Martyr of Sands

L

Limited

Coldsnap has a cute cycle of commons, known as Martyrs. Each color has a 1/1 for one mana that you can sacrifice to some effect.

Also, there's a new mechanic called Recover. Whenever a creature is put into your graveyard, you may pay the recover cost for each card with recover in your graveyard. If you do, the card is returned to your hand. If you don't, the card is removed from the game.

Now look what happens if you take a certain Martyr and combine it with a certain Recover-card:

Martyr of Sands W
Creature - Human Cleric
1, Reveal X white cards from your hand, Sacrifice Martyr of Sands: You gain three times X life.
1/1

Grim Harvest 1B
Instant
Return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
Recover 2B (When a creature is put into your graveyard from play, you may pay 2B. If you do, return this card from your graveyard to your hand. Otherwise, remove this card from the game.)

That's right. You gain a whole lot of life!

GrimMartyr.dec said:
Creatures (19)
1x Angel of Despair
4x Haazda Shield Mate
4x Kjeldoran Outrider
4x Martyr of Sands
2x Michiko Konda, Truth Seeker
4x Woolly Razorback
Spells (17)
3x Akroma's Vengeance
2x Debtor's Knell
2x General's Kabuto
4x Grim Harvest
3x Moratorium Stone
2x Storm Herd
1x Sun's Bounty
Lands (24)
1x Eiganjo Castle
3x Orzhov Basilica
15x Plains
1x Shizo, Death's Storehouse
4x Swamp
I played it once last night, so here are some additional comments:
Haazda Shield Mate: His upkeep is a total bother, but how cool is to survive being attacked by a Devouring Strossus (9/9 flying trample) and four Gleancrawlers (6/6 trample)?
Michiko Konda, Truth Seeker: Her ability was a bit disappointing, but it stopped some tokens from coming my way...
Woolly Razorback: Ideal for this deck. You want people to attack someone else, and what better way to accomplish that than with this big white pig?
Moratorium Stone: This would be totally awesome, if it weren't for my incapability of making correct choices when this card is involved :(.

Last night I noticed that the artifacts seems unnecessary and don't really fit in the deck (we want white cards!). Because I really do want graveyard removal, I'm thinking of playing two Martyr of Bones and adding some multicolor cards. Suggestions?

J

jorael

Mortify? Additional Angels of Despair?

I like those Storm Herds by the way :)

L

Limited

First of all, I wanted to point to Noah Weil's article on MagictheGathering.com, concerning.. well.. this deck. He discusses Recover and the Martyrs.

I've made a few changes; I axed all the artifacts to try and up the number of white cards.

GrimMartyrV1.1.dec said:
Creatures (20)
2x Angel of Despair
4x Haazda Shield Mate
4x Kjeldoran Outrider
4x Martyr of Sands
2x Michiko Konda, Truth Seeker
4x Woolly Razorback
Spells (16)
3x Akroma's Vengeance
2x Debtor's Knell
4x Grim Harvest
4x Otherwordly Journey
1x Proclamation of Rebirth
1x Storm Herd
1x Sun's Bounty
Lands (24)
1x Eiganjo Castle
1x Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
2x Orzhov Basilica
15x Plains
1x Shizo, Death's Storehouse
4x Swamp
I've added another Angel of Despair, because I figured it's my only finisher and also, in a way, my best removal spell. Next, I've added four Otherwordly Journey's to the deck to be able to save my creatures, reuse my Angel of Despair, save a creature from Akroma's Vengeance or remove an attacker from the game.
Finally, I added one Proclamation of Rebirth. Forecasting it to return a Martyr of Sands to play every turn seems nice, but playing it once to return three will probably make my day :)

I'll probably play this deck thursday, so I'll let you know how it performed.
(Consider this a warning Jorael!)

J

jorael

Check, Rain of Gore maindeck ;)

Limited keeps pestering me that he always want to put that card in certain decks, just because I have made another lifegain engine (not infinite, but annoying enough, apparently).

T

train

Are you still looking at this deck?...

I'm thinking a red/white version ccould work well...

L

Limited

Well, the main combo is Martyr of Sands and Grim Harvest.. but do you think a RW version would look like?

T

train

I'll get that right up for you...

I know Helix would be in there... it controls life and death...

Maybe some hasted goblins, and the martyrs...

Proclamation of Rebirth could work wonders... (Mogg Fanatics, Magus of the Scroll, Spark Elemental..)

If you hit them fast enough - they have to worry about more hits, and you can build a good base for life

L

Limited

But Proclamation of Rebirth (which is already in the deck) is pretty expensive (manawise).. but it would be fun to build a deck around it. I'd probably not use the Martyr of Sands then, but go for a kinda Martyr of Ashes version.. might even put a Shirei in there.

Very curious about your version though

T

train

Proclamation only costs 3 mana...

The forecast would be later in the game... Early on, it is repetitive beats...

I think I might have to actually build this deck now that I look at it properly...

L

Limited

It sounds like fun, but a deck with that many 1cc creatures is bound to have some trouble holding its own in a Multiplayer game..

Perhaps Rogue Elephant should be considered? His extra cost is going to be horrible though.. Perhaps some nice Equipment would be a better solution.

T

train

If you use the right utility, I don't think you will have that much of an issue...

It's all about the utility... (You can also run other cheapies - but with the right recursion, you don't have to worry about much...)

T

train

See - now we are rolling...

Other Possibilities -

Arcbound Worker
Brass Man
Brass Gnat
Myr Moonvessel
Phyrexian Dreadnought
Steel Wall
Straw Golem
Bloodfire Dwarf