Keywords - Sunburst?

M

mythosx

Whats the deal with the keywords? they get rid of solid keywords such as banding, bury, and rampage. And then they go out and print up SUNBURST??????

N

Notepad

Sunburst makes sense for a mechanic name under the Fifth Dawn storyline of the green sun/moon coming up into the sky. However, it will be hard to find a way to reprint it, should they ever find a need to do so.

S

shadow_acid

I got an artifact creature with sunburst and flying when i went to a draft tournament recently. It was a manta. . .Skybound Manta or something like that.

Sunburst does sound like a stupid ability and I think we will never see it again after this expansion. . .but i hope there will be some good multicolored cards to be had when i go to the prerelease:D

M

mythosx

thats my point...they are never ever going to reprint it ever. why did they make it?

Here is another thing, and maybe some one could start a pole about this. But they replaced bury with destroy and cant be regenerated. It never mattered before because we never had indestructable cards. But I came to understand that bury meant place directly into your grave yard and not destroy and cant be regenerated. This would blow the lid off things seeing how the rereleased terror.

N

Notepad

Bury is just destroy without regen. Always has been. Of course, in the old days they worded it a lot more, but it was essentially the same thing.

Sunburst has some potential, in giving domain decks a nice selection of cards, though they are rather weak. The better mechanic is the "you may pay WRGBU instead" cards. But it seems those will also be limited to one set. Sad.

You're right--why even make Sunburst? Not a very good ability in the first place. Emblazoned Golem wasn't all that hot. And these things, with casting costs of four and up, just plain suck because you can never play them fast.

M

mythosx

I dont care if the ability sucks i.e. banding. But if your not going to use it again. dont use the keyword. Sunburst. The word itself pertains to the suns of mirrodin. MIRRODIN!!! if we never comeback, if there never is another sun bursting anywhere. You will never see it again.

N

Notepad

Yeah, keywording was not necessary here. Just a reminder text, like phantoms or domains, would have sufficed.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Of course, in the old days they worded it [bury] a lot more
I thought bury had been around since the beginning and around 4th or 5th ed., WOTC changed it because people were getting confused on what it meant (and they didn't have reminder text back then).

I think it's odd they introduced a keyword on the last set of a block, but who knows, we may see it again. Never say never...

N

Notepad

Yeah bury was just bury on the cards. However, in the instruction books, the definition was a lot more than how it is written on cards nowadays.

N

Notepad

They sort of did, only this time as a really bad green sorcery for 3G. Total card disadvantage, but what they heck...WotC wants our money more than our satisfaction. :(

M

mythosx

can some one check up the old rulings on bury? I could have sworn it meant place the target object directly into the graveyard. Not destroyed but a replacement effect. If that is the case then you get around the indestructable stuff if they ever bring bury back. Do spells still fizzle if the target is removed before resolution? I am wondering because i do still run a some buy back spells and those are the most affected spells.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I looked up Terror at Crystalkeep and in Alpha, it doesn't use the word bury, it actually has the whole
Destroy's target creature without possibility of regeneration.
While in Revised, it DOES have bury and the earliest rules I could find there were 5th edition that has the definition of bury. It's definitely "destroyed" and not a replacement effect.

And spells still "fizzle" if the target isn't there on resolution, only now they call it "countered on resolution".

M

mythosx

thats good. So like what about spells with multiple targets, do all targets have to be present or is it still go if one of them drops out, i.e. firestorm?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
No no, the spell still resolves as much as it can if it has multiple targets and one or some "go away". It only "fizzles" if ALL targets go away. It'll still resolve successfully as long as one target is still there.