Mike Flores - Human Wasteland?

N

NorrYtt

The question is: Is Mike Flores a walking human wasteland?

In his article Onslaught Preview: Polluted Delta, Bloodstained Mine and More, Mike Flores

The Onslaught sacrifice lands may not be the best dual lands ever - that title probably still belongs to Alpha's original ten."

PROBABLY??!!

"The mana they produce comes from good old basic lands."

Did you even read the cards? Polluted Delta gets an island or swamp card. That means it gets dual land.

I feel these lands are mostly a gift to 5-Color. They fetch 7 out of 10 duals like their Mirage land predecessors and will stabilize their mana bases even further (the most important thing about playing in 5-Color is avoiding color-screw).

Class starts soon. Feel free to find other glaring flaws I glanced over.

M

Mikeymike

That first statement will probably go down as the understatement of the year - I have no idea why there is even a hint of doubt in that sentence.

Regarding "The mana they produce comes from good old basic lands.", he was referring to their capabilities in constructed and Onslaught block. While he doesn't come out and directly say "This is an overview of these new lands for constructed application" the Block constructed and Type 2 format are continually his comparison point of the article. Wait I take that back, he does:
"The Onslaught sacrifice lands represent a general upgrade to their very playable Mirage predecessors, and should see as much Constructed play as the original pain lands."

These lands are a gift to 5-Color players, and in turn casual players also. I look forward to getting 4x of each, as they will replace my painlands in every Type 1 deck I happen to run painlands and duals in.

And Flores isn't a human wasteland, he's a solid deckbuilder and living archive of Constructed and he definitely knows his stuff. Plus he's a pretty good writer, separating him from many other pros who are too boring to read.

T

theorgg

I'd say that these were better than almost every other pain land... as long as the deck isn't needing just a splash of a color.

If the deck needs a splash, a.k.a. only two or three of a color source, these are caraap! However, in most cases, they'll be as good as a Dual in two or three color decks.

However, I'll wait for Rakso to tell about them and type 1(I have the feeling he'll do the same thing as Zvi did with Fact or Fiction).

I

Istanbul

Makes you wonder whether or not they're trying to phase painlands out...