Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!

B

bryson430

Lions and Tigers and Bears Oh My!

Was just sorting though some old commons and uncommons the other day and came up with this deck:

4x Mtenda Lion
4x Pouncing Jaguar
2x Grizzly Bears (yes!)
4x Llanowar Elf
4x Ghazban Ogre
1x Uktabi Wildcats
1x Living Lands

4x Stream Of Life
2x Invigorate
4x Hurricane

2x Naturalize
1x Crumble
1x Tranquility

2x Armour Of Thorns
4x Giant Growth

20x Forest

I'd use River Boas instead of Grizzlys if I had 'em. Not sure about The Wildcats. The plan is basically to swarm them with one-drops, then hurricane for the last bit once the defences are up, using Steam of Life to stay ahead on life.

I did also look at good ol' Scryb Sprites, and Willow Fairies as flying blockers.

What do you reckon? Howling mines might be good (If I a: had any b: was willing to insert rares)

Do you think I could get away with less land?

N

Nightstalkers

what are the cards you want in your starting hand?

no i'm not trying to get my name on the forum header, just asking a question. Can't a guy try to help someone out with a complex calculation every once in a while? Jeez!

Ferret

Staff member
If it were me, I'd like to have a first turn Gazban Ogre...

-Ferret

"Medium, Bad, and Green!"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If you're depending on 1 drops, I think you're going to get outraced by decks that slowly build up their mana; Sligh/red decks don't have that problem as they can burn the opposition. Winter Orb would be great but it's a rare...

I would suggest substituting Rancor for the Armor of Thorns and two of the Giant Growths. Trample and having the card return to your hand is probably better preferred :)

B

bryson430

I think I'm going to ditch the Ghazbans, and put in more bears and Scryb Sprites

That means I can lose the life gaining, and instead splash Thermokarst and (dum du dum) my Ice Storms! Land destruction fun...

Agree re: Rancor in theory....but I haven't got any....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If you're going that way, consider Creeping Molds for their versatility...

You could try Wild Dogs for their cycling ability also... Rogue Elephants put you back a land, but maybe a couple of those...

B

bryson430

Rogue Elephants! Now you're talking. Forgot them...

What do you reckon to Chain of Acid?

Kudzu?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Haven't used Chain of Acid so I don't know how it plays out.

Haven't really played with Kudzu either :)

T

train

Chain of acid in stompy = really bah-ro-ken..

You keep your creatures... And you should always end up on the better end!..

Ferret

Staff member
A nice thing w/ Green is that you don't need to keep your deck laced w/ mono-mana critters. Powerful creatures that cost 3-4 man can come out on turn two or three if you have enough mana producers (Elves, Birds, etc.) Elephants and Mammoths are always nice - but they would go away from your lions and tigers and bears (oh my!) theme...

-Ferret

"...follow the Green brick road..."

N

Nightstalkers

You gots ta have at least four of thems blastoderms in that there deck! If ya don't have the land stompers you don't have a consciense and need to be put to death immediately.

The good doctor recomends that yous get that mana curve built out and a card count strategy built around it as well.

T

train

Blastoderms are nice...;)

Dense foilage couldn't hurt in the sideboard against bounce, burn, or removal...

It would affect giant growths and rancors though...:rolleyes:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Unless bryson said otherwise, I was trying to keep with his original statement of using one-drops and then the Hurricane for the win :) That's why I didn't suggest anything higher than a one drop...

T

train

Is berserk rare?... *checks crystalkeep*

Berserk
Color= Green Type= Instant Cost= G A(U)/B(U)/U(U)
Text (ABU+errata): Play only before the combat damage step. ; Target creature gains trample and gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is its power. At end of turn, destroy that creature if it attacked this turn. [Oracle 2001/08/24]

It's uncommon...

Seems like a rare though...;)

I really need to contact crystalkeep's admin, or whomever...

Their rulings on berserk need to be updated... it's not restricted anymore... I'll have to look into that...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but how many people here got in when Beserk was available? Especially bryson? I'm thinking he got in Revised onwards at best... :)

T

train

REvised-era type... so it's possible...

But Berserk is a far fetch... and we all know that some of those uncommons should have been rare...

I only own one...:(