• Equal amount of Limited & Constructed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mostly Constructed & some Limited

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Always Constructed

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Killer Joe

I would assume most people like to play with constructed decks, except that recently I've met folks who prefer to draft. But there are those of us who like to do both.

What'll it be?

I like to play my constructed decks but drafting is really fun (when I can afford it).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree - I like Constructed with my group since any card is open (since none of us has any real old power cards), but Limited is fun too in the Pre-releases.

T

train

Draft has become the Sat. thing to do here lately...

I enjoy the looks on faces, when I draft a mono-color deck.;)

Killer Joe

I think drafting mono-black (Zombies) or mono-green (Elves) is a good thing to do, but I haven't had the opportunity to do that yet.

N

Nightstalkers

drafting with a big bag'o old cards is always nice too.

E

EricBess

I'm getting pretty sick of constructed, to be honest. No one wants to play a deck of their own construction. Internet decks are very well tuned. "Good" Magic players make comments about rogue decks without even seeing if they are good. The pressure is there to show them that the deck is viable, but if it happens to be a bad matchup, it just proves their point and if it is a good matchup, well, they were just having an off day.

But it's really hard to beat everything with an untuned deck and I don't have time for tuning and I certainly don't want to play an internet deck just so I can win.

I guess I'll never be a competitive player, so I prefer draft where I can actually have a test of my skill instead of my patience.

Lest I get flamed - I'm not saying there isn't skill in constructed. All I'm saying is that building a good constructed deck takes a lot of time and effort and most players skoff at people who try and claim to be good players when all they do is copy decks that someone else has already put a lot of time and effort into.

T

train

Well EricBess - if you want I'll develop and test the decks, and you can run them...

"Just no Blue... K?... K..."

N

Nightstalkers

I feel that spending the time and money to gather those four transcendence for the one good deck of yours is going too far. Thats why I prefer to build decks which have most of the main cards in common.

most of the time constructed turns out to be a matchup of who has the biggest wallet, and draft is just pure skill and luck of the pack.

You would be amazed at what some people can come up with in 15 minutes with a 75 random assortment and a couple of boosters.

but I have no skill for draft, I just go through rules and try to piece together a combo which is off the wall... that reminds me, I gotta get in touch with The Cheese again.

Killer Joe

Maybe I can get Spiderman to change the Poll by replacing the word “Draft” to “Limited”. I play sealed deck so seldom that I forgot to somehow incorporate that into the poll.

I agree that playing ‘limited’ .\\agic does test your true deck building skills but even then there are so many articles out there on what to draft and so on that drafting can sometimes be sorta like net decking.

I am an admitted netdekker for this reason; I do not have the time to tune decks nor the skill/resources. However, when I play in a casual game I always pull out one of my own creations such as:
UB Steel-Go: Counter Magic ie Quash (train’s suggestion), Spite and Undermine, with some removal like Eradicate and Malice, my kill cards are Steel Golem, Faerie Conclave and Mirsha’s Factory. Certainly not a “net.dec”

~or~

RGW Powerstone Wish: Powerstone Minefield for the stall mixed with Life Burst, Moment’s Peace, Krosan Tusker and a lone Mirrari’s Wake. The Burning Wish is for my kill card Fanning The Flames (and some utility like Rout, Decimate, Hull Breach). Again, certainly not an internet deck.

~or~

RWU Miss America: It’s loosely (and I mean looooooosely) based off of the Eric Taylor Trenches decks after sideboarding, no G-Trenches, just Lightning Angels (Miss America), FTK, and some counter magic.

But I do carry vicious internet decks in my bag like:
-UG Madness (Ohio Valley Regionals 1st. place version)
-UB Psychatog (Kai Budde German Nationals version)
-RG Beats (Current US Nat’l Champion version)
-UGW Angel-Wake (I can’t remember the name to credit)
-RW Astral Slide for OnBC (Brainburst Columnist Jarrod Bright’s version)
With none of the cards missing! No, I didn’t buy the cards, nor did I cheat out little kiddies for them either. I worked hard at trading for them with many unbalanced trades to the other guy’s favor. I traded with some of you where I send first at my insistence. My wallet is not big and I worked hard to attain cards that I wanted.

I never play an internet deck in a casual game unless I am asked to do so for reasons of testing. Recently I had a friend of mine ask me to play one of my so called “net.decs” in a multi-player game (he was taunting me), I said, “No.” and he insisted. So I played my OnBC version of RW Astral Slide and cleaned house almost from the get go. I even said after the game that I didn’t feel good about the win (slaughter) because I like to win casual games on my own terms with my own creations.

In tournament play, no one is there to lose, only to win and, at almost any cost.

~Mark

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

hmmm Constructed, I love building decks and there is nothing I take more pride in. When I deck I've created works well, it makes me happy. My decks go through a long process of completion, they're played and played. Whenever I see a flaw, or something that could be improved, I do so. I'm also all about flavor If I don't like the flavor of a deck, its scraped. One of the reasons I dismantled a fires deck. while I had customized it a bit, I didn't like the flavor, and the deck wasn't really mine.

Current decks:
Necro(My all time favorite deck, and unlike the fires example above, this is truly MY Necro deck. there are a couple of common themes in a necro deck: hippies, hymns, necros, disks. But the rest is up for grabs, and I build my necro for flavor as much as playability)
Squirrel(an odd construction but mine none the less)
Enchantress Beats(G/W none of that green blue, i'll play 4 argothian enchantress and call it enchantress deck)
Elves( elves are elves, what else can I say)
U/B control( If you can lock down the board with 2 memory crystals a phyrexian plaguelord and a lab rats in your hand, you're good to go)
Mono white(Built originally to be a deck that embodied everything about white, it quickly became the deck that annoyed opponents into submission)

As much as I like constructed, it can only be as fun as the decks you're playing with, and while I strive to make my decks as fun as possible, the person across from me could very well be very bland and uninteresting. Limited, I've only played in a couple of booster drafts...but I played in a ton of Sealed tournaments, and I find them the most fun. Here open these cards and build a deck out of whatever is there. What could be more fun for a person who likes building decks?