Kismet, Kormus Bell, and a new deck idea

N

Nightstalkers

Okay, I'm lookin' for a card that'll max my strategy now:

Non basic land deck running U/Art as mainstay.

Kormus Bell is used to change all of my opponents lands into 1/1 creatures, Juntu Stakes is used to keep my opponents lands tapped, and Kismet assures that his lands are always tapped.

Okay, from there I need some help. I have the groundwork done for the combination, but I have no real kill structure. Since I will be using nonbasic lands, I can freely pull from any color I like. Hmm... Perhaps something that acts as a counterspell and a creature, or something altogether different?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Kormus Bell changes all swamps to 1/1 creatures, so you'll need a way to change them all to swamps, so probably Blanket of Night. And since you're doing that and using white, you may as well go for the throat and use Karma.

If that's too cheesy, use protection against your enchantment stuff like Sterling Grove, which would also help tutor for your combo lockdown. Once you have a mana lockdown, you can do pretty much anything you wish as a kill...

T

train

It would probably be easiest to hack the bell...

so a blue white deck could do the trick for you...

as for the kill... you need some artifact here...

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by train
It would probably be easiest to hack the bell...

so a blue white deck could do the trick for you...

as for the kill... you need some artifact here...
I think Train is suggesting I use blue....

Thats scary.

Thats a nice idea you've got there Spidey, but you seem to forget that if I use the Blanket of Night I'll retroactively kill myself with my own spell. I cannot prevent a loss of life, only damage from something with a COP or something.

My original idea was to hack a Karma to go after my opponents land type... but I couldn't find a way to use it effectively against an opponent using the same land type as me.

Bah... I'm getting less and less time to work on this though, and I've already put it off for a couple years.... What? I found the old strategy in my old play book.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yeah, that's right. Well, you could use Evil Presence and its variants to just turn certain of your opponent's lands into swamps. Then you could go on a swamp-walking theme!

And/or use life gain to offset the life you're losing.

I had a Hack/Karma deck once and it didn't do too bad at the time... most people I played back then had multicolor decks and even if they had monocolor, I rarely ran against someone who had the same colors I played.

N

Nightstalkers

Yeah... I'm thinking about running nonbasic lands instead to offset that sorta thing. It might prove fruitful if I can get it all hammered out though...

Hmm, might be worthwhile, but I seem to be just posting these now to get out the idea for people to try out as I am finding that I'm getting less and less time for my "hobbies"

M

mythosx

one card you can use with kormus bell is orcish farmer. Back in the day it was Prodigal/orcish/bell combo.. thats one land a turn....sweeeeeeet.

H

Homestar

i guessi just dont like the idea, but i guess you could run something like consume spirits to gain life back from karma and take them down faster.

T

train

I think running the non-basics works best...

*shameless trade plug coming...*

I have some of the blue-white invasion non-basics if you need them...

H

Homestar

are lands like savanah and all the other duel lands considered non-basic?

T

train

yes... anything that is not a "PLAINS, Island, Mountain, Swamp, or Forest" is non-basic...

and "counts as" - like in Savannah doesn't make it basic, but lets it be affected by sac/search lands, and things like krosan verge...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, "Snow-Covered" lands are also considered to be basic lands... that trips up a lot of people :)

T

train

Here's what Spidey is talking about... (I should've been more specific...)

502.14b Five snow-covered lands were printed in the Ice Age™ expansion. Their names are Snow-Covered Plains, Snow-Covered Island, Snow-Covered Swamp, Snow-Covered Mountain, and Snow-Covered Forest. These lands are basic lands, even though they have a different name and they have the snow-covered ability.

:cool:

M

mythosx

even though they are dual lands...i believe they still count as swamps for the purposes of karma....the ones with black in em....

T

Tabasco

I got a better idea than the Prodigal sorcerer...

How about Goblin Sharpshooter.....and something that makes all lands 1/1's....Like Living Plane

T

Tabasco

Living Lands also make them 2/2's though which is good for a land-aggro deck, but not a land nuke control combo.

Living Plane = 1/1s