Latest avalanche of Planeshift cards...

C

Cateran Emperor

Horned Kavu
RG
Creature - Kavu
3/4
Common
When Horned Kavu comes into play, return a red or green creature you control to its owner's hand.

Sunscape Battlemage
2W
Creature - Wizard
2/2
Uncommon
Kicker 1G
Kicker 2U
When Sunscape Battlemage comes into play, if you paid the 1G kicker cost, destroy target creature with flying.
When Sunscape Battlemage comes into play, if you paid the 2U kicker cost, draw two cards.

Stormscape Battlemage
2U
Creature - Wizard
2/2
Uncommon
Kicker W
Kicker 2B
When Stormscape Battlemage comes into play, if you paid the W kicker cost, you gain 3 life.
When Stormscape Battlemage comes into play, if you paid the 2B kicker cost, destroy target nonblack creature. That creature can't be regenerated.

Nightscape Battlemage
2B
Creature - Wizard
2/2
Uncommon
Kicker 2U
Kicker 2R
When Nightscape Battlemage comes into play, if you paid the 2U kicker cost, return up to two target nonblack creatures to their owners' hands.
When Nightscape Battlemage comes into play, if you paid the 2R kicker cost, destroy target land.

Thornscape Battlemage
2G
Creature - Wizard
2/2
Uncommon
Kicker R
Kicker W
When Thornscape Battlemage comes into play, if you paid the R kicker cost, Thornscape Battlemage deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
When Thornscape Battlemage comes into play, if you paid the W kicker cost, destroy target artifact.

Mirrorwood Treefolk
3G
Creature - Treefolk
2/4
Uncommon
2RW: The next time damage would be dealt to Mirrorwood Treefolk this turn, that damage is dealt to target creature or player instead.

Sinister Strength
1B
Enchant Creature
Common
Enchanted creature gets +3/+1 and is black.

Dark Suspicions
2BB
Enchantment
Rare
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that player loses one life for each card in his or her hand more than you have in your hand.

Diabolic Intent
1B
Sorcery
Rare
As an additional cost to play Diabolic Intent, sacrifice a creature.
Search your library for a card and put that card into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Strafe
R
Sorcery
Uncommon
Strafe deals 3 damage to target nonred creature.

Sisay's Ingenuity
U
Enchant Creature
Common
When Sisay's Ingenuity comes into play, draw a card.
Enchanted creature has "2U: Enchanted creature becomes the color of your choice until end of turn."

F

fuzzy510

2GRW, 2/2, 2 damage, destroy target artifact...I like it! Especially if you can pay both Kickers!

F

FoundationOfRancor

Alot of these cards are *awesome*!!!

If there true, Planeshift will shake up the enviroment like a blender.
Strafe alone will re-write whats good and whats not. (There not all that many good red creatures with 3 toughness anyway, So the drawback is not that great. Also, I dont think its a big thing that it cant hurt players)

Mageta, Idol, Sivvi.

Whoo!

S

superguy

Wicked! For some reason I thought that kickers would be the same for each color, like each G kicker would destroy target enchatment, etc. These look awesome! The only card that I really don't like is Dark Suspicion. Black is the color of discard for chrissakes. When is WOTC going to understand that? Bring back the Rack! ;) Anyways, all the other cards, except maybe the color changing one look really good. I believe that the Battlemages are going to be very popular in limited formats, but I'm going to use them in decks also. SInister strength seems ok too, and the treefolk are very interesting. Strafe is not going to replace the bolt, but is a good card anyway. The new tutor seems very balanced and a great card to be used to fetch whatever you need. FInally, I think that while Hirned Kavu is balanced it is also very tough and hard to kill.

F

FoundationOfRancor

After some thought, Horned Kavu is some good:
------------------------------------------
Turn one:
Forest, Birds.

Turn two:
Mountain. Tap birds for green. Play the Kavu. Return the birds, then play the birds.
---------------------------------------------

And surprisingly, this isnt all that hard to accoumplish.

Sinister strengh seems pretty good, maybe I will finally see a good merc deck arise? Maybe not.

[Edited by FoundationOfRancor on 01-15-01 at 09:47 PM]

H

Hetemti

Why use birds?
Forest, weenie.
Mountain, Kavu, bounce weenie.
If weenie's was a Llany Elf, recast weenie.

This whole set's gonna be fast...I'd love a new Haste Viashino...R&D, hook me up!

