Maro: The End of Days

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Killer Joe, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Killer Joe Active Member

I attack with Maro, I have 9 cards in my hand making Maro a 9/9. It's blocked by a 7/7 creature.

During the End Phase I discard down to seven and Maro goes to the graveyard :(

yes, no, maybe, go to hell? :)
  2. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Didn't we discuss this in the truck?
  3. EricBess Active Member

Um...damage is also removed during the end step (the same step when you discard) and state based effects aren't checked until after both of those happen.

So no, Maro lives.
  4. Ransac CPA Trash Man

EricBess is right. When you discard down to 7, damage is removed as well.

Ransac, cpa trash man
  5. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Now if your opponent made you discard down to 7 or below before the end of turn steps, you'll have a Maro headin' to the graveyard.
  6. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I guess he didn't like or trust your answer/discussion :D

Tag Guard
  7. Killer Joe Active Member

The question was more like a 'confirmation' more than an actual question.

314. Cleanup Step

314.1. If the active player’s hand contains more cards than his or her maximum hand size (normally seven), he or she discards enough cards to reduce the hand size to that number (this game action doesn’t use the stack).

314.2. After discarding, the following actions happen simultaneously: all damage is removed from permanents and all "until end of turn" and "this turn" effects end (this game action doesn’t use the stack).

314.3. If the conditions for any state-based effects exist or if any triggered abilities are waiting to be put onto the stack, the active player gets priority and players may play spells and abilities. Once the stack is empty and all players pass, another cleanup step begins. Otherwise, no player receives priority and the step ends.

And besides, what's talked about in the truck STAYS in the truck! :D