Linking to other websites?

L

Limited

The first article on the frontpage is Oscar Tan's (rakso) article posted on SCG. I was wondering if this is something we do; i gather that Oscar is a CPA'er but if he wrote the article for SCG, should we be linking to it? Is the CPA a website with its own content or are we aiming to be a sort of guide to other websites?

Maybe outside links could have a different layout?

Any thoughts?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Basically the first - he was one of the first CPA'er but writes for SCG. As a courtesy, we've always linked to him when he notifies me that an article is up; I don't go to SCG every day and check to see whether he's written that day or not. We've done the same thing for orgg, Isty, and Notepad (off the top of my head) - other CPA'ers who've written for other sites. Obviously we're not linking to other sites when non-CPA'ers write.

Why the concern? :confused:

L

Limited

When I was looking for websites about casual magic i found a couple off sites that were just linking to other pages and not really having "their own stuff".. and I moved right along. Seeing how it is the top link for quite a while, i wander how many other casual players are going to skip the CPA..
Maybe this is just me..
Moveover, I usually read the sites I want to read and guess the others CPA'ers read SCG too.. seems like they would notice the article anyway.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it was the top link until your article came along. :) But that's part of the problem here - it was the top link for almost two weeks because nothing else was in the pipeline.

D

DarthFerret

My Question is, When you do a search and find the CPA, what is the opening line underneath the title? (This is usually the first sentence on the Home Page, but not always.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If I do a search through Google, I get "Magic articles for casual players, a message board, chat, and online polls." And then there's a subset of that where it goes to the Mission Statement page. But nothing like the first sentence of the Home Page.

D

DarthFerret

Who puts the opening line on the search? Maybe there is a way to make it sound more appealing?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think Ed does. Not sure how to change it from a normal "admin" point of view, but I'll poke around.

D

DarthFerret

okeyday, if nothing else, maybe you should make a posting contest or something for the best opening statement, and take the most appealing one to Ed and see what he thinks.