Mana floating...

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by MagicMan, Mar 27, 2004.

1. MagicMan New Member

My friend (whom I won't name) plays Magic alot differently than us. He says that he is allowed to tap all of his mana after his upkeep and then keep it tapped for the entire turn until he uses it. Meaning he can attack and do whatever while having it tapped for nothing at that current second. My other friend, who is much more experienced, says that tapped mana empties at the end of each phase. I am leaning towards my experienced friends' decision but for the sake of an arguement between the two, would like some input on this matter asap. Thanks in advance...
  2. chris92 king

yup, your more exerienced friend is ofcourse right. i don't think it needs an explanation, because if you read the rulebook it states it there, crystal clear. but i don't blame your "different" friend, because well, some people have it a lot worse, like my girlfriend for example, i taught her magic a year ago, and not until recently did she know the difference between land and mana. like duh :rolleyes: ahehehe
  3. Notepad Seffy Sefro

The game checks for mana burn at the end of every single phase and step. If there is mana in a pool at the end of a phase or step, a person takes mana burn. There is no way around it, other than a single green enchantment out there, Upwelling.

If your friend enjoys playing with floating mana, tell him to get a few copies of Upwelling. ;)
  4. Rooser Thread Necromancer

Actually, Mr. Roney, you're suffering post-6th-Edition-confusion-syndrome. Mana burn happens at the end of each phase, but NOT at the end of each step. This means that if you put mana in your mana pool during your upkeep, you have it until the end of your draw step. Also, mana put in your pool at the beginning of the attack phase will survive in tact through the declare attackers and declare blockers steps, all the way to the end-of-attack-phase step, (Yes, there is an end-of-attack-phase step).
  5. train The Wildcard!!!...

(It's where you're critters turn around and se how much bloodshed they caused that go 'round...);)