Kodama of South Tree

M

Mikeymike

Kodama of the South Tree

I'm very surprised that so far on eBay this guy is priced like a lesser rare, I feel it is a great creature.

It is a 4/4 body for 2GG with the only inherent drawback being that it is Legendary. Also, in order for him to work properly he needs to fall into a deck playing Spirits and/or Arcane spells.

The last 4/4 for 2GG we saw was Ravenous Baloth, which saw tons of play even if it was for different reasons. But Kodama has a great ability too: it provides a mini-overrun to all your other creatures whenever you play a Spirit or Arcane spell. For a naturally aggro creature, that is a terrific aggro ability. The +1/+1 is also cumulative.

It has its drawbacks though:
1) It doesn't affect itself
2) It wants you to cast 1st main phase
3) It is Legendary
4) It wants you to play Spirits and/or Arcane spells

To each I say:
1) It can still handle itself quite well in battle
2) So does any deck playing haste, or Overrun
3) If a creature being Legendary is going to prevent you from playing it, then you won't be playing much from CoK
4) About half the creatures and half the instant/sorceries in the set are Spirit/Arcane, it won't be tough for him to simply fall into a home.

Anyway, what are your thoughts with this guy? And if you were to play him what kind of deck would you put him in? Personally I'd lean towards B/G aggro-spirits.

T

train

you make all your cheap critters "spirits" with conspiracy, play them for free, and I guess have an anger in the gy or something... or to stay g/b - drop concordant crossroads...

M

Mikeymike

Ahh, I see. I'm not sure if that would be the best course for action, since Aluren is an engine and not a support card. I feel kind of like it'd be using a bazooka to kill a fly.

Conspiracy should be able to do a whole slew of things with Spirits though.

I do like the Crossroads / Haste idea though, this way you can cast a spirit, first main, give the boost to all (including the recently cast Spirit I think).

When I get a moment, I think I'm going to play around and build a G/B spirit deck.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I haven't seen the new set enough to know if there are enough good cards to make this guy work well, but he seems nice...

R

Rooser

I don't conspiracy helps you out with those spirit triggers - they aren't spirits while they're on the stack - only spirits once they come into play.

As for the card, I don't think he's that great because blue and red, followed by black, are the best colors for arcane/spirit decks. But who here at the CPA is gonna tell you not to build your green black spirit deck?

I say enjoy the cheap cards and get down with your bad self.

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget Long-Forgotten Gohei

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Rooser
I don't conspiracy helps you out with those spirit triggers - they aren't spirits while they're on the stack - only spirits once they come into play.
From the new "Gatherer" database:

Conspiracy
3BB
Enchantment
As Conspiracy comes into play, choose a creature type.

Creatures you control, creature spells you control on the stack, and creature cards you own that aren’t in play or on the stack are of the chosen type.

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Rooser
for the card, I don't think he's that great because blue and red, followed by black, are the best colors for arcane/spirit decks. But who here at the CPA is gonna tell you not to build your green black spirit deck?
I noticed that as I was digging through the spoiler, most of the B/G spirits in CoK suck. Could got G/R spirits I suppose

However, there are some tasty spirits from sets past, like...
The Judgement phantoms
The Muses
Eternal Dragon
Nether Shadow
Vampiric Spirit (I hate to admit it, but I like this guy)
Revenant
Tradewind Rider
Cloud Spirit
Dungeon Shade
and of course Mistform Ultimus!

A few choice spirits, plus some hi-fi Arcane tricks is probably the way to go.

R

Rooser

Yeah, you'll probably want all of your creatures to be spirits for best effect, unless maybe if you play with birds.

Here's what I'd do - play green-blue. Throw in birds if you got 'em, add in some Tradewind Riders, chunk it up with some judgment phantoms, and then run all the blue arcane card drawing spells. Throw in one Unspeakable, (because three of the four arcane card drawers are part of that group of cards that summon up the Unspeakable), and Violins! You got yourself a deck!

O

orgg

UGb spirits works well, at least it has for me.

Try four Kodima's Grips and three swamps in the deck. Put in Teller of Tales and whatever other spirits you want... and three Devouring Greeds with the equivilent number of swamps.

It works fairly well as far as I can tell.