Life sucks and I want to die

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

arhar

(is there something missing here?)

Could someone please kill me to put me out of this misery called LIFE?

D

Dune Echo

Okay. <I slash you with my dragon-tooth sword.>

I don't know if you're being sarcastic because of the TAG YOU'RE DEAD game or what, dude, but what's going on?

A

arhar

Thanks Dune

*dies*

If it's only 1 PM and the day has already turned to shit, and the whole weekend been worse than hell, and I face ejection from campus, I need to pay debts and I'm totally broke, and I just learned my grade for the CS test.... well, I don't want to make it sounds like I'm whining but I'm trying not to transfer this decision to die into real life.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Im sorry ahar, if it makes you feel any better I can blind you with my hawian fashion sense.(too bad im dead)

C

Chaos Turtle

Guess what, arhar?

My van threw a rod last week and I have no vehicle! no money to fix it either!
I'm going to fail Psychology even though I have an 89 average! Why? Attendance policy!
I slept a total of 13 hours in the last 7 days!
Um. My job sucks! I too am broke and in debt!
Rent is late!
I do not have a significant other, and haven't had one for two years!
My arm is tired!
Whoo-hoo!

[me]settles his crazy ass down..[/me]

Ejection from campus? Good lord. What happened? You can tell the Turtle anything. Email me if you want.
( chaosturtle@hotmail.com )

"I never did mind the small things." (Point of No Return)

F

FoundationOfRancor

Hey man, same here, if you want somebody to talk to.
caseyseiter@caseysmail.com

M

Mr_Pestilence

Been there, done that. No job, no money, deadbeat parents won't help, no money for school, etc., etc.

It happens to (almost) everybody. A few words of advice:

Ramen Noodles are about 8 packs for a buck, so you can live on that for a while (they're actually not bad!)
No car? Steal a bike! I'm serious about this. Get one from a few miles away and hide it for about a week. If you happen to have about $100 bucks, you can get a serviceable 12-speed and a chain to keep bastards from stealing it.

The good news is, it WILL get better.

F

FoundationOfRancor

DAMMIT SPIFF! Can you stay on subject ever!!?? lol...

A

arhar

Thanks, really. You're helping, and I don't feel that bad anymore :)

Anyway, being broke is not a problem, I can always fix that, at least I don't have to pay for the food (all students on our campus are "fortunate" enough to have to prepay meal card for the rest of the semester).

It's more philosphical issues that bother me. I don't know how many people here really care about their academic performance, but strangely enough, that's what bugs me the most. Let me explain. Throughout all 12 years of high school, I never studied. Ever. The program was easy enough for me to get my B or A if I was interested in a subject, and I got into a decent college without doing anything in school. Here comes the bad part. For the last year, in college, I've been studying like hell, the thing that I've never done before. I abandoned most of my social life and just sat there with books. The result? I'm barely getting C's in all my classes and trying not to fail too badly. I don't know, maybe that's a individual psychology thing, but when I'm trying to succeed in something, devoting all of my energies to that, and still not getting ANY results, it just drives me NUTS.

Plus the fact that yesterday I got caught smoking weed on campus in my friend's room, in the building I'm supposed to move next semester. Now my moving into that building is under a huge question mark, and I may have to rent a house somewhere, for which I have no money, no car, no will. Add another ten or fifteen facts to that and you'll see why I've been in a really shitty mood lately.

Thanks to everyone that's been reading, it feels a lot better to get that off my chest.

A

Almindhra

TAG GUARD

Oh yeah!!!!!....My weapon is: a Bar of Soap...Because I know how most Magic players are out there...

So arhar...You are officially scubbed and dead

A

arhar

I guess some people want me dead so bad they don't even notice I've been dead for quite some time ;)

A

Almindhra

Oh well...How bout everyone just gets clean?...Sorry, don't spank me because I didn't get the rules right

S

Spaceman Spiff

If i wasnt dead in the tag game i'de squash you with my gigantic rock, right now, but i'll tell you now that your tag guard is off... ;)

C

Chaos Turtle

Sure was nice of you to BLOCK for Almindhra.

She was exposed for quite some time and nobody took her out.
You "guys" goin' soft, eh?

M

Mr_Pestilence

I had similar experience when I started college. I never really had to study in high school, even though I took all the "tough" courses and got decent grades. But in college, studying takes a hell of a lot of time if you want to do well, especially once you advance beyond the Freshman "survey" courses. I had to work my way through college, which made things even tougher, and my grades suffered. I think I had a 2.5 gpa after my Freshman year, but I graduated with a 3.3 - not honors level, but not too shabby either.

The thing that helped me most was refining my study technique. Studying is a skill in itself, and the better you get at it, the better your grades will be. Try taking a tape recorder to class, recording the lecture while taking notes, and then using the tape recorder and your notes to make a "transcript" of the class while it is still on your mind.

All the other stuff you should already know - read assigned material well before class, highlight the important stuff, ask questions about stuff that is unclear, and maybe reread the required material after the lecture, since it will probably mean more to you then. Oh yeah, LAY OFF THE WEED!

I'm serious about this - you can get into a lot more trouble than getting kicked out your dorm or school. You don't want to go to prison - they like sweet, young boys.

None of this stuff is easy, but things worth doing are seldom easy. Challenge yourself and expect more from yourself. And let us know when things turn around.

[Edited by Mr_Pestilence on May 2nd, 2000 at 08:03 AM]

M

Mundungu

Hey Arhar,

My studying years are now quite a while ago and I guess th eapproach depends a lot on what you are studying.
I actually kind of failed my first 3 years, then when to an engineering school where I ended up being major of my promotion and
continued with a successful Master of science.

Mr. Pestilence is right, most of it is not on how much you work, but more on HOW you learn.
Actually what you learn in college will help very little in everyday life. The most important thing Higher education brings you is how to
approach and solve problems (well at least in engineering, might be different in Law school or medicine)

You can work your ass off for many hours without success, or in less hours with the rigtht approach.

The most important is UNDERSTANDING the stuff you have to learn. If you understood, then it will be much easierto remember and apply.
If you understand what the teacher is doing DURING the class, the hoemwork will only be to put it rightly into place into your brain.
Most importantly, it will be more fun and you will have more motivation. It is then a virtuous circle that will make you better abd better all the time
without having to work more.

The tric is to be able to prepare IN ADVANCE for the next lecture. I know it is hard, especially if you are already trying to catch up but it is worth it.
Go through the material that will be used in the next lectures the night before. Then you will be able to catch right away what the teacher is talking about.
You will know what is important and will be able to concentrate on it. Your note taking will be more efficient. And the homework more quick and easy,
as you will not have to understand first what it is about.

A trick to know if you really know what you think you know (followed that ??). If you can explain to someone else, then you know your stuff.
If you find out that you cant explain to someone else, then it means you didnt catch it completely. Believe me, if you are able to explain ONCE to a
third party, you wont have to learn it more.

What else to say.. if you have something to do, then do it straight away, dont wait 'til the last minute. Work first and have fun after.
Work on the lectures as long as they are fresh in your mind. Dont hesitate in asking better students or the teacher if something is unclear.
Work in group with other. They might help you and you might be able to help them.

For sure, if you went through high school without having to learn, you are intelligent. So it is probably just that you lack the right methods.

MOTIVATION is the most important. And leave the booze for the week ends, as a reward (if you are old enough :) ) and drop the WEED.

That is definitively necessary.

Whatever bad happens to you, there are people with even less luck. Think about them and not about the people who have it better. That helps.

"Listen to an old man'words of cheap Wisdom"
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.