Magic 2011 Prerelease

D

DarthFerret

Will have to look at timing. Probably not going, but will wait and see.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Competed in a small, local pre-release and didn't fair too well. My card pool was atrocious. The three strongest removal colors (White, Black and Red) failed to deliver a respectful amount of playables. Black and Red each provided a bomb (Demon at Death's Gate and Ancient Hellkite), but there were only 6 total black creatures in my pool (not nearly enough to rely on the demon) and a lone Lightning Bolt as the only other playable in red. With both of those bombs being triple color intensive, I could not justify either color. White, which I perceived to be the strongest color in the set, literally gave me no playables. This left the weakest color combination (Blue and Green) as my only colors I could respectively play. I did pull a Conundrum Sphinx, a number of small fliers, some mana fixing and ground pounders, but the lack of hard removal made it hard to make any serious board advancement. I ultimately splashed black for a sole doomblade, as I also had a cultivate and two sylvan rangers to help find one of the two swamps in my deck.

Long story short, the tournament did not go so well for me, dropping after going 1-2. I won the match in which I won the die roll and lost the two that I lost the die roll.

My take on Magic 2011 sealed: god awful. I have not had this little amount of fun playing sealed since Legions and my sentiments were shared amongst the rest of the flight. Unless you pulled a bomb with enough removal to support that bombs color, the card pools were not that good. The majority of the room was forced to splash a third color just to get the number of playables in their deck up to finish building. Only the guy who sat to my right and the guy who sat across from me thought the set was any good, though they pulled Day of Judgment and Baneslayer Angel respectively.

I don't anticipate that I will be drafting this set.

Ransac, cpa trash man

T

theorgg

Well, this base set is better than M10, and that was a decent limited environment. I ended up going first with a solid pool. I had two possible decks, a midrange R/G and a quick W/U with no finishing potential, but a lot of little fliers.

I ended up starting with the quick deck, and if they had a deck that could match it, I would side into the G/R and simply mop them up. A lot of people sided out a few cards in their decks to 'fight' against my deck, then got mauled by drawing dead cards the next game (since I swapped into fat and no fliers).