Magdalen!

L

Lotus Mox

Magdalen! (the "Landgame")

this is supposed to be THE new deck, here are the articles in which this deck is "covered":

http://magic.mindripper.com/Index.cfm?ArticleID=1443&SectionID=1&Show=All

http://magic.mindripper.com/Index.cfm?ArticleID=1460&SectionID=1&Show=All

I also heard that the cards don't have to have the exact CC just the same converted mana cost + sharing a color with the original.(don't know whether this is true).

here's my take on this deck(I'm possibly so wrong it isn't funny)

4 Wrath of God
1 Meekstone
1 Uphill Battle
4 City of Brass
4 Rishadan Port
3 Dust Bowl
14 Basic Land
4 Seal of Cleansing
1 Squirrel Wrangler
1 Brutal Suppression
1 Kris Mage
1 Teferi's Puzzle Box
1 Groundskeeper
1 Dawnstrider
1 Terminal Moraine
1 Trade Routes
1 Raise Dead
1 Saproling Cluster
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
1 Avenger en-Dal
4 Diabolic Intent
1 Two-Headed Dragon
4 Eladamri's Call
4 Sterling Grove

And if you read this John'O plz tell me whether this is a joke or not. :D

what do you think is in this deck? Have fun puzzling! :)

(some other cards I considered:
Terrain Generator
Territorial Dispute
Overlaid Terrain
Rhystic Circle
Spiritual Asylum
Silverglade Pathfinder
Inviolability
Jayemdae Tome
Seismic Assault(not in 6E though)
Undertaker
Fires of Yavimaya)

R

RabidKimba

I'm trying to work it down from this:

//NAME: Guess at Magdalen
4 Rishadan Port
3 Dust Bowl
14 basic land
4 City of Brass
// 2WW card
4 Wrath of God
4 Parallax Wave
4 Spiritual Asylum
4 Ivory Mask
// 1W card
4 Seal of Cleansing
4 Renounce
4 Reprisal
4 Pacifism
4 Liberate
4 Last Breath
4 Honor the Fallen
4 Disenchant
4 Avenger en-Dal
// 1B card
4 Diabolic Intent
// 4rr card
1 Callous Giant
1 Territorial Dispute
1 Two-Headed Dragon
// 2r card
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
1 Kyren Sniper
1 Keldon Arsonist
1 Flowstone Wall
// 1g card
1 Tangle
1 Scouting Trek
1 Saproling Cluster
1 Kavu Titan
1 Elfhame Sanctuary
// b card
1 Raise Dead
1 Cremate
1 Dark Ritual
// 1u card
1 Rootwater Thief
1 Trade Routes
1 Teferi's Response
1 Overburden
1 Manipulate Fate
1 Mana Maze
1 Hoodwink
1 Excavation
1 Diplomatic Immunity
// non-basic land
1 Terminal Moraine
1 Rhystic Cave
1 Rath's Edge
1 Meteor Crater
1 Kor Haven
1 High Market
1 Forsaken City
// G card
1 Stampede Driver
1 Harvest Mage
1 Groundskeeper
// 2GG card
1 Squirrel Wrangler
1 Pangosaur
1 Overlaid Terrain
1 Mungha Wurm
1 Maro
1 Lumbering Satyr
1 Jade Leech
1 Erithizon
1 Foster
1 Blastoderm
1 Creeping Mold
// 4cc artifact
1 Well of Life
1 Skyship Weatherlight
1 Snake Basket
1 Teferi's Puzzle Box
1 Rod of Ruin
1 Primal Clay
1 Power Matrix
1 Jayemdae Tome
1 Dingus Egg
// R card
1 Goblin Spy
1 Shock
1 Mogg Sentry
1 Kris Mage
1 Branded Brawlers
// 1cc artifact
1 Soul Net
1 Mana Cylix
1 Glasses of Urza
// rrr card
1 Crag Saurian

I was looking at some evil land-related deck. (Dingus egg, groundskeeper, I dunno.) Also, would you consider Scotland as a "disadvantaged third-world country"? C'mon everyone, help narrow it down!

EDIT: Oooooohhh!!! I get it.. LANDGAME! I suck at anagrams.

Z

Zadok001

You missed, Lotus Mox. 18 creatures, you have... 6? Whoops. Furthermore, Magdalen has some... Other meanings. :) I have about 1/6 of the deck within 99% probability, but I'm still working. I'll post it here before I email it, if I get the whole thing.

Also, Kimba, Skyship costs 5, not 4. So you can drop that. :) Also, you missed a 1cc card that fits the idea of tutoring for silver bullets PERFECTLY. Lotus Mox found it, though.

Hint #1: There HAS to be a Crag Saurian in the deck. :)

R

RabidKimba

Taken from dictionary.com.
Magdalen n : a reformed prostitute
:eek:
Zadok - are you talking about **u*** s********n? (smacks his appr for saying that skyship weatherlight costs 4.)

C

Chaos Turtle

I believe that 8-12 of the creatures are Rebels.

Here's a wild idea.