S

Sammy Dead-O

R/B Sligh is looking good, with Terminate, Strafe, and Dark Suspicions coming. Maybe a splash of green for enchantment removal, and burn could gain a place among the Tier 1's again.

[Edited by Sammy Dead-O on 01-16-01 at 07:12 PM]

I

Istanbul

Horned Kavu - Fires gets a new buddy.
Battlemagi - Some good. Thornscape is the best.
Mirrorwood Treefolk - Pricey. Probably TOO pricey.
Sinister Strength - YOW! Better than Unholy Strength!
Dark Suspicions - Eh...mediocre. Nice against blue, but that's about it.
Diabolic Intent - Demonic Tutor in the HAY-OUSE! Watch for these in Nether-Go and Machinehead. Also, watch for them to get banned at the speed of light.
Strafe - Nice. Quite nice. If only it weren't a Sorcery, it could touch Idols...
Sisay's Ingenuity - Dull. If I wanted a creature that changed colors, I'd use Rainbow Crows.

M

MrXarvox

I'm thinking of Mirrorwood treefolk as a blocker, mostly. Give it spidersilk armor.

I like that Diabolic Intent! but, does black REALLY need another tutor? Vampies are bad enough. I guess they could be leaving them out of 7th.

And those battlemages, They're so eeevil!

I am liking this set.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Istanbul, are you kidding? Dark Suspicions is going to be a KEY sideboard card in R/B speed decks. Against Nether-Go, definitely. Against B/U fish, definitely. Against Under-Drake, yes. Now, notice all of these are B/U. BUT, there is a deck that has been monopolizing the tourney seen at my shop. R/W/B Rage. It COMPLETELY relies on drawing cards. I'm gonna get 3 or 4 of these as fast as possible.

Ransac, cpa trash man

S

superguy

Hey, Diabolic Intent isn't all that bad in NetherGo, is it? :) Or with Breeding Pit...

[Edited by superguy on 01-16-01 at 05:31 PM]

D

DÛke

...I love the new Tutor...I am sorry that I disagree with Istanbul, but that tutor most likely will not get banned if for anything, then it's because it requires you to >>have<< a creature in play before you play it. Vampiric Tutor is good because it could get you >>anything<< mostly anytime, Demonic Tutor, need I explain? This one is good without a doubt, BUT, not to the point of banning.

The double kicker cards seem very interesting. I like Blue and Black one the most. Either one, with a paid Kicker, could shift the game from a bog, into the light. I like them...

I

Istanbul

Just a thought here...
Picture this alongside Nether Spirit.
Picture this alongside Pyre Zombie.
Picture this alongside any 1-CC drop and a Dark Ritual.

WAY powerful.

B

Baskil

Powerful? Yes, but not broken.

Obviously it is a good fit in the Nether-Go deck, and may actually bring it back from the gutter it was at before. As for other decks... Well, I can't really see it played in *addition* to Vampiric in MachineHead. Ultimately, this will not see much play in the top netdecks.

And for your Ritual, one drop, tutor...
Would you play with a card that said:
Terrible Tutor
B - Sorcery
Discard two cards: Search your library for a card, and put that card into your hand. Shuffle your library afterwards.

Baskil quickly runs away, knowing he's probably wrong. Again.

F

fuzzy510

I actually might play Terrible Tutor, if I was playing a reanimation deck. Dark Ritual, Terrible Tutor, discard two Avatars of Woe, search for Animate Dead, bring back one of my discarded creatures. I could have an Avatar of Woe on Turn 1. That hurts. A lot. If it was a real card, Terrible Tutor might actually be one of the cards to become banned.

Melkor

I might play Terrible Tutor but its not an accurate description of whats happenning because you can discard any two cards, you have to discard specific cards with Diabolic Intent (DR and a creature). Still its not overly broken, at least in type 2, because it requires a significant number of creatures in the deck to be effective and decks with significant amounts of creatures aren't usually broken. I shudder to think about it in an environment with Academy Rector though. A very good card, but I don't think it will get banned in type 2, I reserve judgement on other types though.

Z

Zadok001

The Tutor is well balanced for Type 2 play, I believe. Extended and Type 1 may make it somewhat troublesome (as a rule, Tutors are restricted in Type 1), so I can see some revisions happening in those formats. But in Type 2, it's merely good to excellent, situation depending.

H

Hetemti

Demonic Tutor
Cost:
1 Card
2 Mana

Diabolic Intent
Cost
2 Cards
2 Mana for D.I. + 1 to 16 :)p) mana for the critter.

Big difference. Not John Holmes big, but big.