Laquatus's Call

G

Griffith_se

Someone probably already thought of this, but...

4 Laquatus's Champion

4 Buried Alive
4 Entomb
4 Twilight's Call
Counters, and/or card drawing to help get threshold?
To take advantage of:

4 Cabal Ritual.

Have some ideas, or if you've seen something similar, please post here.

G

Griffith_se

OK, off the top of my head (this is gonna be bad I know)

4 Laquatus's Champion

4 Buried Alive
4 Entomb
4 Twilight's Call

2 Undermine
4 Counterspell
4 Rite of Refusal

4 Compulsion

4 Cabal Ritual

8 Swamp
8 Island
4 Tainted Isle
4 Underground River

R

rkoelsch

I think this deck has to go heavier into black. It needs to have turn 1 swamp

What about this

4- Champions
4-Entomb
4-Buried Alive
4-Twilights Call
4-Cabal Ritual

4-Duress
4-Memory Lapse
4-Cirdular Logic
4-Diabolic Tutor

4-Underground River
4-Tainted Island
2-Island
14-Swamp

You have to take into account I know nothing about playing black.

C

Captain Caveman

Check out Andrew Chapman's, The Rogue Camp over at the pojo.
He posted a Champion deck. That guy seems to be a really good
rogue deck builder.

Z

Zadok001

Black is definately the Way To Go(tm). The big thing to beat with this style of deck is countermagic, meaning discard and control elements are very important. Your Entombs and BAs will put the stuff you need in your graveyard without too much trouble, but I'd want to focus more on the combo and protecting it than on control. Playing counter-for-counter in combo decks is pretty bad unless you can do dumb things like Thwart and FoW, so I think it might be better to invest in discard effects to prevent your opponent's counters from ever going through. 4x Duress is obviously the first choice.

Oddly, I'm voting Mesmeric Fiend for #2, thanks to his ability to play ultra-Duress on turn 2. His only real weakness is that he doesn't help you acquire Threshold - If you're worried about getting the Rituals to work at ALL, it might be better to run Addle, which serves largely the same purpose.

On the side of "Here's a wierd suggestion," have you considered running one or two Soul Scourges (Nightmare for 3 life)? They're an odd choice, but you don't get the ability to insta-kill via the Call unless you have all four Champs in your graveyard, meaning drawing even one puts you in some trouble. Three Champs and a Scourge, though, is a kill in and of itself, leaving you a few more options for the instant kill attack.

Another option along the same lines of making sure you don't lose if you draw a Champ is to run Insidious Dreams over the Tutor. I don't think it's NEARLY as good, but it is an option.

Finally, it might be better to run Sleight of Hand, Opt, or similar quick search cards over any remaining counter effects. They'll get you to Threshold unfairly fast, and they're cheap search engines. Worth a shot?

I

Istanbul

I like Zombify in your sideboard as a fallback method if some wiseguy Lobotomizes your Twilight's Call.

G

Griffith_se

Originally posted by Captain Caveman
Check out Andrew Chapman's, The Rogue Camp over at the pojo.
He posted a Champion deck. That guy seems to be a really good
rogue deck builder.
I can't find it could ya post it please. :)

Originally posted by Zadok001
you don't get the ability to insta-kill via the Call unless you have all four Champs in your graveyard, meaning drawing even one puts you in some trouble.
I thought Compulsion might be enough to handle that problem, maybe not though.

Thanks all, seems consensus 'is' discard over counter.

U

Urza(Yes I Like Men)

You said something about card drawing to help get threshold and careful study or tolarian winds seem to work pretty well. I wouldn't play both though. Fact or Fiction? That's always a good way to dump cards into the graveyard. As for creatures I'm thinking Dromar would be kinda fun to toss and then get with twighlights call. Another card I've heard that works is that black oddysey card (sorry i don't know the name) where you discard cards and then look at their hand and choose the amount of cards you discarded... it could help get some of those uncastable creatures out of your hand and into your graveyard. Just an idea! I love twighlight's call decks, the expression on you opponents face as you get all the big creatures in play is priceless!

C

Captain Caveman

Sorry Griff, I forgot........

Rogue Champion, by Andrew Chapman

The combo:
4x Laquatus's Champion
3x Twighlight's Call

The board control:
3x Mutilate
4x Pernicious Deed
2x Innocent Blood

The engine:
3x Entomb
3x Buried Alive
4x Cabal Ritual

The discard:
4x Duress
2x Addle

Finally, the support:
1x Yawgmoth's Agenda (should go in almost any black deck)
4x Diabolic Tutor (or Tainted Pact, but I think the Tutor should be better for this deck)

The land:
4x Tainted Wood
3x Llanowar Wastes
16x Swamp