Mana Abilities

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Necrosavant, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Necrosavant New Member

Do Mana Abilities follow the same rules as other "Tap to:" creature abilities? This came up in a game today on a turn one Llanowar and it was played as the elf could tap. Am I wrong for argueing the point, or was he wrong about being able to tap it the turn it was summoned?
  2. terzarima New Member

That Elf ability is a mana ability, but it still has summoning sickness. So no, you can't tap it the turn it comes into play, its too busy retching :D
  3. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

While Llanowar Elves' ability gets the benefits of being a mana ability (it doesn't use the stack, resolves immediately, and can be used anytime you are asked to pay mana even if you don't have priority) that does not override the game rule that prevents creatures from using abilities with "Tap" in their cost on the turn they come into play.

In other words, you can't do that.
  4. Necrosavant New Member

But I wasn't really going to argue. I'm new to the shop, to the gaming group...so I let it fly. I don't think itset me back in any way...I know later in the game <it was 2 on 2> I got to crack on him when my team mate put Shackles on the elf...I made some rather inappropriate but very funny comments...so it was all good :)
    then when decks were packed up for that game, the shackled elf owner said
    "next time, take out your shackles when you play with me..." I thought it was funny...
  5. Multani Treetrunk Guy

Regarding mana abilities, I've heard that they resolve faster than instants.
    Also, I've heard that LAND abilities resolve faster than normal instants and abilities.
    My question is, if land abilities do resolve faster than instants, what's the point of cards tapping lands in the first place?
  6. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Mana abilities resolve immediately upon being played. You announce a mana ability, and follow the normal steps for announcing abilities right through paying the cost. Once you do this, the ability simply resolves and the mana is added to your mana pool. Other effects of the ability (such as an Adarkar Waste dealing 1 damage to you) also resolve at the same time.

Activated land abilities which produce mana resolve immediately, just like any other mana ability, which makes sense, considering they are by far the most common type of mana ability. Activated land abilites which do not produce mana go on the stack just like any other activated ability.

As far as your question goes, there are a couple of fairly common scenarios where tapping land makes sense. The most common one is tapping land during a player's upkeep step. That player can certainly respond by tapping the land for mana. The catch is that the mana must be used during that upkeep, or the controller will take mana burn. This can prevent a player playing non-instant spells, which can only be played in the main phases, and is easily the best-known use of Rishadan Port.

Another widely-used trick is to tap down a blue player's Islands, being saved back for counters. You can do this on your own turn during your first main phase. If the blue mage allows the land to be tapped, you may be ableto cast your spells without fear of Counterspell. If she taps it for mana in response, announce that you're ready to enter Combat. If she can't use it when she gets priority, she'll take mana burn, and you can play your spell during your Second Main Phase.

That second trick can be used in any situation where mana is being saved back for something (bouncing Darting Merfolk, or an end-of-turn Rebel search, for examples). This can be very frustrating for an oppponent trying to operate on a limited amount of mana.
  7. Multani Treetrunk Guy

So manaburn resolves after each phase right?
    And all this time I thought it doesn't resolve until end of turn.

Thanks Chaos.
  8. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

You thought the same as Dune Echo.