Let's Rate!

Z

Zadok001

Alright, Quill's articles is up, and with his permission, let's rate some cards! :)

I'll start with a rating that no doubt shall soon be overturned:

Greater Good
Single Card: 2 Stars
Deck Base: 9 Stars

:) Let's go!

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
OK Zadok. I'll agree with your single card rating, but on the Deck Base thing I'd only give it a 7. It can be very good (no pun intended) if/when it comes out at the right time, but draw both of them (i.e.) in your opening hand and without a huge run of luck you're dead before you can use either one.

How about another situational card:

Phyrexian Processor
Dedicated deck: 5
Sealed deck or Draft: 9

Whaddya' think?

TomB
CPA Member

[Edited by TomB (02-15-2000 at 02:43 AM).]

Z

Zadok001

I'd actually jump the dedicated deck rating up to 6 for the Processer. It's good against almost everyone, and it produces MONSTER creatures. It's nearly always good, except against Mr. Suicide Black and all his friends. And with stuff like Tinker and Crumbling Sanctuary (Zvi tech, I'm afraid), it can really good as a deck base.

Last thing. What do we do with these categories? What are the categories? Single card? Draft? Deck base? Dedicated deck? Blahblahblah?

D

Dune Echo

Combo (In conjunction with some other cards for a powerful effect.)
Deck Based (With a deck built around it.)
Draft or Sealed (Duh!)
Multiplayer (Sizzle and Soul Syphon come to mind here.)
Single Card (Albino Troll is a good card all by itself, as well as Treetop Village.)

These are just possible categories. Feel free to make up your own.

Greater Good:
Combo-Weatherseed Treefolk/Sneak Attack anyone? 8
Deck Based-See above.
Draft or Sealed-Same level as Eye of Yawgmoth, but more expensive. 4
Multiplayer-Has lots of possiblilty as Zadok has shown us. 6
Single Card-Interesting, a card that makes you think. 4

Phyrexian Processor:
Combo-Zvi. 'nuff said. 9
Deck Based-See above.
Draft or Sealed-Hope and pray your opponent didn't get a Worship. 10
Multiplayer-Could really hurt in a deck with lots of life gain or could really hurt to make 10/10's. 7
Single Card-I like this. I'd like to see more artifacts like this. 8

D

Duel

Right, let's rate.

Greater Good:
Combo- Definately a winner. Alter of dementia/Weatherseed/greater good deck was informally banned from the group I play with. 9
Deck Based- 9
Draft or Sealed- again, not bad but the combos are all in different sets. 4
Multiplayer- 8. Trust me, this card WORKS!
Single Card- Well, It's not bad, but doesn't reach a great deal of potential without a weatherseed. 4

Phyrexian Processor:
Combo- 9. I shouldn't need to say more.
Deck Based-See above.
Draft or Sealed-It came in a set with combos internally!!! 9.
Multiplayer- 9 if and only if you have a combo. Otherwise, shove it down to around a 5.
Single Card-this card needs a combo surrounding it. It isn't versatile enough for my tastes. It is, however, not bad. 4

Also, I'd throw in versatility as a category. Id give the Greater Good a 4 and the Processor a 5.

[Edited by Duel (02-15-2000 at 11:48 AM).]

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Ok, well, I'm finally getting around to doing a rating script. These are the categories I'm planning on including:

Standard
Limited
Extended
Single Card
Deck Based
Multiplayer
Art
Overall

If you care to add anymore, please post and include why!!

I'm also going to see if I can allow people to comment on each rating individually, as opposed to only have a "comment" box after all the ratings. Also planning on allowing people to edit their ratings (hey, they can be swayed by other peopls arguments). Post any other suggestions here.

-mike

T

theorgg

here's yellojacket's card ratings:

In Standard: check
In Limited: check
In Extended: check
As a single stratagy card: check
Art: (we are CASUAL, arn't we?)
The texture of the cardboard it was printed on: (ummm... ever felt of a xxenophile card?...)
How it looks on the enchanted ctraeure :(this was for parallax dementia, but it could be converted into "coolness factor" or "imagination factor"

Z

Zadok001

:( My deck was informally banned. Oh, well. There's always Eye of Yawgmoth. (Which I intend to get 4 of solely because it resembles Greater Good.)

Cool, thanks Ed! That'll be great! I was gonna mention rating artwork myself (Argothian Enchantress is a 10, right?), but you beat me to it.

I do like the idea of having some kind of 'imagination' rating on the card. Unique cards that aren't carbon copies of some other card get high scores, etc... For example, Fresh Volunteers gets a 1, where as Crumbling Sanctuary gets a 10.

Speaking of the Sanctuary....

Standard: 4. Not much going on here, since it can't stop the &*(^(*% BARGAIN.

Limited: 8. Nice card, can be game-breaking. Funny. But it backfires too much. (I speak from experience.)

Extended: ? Not sure at all.

Single Card: 7. Neat, funny. Does cool stuff with the right support cards (all 150 or so of the right support cards).

Deck Based: 9. Nice. Lots of ways to keep from drawing.

Multiplayer: 10. Awe-inspiring. People can't kill anyone as quickly, giving you time to set up. It also earns you some quick allies.

Art: 2. What is that, a Goblin under a boulder?

Overall: 7. Nice, funny card with potential. Something everyone should try sometime.

Imagination: 10. Duh.

"So what, now Prosperity deals DAMAGE???"

B

Baron Sengir

With all the talk of Greater Good and Phyrexian Processor, has anyone noticed what a killer combo these two cards are together? Throw in an Angelic Chorus and whoa, momma!

I remain
The Baron
"pay ten life to make a 10/10 creature and gain ten life. Next turn, attack you for ten, make another creature, gain ten more life and sac the first creature for a buttload of cards. Have a nice day ..."

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Umm...Err...Uhhh...

No, I didn't notice it before, Baron, but you're right!

Damn, that's a good idea! :D

Oh, and on the Sanctuary, I haven't tried it yet so I'm not going to rate it, though I agree, on originality it rates a 10.

You guys have given me some great new ideas on how to play with my Processors. Thanks. :)

TomB
CPA Member

Q

Quill

As I sit here wishing I had a few copies of Greater Good (which I'd never even heard of before I came to CPA) and Phyrexian Processor (which I've been on the receiving end of 10/10 beatdowns from too many times to count). I thank God I at least have apprentice so I can start trying some of these cards out. They both sound so good!

Z

Zadok001

:) SWEEEET! I never thought of that either, but now I have an interesting idea floating around my head again... That's pathetic, I've been playing Greater Good since Legacy and I never saw that??? I suck.

"Oh! You mean you don't play Academy to cast Shatterstorm sooner?"

T

theorgg

I was thinking of the Imagination rating as the mental image of the card on the dueling wizards.
Crumbling sanctuary: all wizards run into their library. everything that hits the library destroys a book or deed...
when the wizard's knowledge is exausted, he or she cannot contenue.

Originallity is what you're thinking of.
in that case, the sancutary gets a 8. remember river pirates from Homelands and battletech?