; T, Sac an Artifact: ~ does 2 dmg to target creature or player)
(S) Atog (1/2;Sac an Artifact: ~ get's +2/+2 until eot)

RfG:

(T,T) Swamp x2
(T) Island
(T) Mt

RfG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Man, an Atog and another Pixies...

Untap, upkeep

Swamp
Staff of Zegon

Done

In Play:

(T) Plains x1
(T) Mountain x1
(T) Forest x1
(TU) Island x2

(S) Atog (1/2;Sac an Artifact: ~ get's +2/+2 until eot)

RfG:

(T,T,U) Swamp x3
(T) Island
(T) Mt

(U) Staff of Zegon (3, T: Target creature gets -2/-0 ueot)

RfG:

B

BigBlue

Yeah...

I'll gain a Life w/ the Chalice for your staff.

Untap, Attack w/ both Pixies.

BigBlue: 22
In Play:

(U) Plains x1
(U) Mountain x1
(U) Forest x1
(UU) Island x2

(U) Atog (1/2;Sac an Artifact: ~ get's +2/+2 until eot)

RfG:

(T,T,U) Swamp x3
(T) Island
(T) Mt

(U) Staff of Zegon (3, T: Target creature gets -2/-0 ueot)

(U) Sage of Lat-nam (1/2, T, Sac an Artifact: Draw a card)
(U) Grapeshot Catapult (2/3, T: ~ deals 1 dmg to target creature with flying)

RfG:

B

BigBlue

I'll prevent the next 1 damage to the one blocked by the sage, I'll activate the Mechanics and sacrifice the chalice to do 2 to the Priest.