4 Rishadan Port
4 City of Brass
3 Dust Bowl
14 Plains

4 Defiant Falcon
4 Ramosian Lieutenant
4 Fresh Volunteers
4 Celestial Convergence
4 Diabolic Intent
1 Two-Headed Dragon
1 Seal of Cleansing
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
1 Dawnstrider
1 Cremate
1 Trade Routes
1 Keldon Necropolis
1 Silverglade Pathfinder
1 Groundskeeper
1 Foster
1 Teferi's Puzzle Box
1 Brutal Supression
1 Seal of Fire
1 Meekstone
1 Crag Saurian

I'm not even close... ;)

But the idea is that with 12 rebels (8 of which search) you will definitely have something to sac to Diabolic Intent.

Going from 12 to 8 rebels opens up 4 creature slots. In that case, I'd trade Seal of Fire for Kris Mage, Foster for Lumbering Satyr, Seal of Cleansing for Obsidian Acolyte or Avenger en-Dal, and some others I can't figure out yet.

Squee could also be Uphill Battle, which can combo with Meekstone versus Fires. Squee may not be necessary to fuel the spellshapers, since Groundskeeper and Trade Routes both do this, along with Pathfinder.

I chose Celestial Convergence becasue it's just that crazy. I can see why Wrath might be better. ;) The reason why I think Convergence might make the deck is that a wider variety of nonbasic (colored-mana-producing) lands should have been incuded with all the different colors in the deck.

Using Wrath instead, I'd have to go with a mix of mostly Plains, with some Forests. Perhaps a Mountain or two, or Crag Saurian is going to hurt to play (unless you're counting on Foster to bring it out.

Z

Zadok001

I thought of the Convergence, but he has no way to protect it! It may be an option (the number of lifegain and prevention spells at 1W is STAGGERING), but it's not a strong one. Seems more suitable for a U/W deck.

As for the Rebels... I seriously doubt it. Reasoning? Well, the casting costs go 1W, 2WW, which isn't a chain at all. Furthermore, if you wanted to Rebel your way, you'd play the Sergeant, who could search for all the same cards as the 2cc searchers, but costs one less mana to play and activate! Why would you play a 1W 1/1 flier or 1/2 that searchs for 4 when you can get a 1/1 for W that searches for 3? There's no good reason! If Magdalen is that unfinished, it isn't worth solving the puzzle at all. Also, the idea of getting something to Intent via Rebels is a bit strange to me - You'd have to control 4 land to search AND Intent, even with EoT tricks. SIX, if you wanted it all on your turn. That's absurd.

Hint #2: Take careful note of the casting costs of the 1x cards. That should tell you something about the deck's early game plan, and also tell you something about how the deck intends to use the cards it searches for.

Hint #3: Count the number of 1x cards. Consider that if Diabolic Intent is to be played, early game creatures MUST be available. So, what best to make an early game creature?

And no, I'm afraid I wasn't referring to "**u*** s********n." I was talking about Meekstone, actually. Although the one you mention is just as likely, now that I think about it. Might as well say it, Brutal Suppression is a fairly strong hoser, espeically with Sterling Grove, wouldn't you say?

Hint #4: Take another look at the land. That might tell you something about the deck's game-plan.

Again, I'm not entirely certain on any of this. :) Just guesses, but somewhat educated ones. Take not my words for granted.

G

Gizmo

No, wait - I`ve got to check.

Do any of you actually think that article is for real?

ROFLMAO

hahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaaahhaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahaha!

OMG

hahahaahahhaahhahahaahhahahahaahahahhahaahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhah!

Oh, I`m going to cry...this is just too funny.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Excuse me? It seems that MANY people find this article for real. I myself am very curious about how a deck like this can work in this type 2 environment(The last I remember a type 2 deck that did as well as these people are proclaiming was when the Rath cycle come out and the Recurring Nightmare won the World Championship).

Ransac, cpa trash man

G

Gizmo

Paskins is roffling right now.

Or should be ROFLing?

Dan Paskins is one the funniest guys in magic writing. I love his stuff. But if you think for one second that he`s actually going to hand out the best deck in T2, then you are crazy. His first article does in fact begin by pointing out that the tournament took place on April 1st...

His humour is far too straight-faced for most people to get, I suspect - I`m a little better off because I`m used to how the Hampton Court guys behave and their typical sense of humour. I`m only sort of surprised you didn`t see through it, especially seeing as the joke is on anybody who actually takes it seriously.

But still - I`ve never actually honestly ROFLMAO-ed before, but when I saw you all discussing Magdalen in complete seriousness I nearly died of laughter on the spot.

C

Chaos Turtle

1 - We'll see.

2 - OMG did I actually put Celestial Convergence? ORFL indeed. I meant Celestial Dawn!

3 - Right, the rebels thought doesn't work out at all. Didn't I say as much?

A

arhar

Hmmm... I think when Gizmo says that article is a joke, he actually knows what he's talking about, since he probably knows the author in real life :)

C

Chaos Turtle

Or... John O has enlisted his aid to discourage such brilliant minds as ours from uncovering the secret!

We are close, ladies and gentlemen!
They are frightened of us!

Uhm...

w00t!

