Land Placement

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Since YJ has his Twister thread...

Do you stack alike lands in rows or columns or do you lay them all out separately?

I tend to lay them all out separately, kind of providing a "barrier" from my opponent :) Heck, I might as continue... my library is on the left (and graveyard to the left of that), creatures get placed behind the land (in the center), and global enchantments and artifacts to the right.

Wheee! :D

Killer Joe

I place my lands two by two, ever since I can remember because I play counterspell alot :)
I, too, form a wall, but it's closer to me than my non-land permanants
My Library is always on the left and my Graveyard to the immediate left of my Library

I hate it, though, when my opponent plays his/her lands on my side of the table :mad:

R

rkoelsch

I didn't want to say anything but isn't this just a tad **** retentive j/k;)

E

ErinPuff

If I'm playing monocolor, I usually put all my lands in a big ol' line.. if I'm playing multiple colors, I generally do columns of the different kinds.. I always put my lands closest to me, with my library to the right of my lands and the graveyard next to the library. In front of the lands I put my non-creature permanents, and then in front of that go my creatures.

Z

Zadok001

I stack first by type of land, in vertical rows. Should I exceed three of a single basic land, I move it into a separate column, but I let the rows go to four for non-basics.

It's not a very good sorting system, I don't recommend using it.

G

Gerode

I position my cards on the table rather erratically. Sometimes I have the graveyard on the left side, sometimes the right. If I'm playing a deck that isn't mana-intensive, I'll keep my land seperate. But if I have more than 4 or so of a particular land, I'll stack them.

A

Apollo

My deck is on the left, my graveyard to the left of that. Lands are stacked to the right of the library. Lands of the same type go in columns; after 5 lands, a new column starts. Anything else that produces mana goes to the right of the lands. If I'm playing a creature-intensive deck, then creatures go in front (cause they're running over to the opponent, y'know) and non-creature, non-land permanents go to the right of the mana-producers. If I'm not playing many creatures, then enchantments and the like go in front instead.

I'm very oinkal that way.

C

Chaos Turtle

I generally stack them according to what colors they produce (which by the way got to be rather tricky once Apocalypse came out).

I move them around a lot, though, throughout the game. Like when I have Legacy Weapon in play, I keep a "domain pile" that I tap to use the Weapon. Of course, I often end up looting that pile for land when I'd rather keep a multi-land open.

So basically, there is only a little rhyme and reason to my land arrangement.
:p

P

Purple_jester

So organized, in fact, that I rearrange my lands whenever I untap them. I place them approximately 3-5 degrees off the perpendicular, so that my cross-eyed opponents aren't quite sure what are tapped or not. I tap them in varying directions, at different angles, ranging from 10-80 degrees, but never 90 degrees, because that would be too formal. I place them into random piles, and pull out the lands from the piles just as I'm about to tap them. I also anounce each land as I tap, verbally dictating the amount of mana in my pool on a tap-per-tap basis. After I tap them, I rearrange thepiles into random mixes of tapped, untapped and semi-tapped cards.

This is all for the singular purpose of rendering my opponent insane, naturally.

H

Hetemti

Lands must be toward the middle of the table.

Stacks must be minimized, no fewer than 5 lands must be out before stacking them. (Exception made for limited tablespace)

Keep land groups organized.

Tap a minimum of 75°.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Zadok001
I stack first by type of land, in vertical rows. Should I exceed three of a single basic land, I move it into a separate column, but I let the rows go to four for non-basics.

It's not a very good sorting system, I don't recommend using it.
But I guess you're used to it so you're not changing? :p

I

Istanbul

If I'm playing a mono-color deck (which means that I'm playing Extended or T1), I have my land in stacks of no greater than 5. That's how I would play Bast@rd Blue, before I took it apart. It was the only deck where I really had to worry about it...I had other mono-color decks, but they tended not to draw enough mana to worry about it. Five or six mana isn't enough to warrant more than one stack if it's all I have.
If I'm playing dual-color...let's say blue-white...I keep Islands in one pile (two if it gets enormous), Plains in another, and nonbasic lands in another. Vertical stacks. No limit per stack, because it usually won't come up.
Creatures towards the middle of the board, lands near me, library on the top-right, graveyard wherever I can find room, non-creature non-land permanents usually on my left.

E

Elrond

I keep my lands in piles by type, with no more than three basic or four of the same non-basic in the same pile. Creatures are directly in front of my land with non-creature, non-land permanents are to the left of the creatures at various points depending on usage. My library is directly to the left of my land with the graveyard being directly to the left of that.

M

Mikeymike

Kind of scary but I play my lands exactly as Zadok does. One thing I will do with pain/tap/ody duals is place them between the proper basic lands so the color gradiation looks all purty.

Creatures I put up in front of my lands. Makes more sense to me, that's the front line battlezone.

Artifacts and Enchantments I put beneath/ behind my lands. Unless its a global effect (like Lifeline or Fecundity) where I'll move them up front with the creatures for group games.

Graveyard is always on the outside of the library, whether its on the left or the right depends on what type of game we are playing and where I'm sitting. We've had a few people in the group who play their graveyards on the inside and it drives me nuts, at least once a game I confuse something in the graveyard for being in play.

M

MrXarvox

I do the color gradation thing too!

My usual layout:
When I play my cauldron dance deck, I have

__Creatures____________Enchantments___Artifacts__

|swamps column||urborg volcanoes column||mountains column

_____________________[Library]___{Graveyard}_______

_{remove from game pile}_______

With most other decks it's very similar to that, but
with my Seismic Assault deck it's different:

______{forests}____Lands____{mountains}________