Mana burn

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Dune Echo, May 16, 2001.

1. Dune Echo CPA Founder, Idea Man

Okay, I have been under the impression since I started playing this game that mana burn was dealt at the end of your entire turn, i.e. the Clean up Step.

According to this, I can't tap my Llanowar Elf when it blocks during combat and use that mana to play something during my second main phase. Is this correct?!
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Correct.

Man, even 5th rules said you take mana burn at the end of "phases" back then. You must have been like me when I thought creatures only heal at the end of its controllers turn, not every turn :)
  3. Ransac CPA Trash Man

Hey, that's better than I was. When I started playing, I thought the damage my creatures were dealt ALWAYS stay unless you healed them with Healing Salve or something like that. I lost many a Craw Wurm to Mon's Goblin Raiders and such.

Ransac, cpa trash man
  4. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

"According to this, I can't tap my Llanowar Elf when it blocks during combat and use that mana to play something during my second main phase. Is this correct?!"

Explain to me the exact process by which you blocked with your Llanowar and then proceeded to your main phase? :)
  5. linsivvi New Member

hey, this isn't the same question but it involves mana burn. Can mana burn be prevented or redirected (like with a pariah)
  6. EricBess Active Member

Combat is a phase which has mant steps. At the end of the combat phase, mana pool empties and mana burn happens.

The second main phase is a different phase.

Mana burn causes loss of life, not damage, so it cannot be prevented or redirected.
  7. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Zadok: One scenario I see is blocking with the elf, know it's gonna die, so tap it for mana for use in the second main phase.
  8. Pokemorpher New Member

But unless you use the mana before the combat phase is over, you take the mana burn. But I have heard friends say that they got rid of mana burn, but I don't agree. I have no clue where they got the idea because I've never seen it. Besides, that would be stupid anyway.
  9. terzarima New Member

Well, lich replaces stuff like that
  10. EricBess Active Member

I don't happen to have a Lich on me, but I'm pretty sure that Lich only replaces damage. In fact, you still have a life total with Lich. It is typically 0, but can go down from loss of life. It is a bit harder to go up because Lich replaces life gain as well. Lich also changes to rules so you don't lose due to 0 life.
  11. Sammy Dead-O wasting away again

I think Zadok's point was that if you're blocking, it must be your opponent's turn...
  12. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

Well, I'm glad SOMEONE caught my obscure commentary... Thank you Sam!
  13. EricBess Active Member

New Card:

Odd Turn of Events
    BR3
    Instant
    Play this card only after Llanowar Elf you control has been declared as a blocker.
    Skip all phases until your next second main phase.

Haven't you seen the Apocalypse spoilers? ;)
  14. Rando Freaky Bear

Concerning the 5th Ed. rules of Mana Burn. Yes, it said that you took the burn at the end of a phase, but back then the turn went Untap, Upkeep, Draw, Main, Discard.

During the MainPhase you could Play one land, Play non-instants, and launch one attack. The Attack phase was not it's own phase back then, just a part of the Main Phase, so you could get mana during combat, and then use it afterwards. (During what would now be called your 2nd Main Phase.)

That is one thing I wish had not been changed with the 6th Ed. Rules. They should not have added a phase, in my opinion. In fact, it still screws me up sometimes 'cause I played 4 or 5 years one way, and then they changed it.
  15. jcredberry Gochan Warlord

My opponent and me don't have any creatures in play... I want to play a creature but he's playing blue and I fear a Counter is on his hand... I tap one of his 2 Islands and in response he extracts mana... Can I go to my second main phase to play my creature and he takes mana burn or like our local judge says I don't have a second main phase if I'm not attacking (both main phases are divided by the attack phase... No creatures to attack, no attack phase, just one main phase...

Thanx...
  16. Lotus Mox New Member

You always go through your attack phase regardless whether you're attacking or not, even if you have no creatures out.

So yes, your plan of tapping down an Island and having your opponent burn for 1 works.
  17. Dune Echo CPA Founder, Idea Man

Zadok Ooops! At least everyone caught what I was trying to get at here though.

So, I can't tap all my lands and creatures during my upkeep, leave that mana in the mana pool, and then use Awakening's ability and get more mana during the rest of my turn? I have always been under the impression that mana burn was dealt only during the end of your turn. Was anyone else under this impression?

I would think that having to deal with mana burn at the end of each phase would be just too complicated to keep up with, and I thought that was part of the strategy of the game to get the most out of your mana.
  18. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

I suppose there isn't any way to say that one way makes more sense than another. :) Oh, well. I knew the rule (well, most of it).

For almost two years, though, I managed to accidentally deceive my playgroup into thinking that mana burn couldn't kill you - It just reduced you to 1. See, the first line of a related ruling is "Players do not die from mana burn". The next line is "until the end of the phase." I, of course, neglected to read the second line, informed my playgroup of this, and we played that way for two years until some enterprising individual read the whole darn rule...
  19. ErinPuff Token Female

Zadok, that was mean.. :D

I first learned Magic from my brother, who was seven or so at the time, and had learned from his friend who was also seven or so, and neither of them had extremely good reading skillage, so we all ended up with some interesting interpretations of the rules.. We said that you always draw to seven during your draw phase, and if you played something like an Ancestral Recall (not like we had any of those), then your new maximum hand size was ten (as 3+7=10) and you drew to ten each draw phase. For some odd reason, we were sure that all walls could block creatures with flying. (Hah! My Wall of Stone leaps out of the ground to block your Serra!) For a little while, we even thought that you could attack either your opponent or one of his creatures (I'm attacking you with my Force of Nature, and your Tim with my Gray Ogre!).

But we never thought that thing about the mana burn. ;)
  20. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

"I managed to accidentally deceive my playgroup..."

Keyword "accidentally." I didn't MEAN to decieve them - I read the rule wrong! :)