Magic action figures

M

mogg bomber

http://www.action-figure.com/module...Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=419

This is the perfect way to combine 2 of my major hobbies: MtG and action figure collecting :D And this time, they probably won't be canceled(like the previous figures were) because Hasbro themselves are making the figures. I just hope they eventually make that Orgg figure that they had a prototype for, that thing looked great. For now though, that Ehrnam Djinn looks really nice.

Anyone else think it's funny that we're getting a Jon Finkel action figure?

H

Hetemti

Where are the cool creatures like Mogg Fanatics, Viashino Cutthroats, Tahngarth, Morphlings, Scutas? Heck Prodigal Tim would make a neat figurine.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's hard to tell, are these posable? The kinda look it but the first paragraph says "mimic actual cards from sculpture and paint perspectives", leading me to think they're just figurines like Warhammer or something.

I think these are just the test crop, to see how well they do. If they do well, others will probably come.

But do you notice they're all "humanoid" based? Seeing that lineup, I would have thought Shivan Dragon also (they all remind me of "classic" creatures) but it seems that's more a creature than a humanoid lineup.

H

Hetemti

1) The don't look poseable now, but if they are classified under "action figure" instead of "figurine," the first market run probably will be.
2) It's cheaper to make humanoid figures at first, since they can recycle current mechanics and employ proven methods. It'd be costly to try to run exotic shapes on a test run of a product that doesn't need to be exoticly shaped at first.

Agreed, we're seeing the ßeta test toys.

R

rkoelsch

I see they used the new version of Serra. Still looks nice though. Didn't know that Angels wore heels.:D

T

theorgg

Actually, they have made Magic action figures before...

Only three of them ever got out, however, and they're RARE as Meow!

Here's a link to see what they looked like, and what the second set would have been of.

I've found a really good website that had them in great detail, however, it seems that it's been removed(It was Resaurus's website itself.).

http://darkstar-sifi.co.uk/magic_figures.htm

If anyone can find an Orgg figure, I would LOVE to get my hands on it, expecially in the packaging...then again, I couldn't afford more than it's worth...

but I'm not sure what its worth.

M

mogg bomber

Wait, the first three were released? I've never heard anything about them actually being made, and then Resaurus just kind of vanished after last year's Toyfair... I'm pretty sure I read something about those first ones being cancelled. Have any of them showed up on ebay? Ebay is pretty much the ultimate test of whether something was released or not these days.

T

theorgg

No, they don't go up on Ebay... I've looked.

However, I have seen the Taalrum Minotaur for sale at Neutral Ground: Atlanta for $55-- and it dissappeared the second time I went there.

They WERE relesed, but they were extremly rare.

The second set was cancil'd.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I have an ad for them in one of my back issues of the Duelist.

M

mogg bomber

And all this time I thought they were never released at all.... I just hope these new ones don't turn out the same way,even though I'd rather have that Orgg from the first line than any of the newer ones they have announced. I hope they eventually get to some more unique things, I'd like to see them make a Lhurgoyf, a Sliver Queen, a Pheldagrif(actually, maybe not, the world might not be ready to see a flying purple hippo in 3D...), etc.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

A sliver Queen would be great! I think a Dakkon Blackblade figure would be pretty cool too.

T

theorgg

I REALLY want an Orgg as well...

I don't know how much they're worth, but I'm sure I could scrape it up...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
See, that's what I'm saying though... it looks like the first cut at least are all humanoid based... so you might see a Dakkon Blackblade later on, but probably not a Sliver Queen or Orgg or Lhurgurf...

I guess you'd better buy the current ones to encourage WOTC to keep making them and expand on creatures later :)

M

mogg bomber

Well, I'll buy all of these, and hopefully they'll move on to make some other ones. I want more than just what's currently planned...

New pics of these from the U.S. Toyfair are up now(warning: the site will probably be very slow, as the first major Toyfair updates started today):

http://www.action-figure.com/module...Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=508

The Sengir Vampire is certainly.... interesting. I know they wanted to use the newest artwork, but still... The Shadowmage Infiltrator doesn't look enough like Finkel, something's off about it. And where's the Lord of Atlantis? That was the one I was looking forward to seeing the most.

T

terzarima

Oh... I found one of the old painted... huge mother of an action figure... Serra Angel no less. Only 250 $ Canadian in a local gaming store.... I doubt anyone else knows its there, its almost buried under other stuff in a back room.

Just if anyone was interested

:D

T

theorgg

They're definatly big for 'action figures'

You said it was repainted? How'd THAT happen?

T

terzarima

I thought I said painted? Sorry I meant... as opposed to those little pewter figures that YOU need to paint, this one was pre-painted.

M

mogg bomber

Is it the action figure, or the statue? The Serra Angel statue is pretty easy to get(I think), and was expensive.

T

terzarima

Ummm... yes.

I'm unsure actually, I didn't realize there was a statue as well as an action figure.

T

theorgg

There was a Hurloon Minotaur statue, Shivan Dragon statue, and a Serra Angel statue. They were about two-and-a-half feet tall.

Neutral Ground: Atlanta had one as a display before they bit the dust.