January 28, 2013 B/R Announcement

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yesterday I started a new article that is kind of possibly related to this tangentially. Sort of. It's certainly not about Modern. Anyway, I was looking for something but didn't find it and didn't have time to search more thoroughly. So I thought I'd ask here if anyone remembers a few years ago, I think coinciding with DCI list updates, someone from WotC said something along the lines that they didn't want to unban Land Tax in Legacy because it was boring or stifling to action or some such thing. For some reason I think it was Aaron Forsythe, but it might have been someone else. It wasn't that recent. Maybe 2008? Land Tax was eventually unbanned last year, not in the previous update, but the one before that. Anyway, that's one of the things I was trying to write about, but I couldn't remember the details and I wasn't finding anything of interest. Does this stuff ring any bells to anyone?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Not to me. Aside from a general search on Wizards or Google, you could go through each B/R thread here and click and see if any of them mention it.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I remember something like that back in 2007 I think.... Must have been Aaron or I wouldn't remeber it.

Wait Aminute... maybe it was Killer Joe whining about it....

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've been too busy to actually work on this, but I'm finally returning to it. And I've finally found what I remembered seeing, but couldn't locate until now. As Mooseman suspected, it was Aaron Forsythe in 2007: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/af173

I know there was a surge from within the Legacy community to unban Land Tax, but once again we didn't do it. Not only is the card incredibly powerful, but the games involving it are agonizing and boring. Any environment where the correct play involves not putting out your first land should be avoided, and with two Moxes available for anyone's use as four-ofs, I'd expect those decks to pop up. If the card's power level alone made it only a borderline case for banning, the oppressive nature of how it affects games pushes it over the edge.