Logos

Z

Zadok001

Well, gee whiz. If you read my signature line very often, you should know which one I perfer....

Nonetheless, I have a suggestion on both. As I remember it, the name Sengir Army was abandoned as our title because it was too militant (and copywrited, but that would be another point entirely). Both of these images, with a heavy red/black content, seem to be rather violent in symbolism.

I don't know about everyone else, but a violent appearance is the last one I want to put out at this point.

I will admit that both look simply awsome, and I have no complaints w/ either one, all in all.... But would this really be an image we want to put foreward?

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic

N

nekrataal

WOW, those are some great logos. Mine are utter crap compared to that. I'd just as soon go with one of yours than waste time with mine. I think the first one is the better one. Again, WOW. I take my hat off to you sir. Good job on some choice logos.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Well, the black background is kinda a requirement. You see, the cool background thingies don't even show up on white. Why? I don't know, but they don't.

As for the red, if presented correctly, I've found that it produce's a nice contrast w/ black, even at the lower maroon levels. But if presented incorrectly (aka r-b dojo colors), it becomes quite an eye sore.

Now, there's a basic color breakdown. Let's dig deeper...
---CPA1.JPG---
On the lefthand side, we a have a CPA text logo, something we could put w/o having to say anything else. Notice the (seemless) text overlapping. Personally, I thought this looked really cool. This 'logo' uses a nice orange w/ red twist texture, followed by a bevel. Top it off w/ a white drop shadow for contrast. To me, I don't feel this part seems militant. It seems kinda soothing after looking at the bright centerpiece.
Ok, now look at the centerpiece. The bright background was used to make people look at it-as I said, a centerpiece. There are a lot of orange and whites, w/ a little bit of red. Trippy... The large black letters are black for contrast-kind of a cut away thing. As your eye scrolls over, looking at the smaller lettering, it changes from black, to red. Again, a contrast thing. I admit, I could have used orange, but I just like red more I guess. Add the white drop shadow for more contrast (cuz some points weren't too readable), and tada! We have this image. Oh, wait.. add the greater good line for Zadok--I mean as a mission statement. :)
Personally, I don't feel this is militant. I think the orange and whites pull away from the red/black darkness.

---CPA2.JPG---
Ok, I admit this one does appear a little darker. I re-read the REPLIES! thread and Ferret said something about a big C and smaller other stuff, so here we are. I took a large C, and extended the bottom, almost pointing to "Players". (As a matter of fact, the extention had an arrow on it. More on that a little later). Take another casual looking font and plop down the other words. I originally had this (w/o the background thingie) w/ white words on a black background. Incredibly bland. What color do I think of...RED! I started looking thru the library of backgrounds and I saw a cool blue one, but it was kinda geometric, so I kept looking and found this one. I tried to use this as a focal point w/ the yellow, but the edges still look a little dark. Not that I noticed this as I was working. Anyway, a gradient, drop shadow, text distortion, and motion blur later, here we are. I guess is this one is a little dark.

Anyway, my vote is for the 1st one. I didn't like the 2nd one anyway.

-mike

NOTE: this is just to help you guys understand my reasoning. Please feel free to give me more suggestions. Oh, and have a nice day. :)

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
I had a feeling there'd be another post before I finished writing that...

nekrataal: hey, if your finished w/ at least one, feel free to post it. I could give ya some pointers if ya want. And thanx for the kind words. I've been doing this kind of stuff for a couple years. It takes a lot of practice.

-mike

I

igfett

I LOVE the styleized CPA logo, with the c turning into the P. great idea. i have no disagreements with the colors, they look stunning. when I opened it my first reaction was literaly "WOW!" I said it out loud to my screen. it is simply amazing

Z

Zadok001

Agreed, no problem.

I didn't mean to imply I didn't like the colors, they're great. Please, use them if you think they are fitting!

And I really like the Greater Good line....

I

igfett

Hey mike, email me. i would like to know how you do these things, if it doesn't take too incredibly long to explain. my web site is incredibly bland, w/o a single image, frame, good colors, or anything that makes a site good and I would like ssome help with it ifyou would be so kind. drop me an email. thanks.
BTW, I think you should take that CPA logo with the c becoming a p, and isolate that little CPA part. it looks like it could be great on it's own, with some kind of background behind it.

Ferret

Staff member
I prefer the first one - I'm not to sure about the "For the Greater Good of M:TG" thing, though - at least not yet. I don't people to think we're taking ourselves too seriously - for now :).

For now, I would rather we come across as a bunch of concerned Magic citizens trying to get people together to effect change - not a vigilante group that thinks we're better than everyone else - no matter how true that might be... :)

-ferret

"...we can always change it later..."

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Well, that "Greater Good" line was kind of a joke. Its on a different layer so I can just take it off, although I do kinda like it.

And I'll try fooling around w/ the stylized CPA logo thing, using different fonts.

-mike

I

igfett

I like #5 also. it looks good. how about adding some color? I like #3 also.

Z

Zadok001

Yeah, definately take the Greater Good thing out. I'm still laughing at it, but it doesn't really fit us yet.

As for the smaller logos, 5 is great, and 9 isn't half bad... I would perfer 5, though.

Ferret

Staff member
I like five and six. Six has that nifty cartoonish look...

-ferret

"...I think so, Brain, but burlap chaffes me..."

N

nekrataal

I like #10 the most, becuase of its casual look. I'm fine with most of the others too, just #10 is my fav.

B

Baron Sengir

I think I like #10. Some of the others, the c looks kinda like a g.

I remain
The Baron

Off to vote...

B

Baron Sengir

btw, I also like the first casual players alliance explosion logo. The greater good thing is a little much, tho. :)

If we get a good logo chosen, we can get it to Doust when we figure out what's going on. He's supposed to call me before too long.

I remain
The Baron

This boggles my mind. Less than a week ago, we were all nameless scrubs. Now ... who knows?

K

K1

Errr. What?
I only vote on one thing but when I submit, it says I've voted for everything.
That kinda sux, oh well.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Did anyone else have the problem that K1 had? I can't check now cuz I already voted and it didn't happen for me.

-mike