Kavu Glider

• Thread starter Thallid Ice Cream Man
  • Start date
T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I see this card as the embodiment of the Invasion block (well, not all the time, but I do when I'm cynical).

Kavu Glider
2R
Creature - Kavu
2/1
W: Kavu Glider gets +0/+1 until end of turn.
U: Kavu Glider has flying until end of turn.
Apocalypse

Now, to a discerning eye it is of course obvious that this card sucks.
However, I find it particularly insulting that this was ever printed when you consider that this card came in the same block as Tower Drake, another card that clearly sucks.

Tower Drake
2U
Creature - Drake
2/1
W: Tower Drake gets +0/+1 until end of turn.
Flying
Invasion

Notice the astonishing similarities.

Kavu Glider is almost certainly directly inferior to Tower Drake.
In fact, the only reason it might possibly ever be considered better is if someone wanted to play with a red creature as opposed to a white creature to pump its toughness.
Of course, even without Kavu Glider, Tower Drake is bad.

But how could anyone sleep at night after making a card almost directly inferior to a very bad card they made 8 months ago???

Or do I just need a little more oxygen?

M

maraud234

I don't think Kavu Glider is that bad, but it's not that good. It's is an ok card, if you use it right, but I wouldn't put it in my deck.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's because the Glider is red and the two abilities are opposing colors, and flying is not primarily a red ability (as opposed to blue).

L

Landkiller

Kavu Glider is a kavu. It can be returned via Coastal Drake in a red/blue deck.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

That's right, but that's also the point.

In a red/blue deck, for creature purposes, Kavu Glider is directly worse than Tower Drake (because with Tower Drake, you don't have to pay the U to give it flying).

The only reasons Kavu Glider might be used over Tower Drake are that it's a Kavu, and that if you are playing R/W you don't want to have to dip into blue for something like this.

I agree, the Kavu Glider is not directly worse. However, (and I didn't really point this out in the previous post) this case seems to embody the Invasion block for me:

This card is versatile chaff.
Much of this block is concerned with "versatility," and as a result, you get huge numbers of cards that suck.

Pick good cards to be versatile and screw around with.

G

Gizmo

It`s a draft card.

80% of the sets are printed these days for use in Limited tournaments. That has been the case since about Legacy (I think before Legacy no more than 50% are printed solely for Limited use).

Now then, if you are going to say 'but we don`t play limited magic' then i`d recommend you give it a go - it`s with good reason that EVERY pro player prefers limited formats to constrcuted formats.

R

rkoelsch

Giz, I don't mean to contradict but I seem to remember reading quite a few articles by Pro's saying how limited was basically luck based. Now I don't agree. I enjoy the booster drafts we have after the weekly tournament as much as the tournament itself. Is it that the Pro's now play booster draft instead of sealed? Maybe that was what I was thinking of because there is a lot of skill in booster.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I seem to remember they might have been talking about Sealed also more than booster, but I haven't read anything recently (like within the past 6 months) so I don't know what they're currently saying.