Ken Nagle pushing for one of the most powerful cards to be reprinted!!!!!

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Head Designer for Worldwake Ken Nagle has posted the following on his twitter

Ken Nagle said:
finds the Reserve List annoying during M12 design - the timing would have been perfect for the comeback of Dwarven Pony.
I for one would welcome Dwarven Pony back to the metagame with open arms, though I fear over how much it would shift the game.

1. Decks would have to play around this card's powerful ability, potentially pushing red cards out of the format altogether.
2. Counterspells would make a comeback, as each deck would need a way to keep this destruction power off of the field.
3. Each deck would have to pack some kind of Wrath effect in the likely case that DP hits the field.

Thoughts?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't know. I mean, the game has changed a lot since the days of Dwarven Pony. Crazy as it seems, it might not be the powerhouse we once knew it to be.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Oversoul;288051 said:
I don't know. I mean, the game has changed a lot since the days of Dwarven Pony. Crazy as it seems, it might not be the powerhouse we once knew it to be.
That's crazy talk. Let's just switch a couple words around in that quote there...
Oversoul;288051 said:
I don't know. I mean, the game has changed a lot since the days of Black Lotus. Crazy as it seems, it might not be the powerhouse we once knew it to be.
See? See how crazy you sound? The day DP comes off the reserve list is the day it gets banned.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Hypnotic specter got reprinted, apparently it's strength lies in the combination with Dark Ritual. Maybe Dwarven Pony isn't so strong on it's own either.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Shabbaman;288057 said:
Hypnotic specter got reprinted, apparently it's strength lies in the combination with Dark Ritual. Maybe Dwarven Pony isn't so strong on it's own either.

I dunno, man. I've heard tales from days of olde when decks comprised of 56 Mountains and 4 Dwarven Ponies wrecked Pro Tours:

"I'll play Spirit of the Night. You have an answer?"
"I'm holding 2 Ponies in my hand."
"Crap... I almost had it too. You wanna just take the match win? I don't think I wanna play the rest of it."

I'm pretty sure it would show its abundant strength in this format without much resistant. But imagine how powerful the Jund and Bushwhacker decks would be when adding this card. We're talking speeding the clock by at least 2 turns. Jund winning on turn 3? This is lunacy.

Ransac, cpa trash man

T

theorgg

We should send Wizards of the Coast another petition for the removal of Dwarven Pony from the Reserve List.

T

train

I think you all are missing the point...

If we DO NOT reprint his Pony-sty... the world of MTG will collapse into an abyss that no planeswalker could ever imagine existing... It would be the end of all that is MTG, and everything we have ever known will simply be a colored, bendable piece of cardboard, originally wrapped in plastic or foil packaging and sold for way more than it's material value...

wait... wth!!!...

:cool:

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
train;288094 said:
I think you all are missing the point...

If we DO NOT reprint his Pony-sty... the world of MTG will collapse into an abyss that no planeswalker could ever imagine existing...

I see you have been reading "The Gospel of Ransac: Why Dwarven Pony leads to your Salvation, Vol. 2," a classic read if there ever was one. Which chapter are you on?

Ransac, cpa trash man

T

train

I think the next book due out is the "Pony-Phoenix: The Strength of Dwarven Lore"...

I think it explains what happens after the powdered dust of the hooves and how Dwarven genetic engineering has advanced so much that with some golden dragon stem cells, the pony rises again... but with wings and fire-breathing and all that hairy business that we all knew the pony was capable of to start with...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Maybe they could print a counter to DP...
Dwarven Mule
Rules text " Dwarven Mule stops Dwarven Pony in it tracks"
:eek:

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Which "it" are you implying? The Pony or the Mule. If it's the Mule, I believe you are hopelessly mistaken. DP does not lose to creatures Hulking out.

Ransac, cp atrash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Having played around with a few deck concepts, I think the big problem here would be that Dwarven Pony engines would become virtually universal. I altered my old Orcish Spy deck to include a surprise Dwarven Pony sideboard and pitted it against a particularly vicious netdecked Rhinoseeker. At first, I couldn't keep up perhaps the most infamous combo in the history of the game. But when I sideboarded, I completely wrecked Rhinoseeker. Even pre-board, I found that I could sneak in a Pony via Living Wish and just beat Rhinoseeker down even without Relentless Assault. All of that was just with my Orcish Spy concept. There's no reason to believe some outdated concept like that is the best use of Dwarven Pony.

Or if we get really nasty, I found a way to squeeze Pony into a Snowfall deck. It completely changes the way Snowfall decks usually play. Instead of boosting my own cards and riding out the advantage to pick my opponent apart, I can just drop a Pony or two, then lock the game down with Snowfall synergies until I set the Pony up for the kill.

When I first saw this thread, my thoughts were of the monored decks of yore that just slapped in Pony for its sheer power. But I now realize that Dwarven Pony is so versatile, tons of decks can find a way to exploit it and the ones that can't will no longer be viable in any format if Pony is allowed back into the game.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Your assessment is very true, Oversoul, though you neglected to mention (or wasn't aware of) the brutal gamestate that Dwarven Pony can create in the Kobold deck.... 3rd turn even....

But think about Pony with some of the new powerful cards. Imagine pairing the Pony with Mindless Null! Even Baneslayer Angel would have a hard time matching this form of power!

Oversoul, would you mind writing an article detailing the scenarios that the Pony could create (through all formats) should it be reprinted?

Ransac, cpa trash man