;)

C

Chaos Turtle

Land

10 Plains
1 Mountain
1 Swamp
1 Island
1 Forest
1 Rath's Edge
4 Rishadan Port
4 City of Brass
3 Dust Bowl

Enchantments and Artifact
4 Celestial Convergence
1 Trade Routes
1 Teferi's Puzzle Box
1 Brutal Supression
1 Meekstone

Life Gain
4 Renounce
4 Soothing Balm

Spellshapers
4 Tonic Peddler
4 Divining Witch
1 Avenger en-Dal
1 Arc Mage
1 Silverglade Pathfinder
1 Dawnstrider
1 Groundskeeper
1 Kris Mage

Just the Right Creature for the Situation
1 Urborg Skeleton
1 Maro
1 Crag Saurian
1 Two-Headed Dragon

Another insane idea...

But something like this, with lots of lifegain and Convergence, along with a slew of spellshapers and ways to get land into play, into your hand, and back from the graveyard...

And if Divining Witch is the search card, you don't have to worry about not having something to sac to Diabolic Intent.

Just something more to amuse you. :)

M

Mars

It's a wonderful puzzle nevertheless. Also, it's obviously Control White, a type of deck all fear (and for good reason!) and wish would go away, especially FlamingPilers. :)

Here's a decklist Team Hacked team mate Digby Carter of New Zealand came up with, going off my own horrible build, based on the feeling that the 2WW is the wonderful Voice of All:

4 seal of cleansing
4 voice of all
4 defiant falcon
4 fresh volunteers
4 diabolic intent
1 two headed dragon
1 cop red
1 urzas rage
1 dawnstrider
1 cremate
1 trade routes
1 elfhame sanctuary
1 groundskeeper
1 squirrel wrangler
1 jayemdae tome
1 kris mage
1 brutal suppression
1 meekstone
1 crag saurian (such a bad card)
4 port
3 dust bowl
4 city
1 kor haven
9 plains
1 mountain
1 forest
2 swamp
1 island (i did the basic land by the number of the color symbols in the
deck but figured you wanted more black for casting intent early)

F

Firestorm

Guys, If there is a Crag Saurion in there, whoich there should be, then Kris Mage is there as well to tame it. I worked with a deck doing that a long time ago, it wasn't that great...

Squee was in there too, to help Kris do her thing(he is also a nice blocker vs. Fires...)

Volcanic Wind....

Terninal Morain copies Thawing Glaciers, sort of...

Territorial Dispute Combos with Groundskeeper which combos with Squirrel Wrangler which combos with Volcanic Wind(Which 1?) if the thing is an Anagram

2WW has a lot of cards going for it, not going there...

Blessed Reversal?
Renounce...

Uh, complicated, but it most likely involves combos like the one(s) above for blockers and mana disruption and lifegain(4 City of Brass and 4 Ports will do that to you, but I would use Reunion with city).
Silverglade Pathfinder kinda tutors and goes with the landgame theme and Squee and the Dispute.

Snake Basket and Skull Catapult compete heavily, seriously... Basket with renounce, Catapult works like the origional Splintering Wind, except better and kills litter buggers like elves, some Kavu, Blazing Specters, Flametounges, and all sorts of things...

Basically, you want to get out a dispute, put land into play with the Pathfinder and Groundskeeper, turn the land into Squirrels, sacrifice the Squirrels to block(With the Saurion blocking as well with Kris to persuade it back) or throw at the opponent(Catapult-main way of winning other than mass of squirrels...) or gain life with renounce, all the while gaining life with other spells. Sounds like a great deck, something I'd definatly play, if I had the cards(Squee). Like the commercial, I forget what for...

Excellent, Excellent...

EDIT: Catapult is in 6th, so it is most likely Snake Basket to get a bunch of life from Renounce.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I've got it!!!!!!

15 Swamp
13Island
14 Plains
10 Forest
7 Mountain
1 Mana Severance

It's the perfect deck!!!!!!!!

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

Duel

Magdalen: Mary Magdalen was a reformed prostitute. Also was the name of a house in london that took care of people with Syphilis. A religous house, for people who went insane.... kinda a spiritual asylum.....

4x Spiritual Asylum

Control white deck, uses 18 creatures, so warth is clearly out. Crag Saurian is in, as the only RRR spell that fits, which, I confess, baffles me, but oh well.

1x Crag Saurian

The 1U is probably trade routes, as I cannot think of any other 1U card worth running only one of.
1x Trade Routes

and the tutor must be:
4x Diabolic intent

Now, I'm not sure, but there's a possibility that when he says 1W, he means one of any color and one white, so Galina's knight, for instance, would work.

The 2GG could be Derm, but we're contrcuting it on the landgame premise, so Derm isn't great. Card that affect land for this CC: Creeping Mold, Rowen, Skyshroud Claim

R covers Ghitu Fire, so it could be there.

If you're building a spiritual asylum deck based on land, the nonbasic is:
1x Rath's Edge (kill method)

And the G is protection for it:
1x Groundskeeper

I have more ideas, but I'm keeping them until I've developed them further. Muahahaha!