Latest DCI Extended News: Revised goes, Duals stay

T

Tobold

Have a look at the new banned/restricted list from the DCI for October:
Beginning October 1, 1999, cards from the following sets may not be played in the Extended format:

Revised Edition (third edition)
Fourth Edition
The Dark
Fallen Empires

However, the ten cards listed below, commonly called "dual lands," will continue to be allowed in the Extended format:
(List of dual lands)

WHAT A STUPID IDEA TO LEAVE THE DUAL LANDS IN! I would play Extended immediately if they had banned the dual lands as well. I - as well as many other players - don't have dual lands, so I'm effectively banned from playing Extended. A complete set of 40 dual lands in playable condition costs $500. In fact I would have proposed to leave Revised, 4th, FE and the Dark in and just ban the dual lands.

I think the DCI has managed again to make everyone unhappy with their wishy-washy decision. The old Extended players will moan their losses and the people not playing Extended because of dual lands still won't start doing so.

Ferret

Staff member
My Goddess! They actually listenned to me - This is proof that they do follow the Forums for advice on what to put out, restrict, ban, or errata...

...this is really really scarry...

-ferret

"...now, if they'd just listen to my advice about banning counterspells..."

D

Dune Echo

You want to know something funny about the fact that they are relegating so many cards to the Type 1 and Classic Restricted formats only now? This means for all newbies out there that Fallen Empires is an over-powered set! Extended couldn't handle keeping Fallen Empires and the over-costed Lightning Bolt in! That is the joke of jokes, here. It's entirely R&D's idea, so they can totally eviscerate Sligh. It's a conspiracy I tell you...

I'll bet that WotC is patting itself on the back going, "Gee, think they'll notice that we are catering once again to the pressure of the pro-players by keeping dual lands in?" "Duh, no, they're stupid enough to pay more because we broke down to marketing schemes to make cards shiny!"

-Dune Echo

"The foil holds tiny electrically encoded messages to brainwash you into buying more cards and to worship Garfield... They told me so."