Mimic Vat and Nim Deathmantle

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Shabbaman, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Shabbaman insert avatar here

My brain hurts. If both me and my opponent has a Mimic Vat in play, and I have a Nim Deathmantle as well, what happens? I know there's some APNAP stuff in here, but in what instances am I screwed by his Mimic Vat or not?

Mimic Vat

Whenever a nontoken creature is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may exile that card. If you do, return each other card exiled with Mimic Vat to its owner's graveyard.
    (3), tap: Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of the exiled card. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step.

Nim Deathmantle

Whenever a nontoken creature is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, you may pay (4). If you do, return that card to the battlefield and attach Nim Deathmantle to it.
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Well, my brain hurts too after Googling this, but it appears that the following can occur:

a) If you are the AP, your Vat and Deathmantle are placed on the stack first and then your opponent's Vat. Since your opponent's Vat will resolve first, he'll get the creature.

b) If you are the NAP, his Vat will be placed on the stack first and then your Vat and Deathmantle and you can control the order they go on the stack. So whatever you put on the stack last will take effect (so you want either the Deathmantle effect or the Vat effect).

So basically, I believe you're screwed when you're the AP.
  3. Shabbaman insert avatar here

That's what I figured. But what if you have multiple opponents? Who decides the order of effects of NAP's? My guess is that you pass priority clockwise, so eventually it'll be the Mimic Vat on the right that'll get the good stuff.
  4. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

In MP, I would say priority is the order of players, which may or may not be clockwise, but whatever the group decides. But yeah, basically the last NAP will get the good stuff.
  5. Shabbaman insert avatar here

So when I'm the AP, is it possible to put one of either effects (say, that of the Mimic Vat) on the stack first, and after the NAP put the Vat effect on the stack put one of the other effects (say, that of the Deathmantle) on the stack in response?
  6. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I don't believe so. All AP effects go on before NAP effects, s while you can choose the order of the Vat and Deathmantle, they both go on before the NAP Vat effect.
  7. Shabbaman insert avatar here

I think I understand: it's a triggered effect, so besides APNAP I can't control when the effect is put on the stack.
  8. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

I think he has it.
  9. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

That was a good refresher for me as well. :)