Just Another Peasant Magic

C

chocobo_cid

T1.5 [FORMAT] Peasant Magic

Here's the only Peasant Magic I have ever made. It is just a big set-up for an unpreventable damage lava-burst. To protect against the counterspells in this world, I put a red elemental blast in the sideboard.

Primal Growth + Veteran Explorer works really well. However, the biggest problem is getting the lava burst on time. While I could concievably use Fireball, as it was a common in 5E, but that would just get around the fact that it is an uncommon in Darksteel. Blaze (and all of the other XR damages) is an uncommon, so I can't use it; my 4 uncommons are already included (Veteran explorer.)

(Originally, I had 6 rares in this deck: 4 Furnace of Rath and 2 Rofellos, Llanowar Missionary. I noticed how close this was to Peasant Magic, and replaced them with two more Fertile Ground and four Overgrowth)

Regardless, I am rather pleased with my result. Please advise.

// Lands
4x MI Mountain
16x OD Forest

// Creatures
4x WL Veteran Explorer (Uncommon)
4x WL Llanowar Druid
4x MI Quirion Elves
4x IA Tinder Wall

// Spells
4x 7E Rampant Growth
4x OD Moment's Peace
4x PS Primal Growth
4x IA Lava Burst
4x US Fertile Ground
4x SH Overgrowth

// Sideboard
4x 8E Naturalize
3x MR Deconstruct
4x IA Orcish Lumberjack
4x 4E Red Elemental Blast

T

train

Did this peasant have a limitation on the number of uncommons you could use?...

C

chocobo_cid

Originally posted by train
Did this peasant have a limitation on the number of uncommons you could use?...
Yes. The version that I learned at the local shop has a strict no-rares, only 4-uncommons restriction.

T

train

moment's peace will buy you more time than fog - double the time actually...

what about tinder walls or orcish lumberjacks...

and don't forget krosan restorers...;)

C

chocobo_cid

I had already sideboarded the Lumberjacks. Tinder Wall is a nice addition though, as is Moment's Peace. However, Krosan Restorers will only untap a single land. I never get threshold early enough to matter. Anyway, with moment's peace a-flashing back, by graveyard will be seemingly shrinking the entire time anyway.

T

train

good thought on the restorer bits - I jus tthought you could easily get 7 cards in the gy...

what about Mana Flare or Eladamri's Vineyard (not sure of either's rarity...)

C

chocobo_cid

Yes. They are.;)

Considering that most of the deck is creatures with graveyard effects or instant/sorceries, I can understand the confusion with threshold.

Mana Flare. (I wish):D

T

train

I really didn't think either was a rare...:rolleyes:

you could high tide... but that's blue...

C

chocobo_cid

Aren't you supposed to hate, detest, and vilify the color blue when in the context of Magic: the Gathering?

T

train

and I know mine enemy very well - well enough to... well... nevermind...

;)

How did this deck turn out?...:cool:

R

Reverend Love

What about Yavimaya Elder? He'd work great with Primal Growth.

C

chocobo_cid

(Looks at it.)

Yes, he would, wouldn't he?

EDIT DECK:

-4 Overgrowth

+4 Yavimaya Elder

Should I drop the Overgrowth?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I wouldn't. I think it's a cool card. But I don't know how well it works in the deck either...

How does it measure up against Fertile Ground in the deck?

C

chocobo_cid

Overgrowth- costs more, produces a larger amount of mana.

Fertile Ground- costs 1 less, produces less mana, but provides R if needed.

Overgrowth is crazy on a forest with a Llanowar Druid in play, but Fertile Ground has saved the deck on more than one occasion. With need for a heavy forest base for a similar effect, this deck really can't afford to replace forests with mountains to produce the needed single R.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
So, with the Mountains, Quirion Elves, and Tinder Walls in the decklist, is Fertile Ground still necessary? I guess that should have been my original question. Please don't get the impression that I am advocating the elimination of Fertile Ground right now. I just want to know how good it is in your deck...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Okay, okay...

Just, well, you know...

If "more than one" means two and the rest of the time it's not particularly helpful at all, when you've played a hundred games with it, that's not so great. But I get the impression that you think it's too valuable to remove, so that means it's probably very good in the deck...