megatog

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, it's big...

It is bigger than the original Atog...

It has a much better ability...

And it also costs a lot...

I think that about says it. Megatog costs too much. It costs six mana, actually...

Other cards which cost six mana include Yawgmoth's Bargain, Mind over Matter, Time Spiral, Catastrophe, etc.

Still, it can be a game winner if protected and if a lot of artifacts are available. I don't see many decks using it over something like Arcbound Ravager, but it's not completely useless...

R

Rooser

It's hard to get it going in constructed because it costs so much and Raffinity is appearing in every format.

However, in a slower environment, (multiplayer and/or casual), it can be very solid. He can be really good with Lightning Greaves - Equip it, haste him over, then sac the grieves, (and other artifacts), for the +3/+3 after he's already been declared as an attacker.

For you, his biggest weakness is probably going to be that he is a "wad-shooter" - that is, he needs to burn a lot of fuel to make him good. This is fine in 1v1 matches - if you're opponent is dead, who cares that all your artifacts are gone - but in multiplayer you can end up spreading your giant tog attacks too thin. I know it sounds silly, but maybe something like Savage Beating can help you out in multiplayer: you double your tog's power, thus requiring that you sacrifice fewer artifacts in order to pump him up into kill range, and you get to attack twice, thus allowing you to off more than one player at a time.

Anyway, if you wanna roll with this guy, I say go for it.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Didn't they make some sort of Replenish type thing that brings back the artifacts that died in the same turn? That could help in multiplayer, but it seems kind of awkward...

N

Nightstalkers

Might I suggest playing a buncha artifact creatures and using lifeline to bring'em back at the end of turn?

R

Rooser

No, you can't suggest that.:cool:

And oversoul is thinking of Second Sunrise, a 1WW instant that returns to play all things, (Not just artifacts), sent to the graveyard this turn. Could be interesting, but the double white in the cost is meh. They also printed an actual replenish for artifacts in Fifth Dawn, but it costs 9.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Nightstalkers
Might I suggest playing a buncha artifact creatures and using lifeline to bring'em back at the end of turn?
Why wouldn't you suggest it? :p

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Back when Invasion was new. May have been the prerelease or after, I don't recall...

Me: Um, I'll play my guy who's a functional reprint of Drowned...
Opponent: Armadillo Cloak. Win.

Next round...

Me: Um, I'll Probe...

Next round...

Me: Urborg Drake...
Me: You know, I've got a non-sealed deck with 4 Unsummon and 4 Word of Undoing. Want to play against that instead?

You get the picture. I think everyone's deck there was better than mine. I might as well have been playing with Homelands cards. And it seemed like EVERYONE had Armadillo Cloaks and I could NEVER find my Repulses. Actually, this one guy was playing B/R and he wasted me too. I don't remember what with...

Anyway, I've never been a fan of sealed-deck in any form. Draft is okay in my book, but sealed, I guess I never caught onto the whole thing...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you are lucky with what you start out with but it still turns into a measure of deck-building skill. I like Sealed because even though it's luck of the draw, I also know I'm not facing "money" players like you more find in Constructed.

I mean, I like Constructed too - I like 'em all :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I understand that qualm with constructed. I think it's probably a huge factor in the origins of limited play to begin with. I would be perfectly happy if every card in the game were dirt cheap. If I had my say, they would be. Forget collectors and the value of cards on the secondary market. Sure, it's a CCG. But it can never be the game that it should be when access to important cards is so restricted...

I'm not well versed in limited play myself. It may not have the barrier that constructed does where money can buy a better deck than your opponent has. But it has its own barrier in that it's not exactly a cheap way to play. Sealed is my least favorite. To me, it is the one that is the most luck-based of all. Then again, I haven't played it much to give it a chance...