It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

Killer Joe

We sort of covered this before in a thread called "A CPA idea", but let's make a fresh start.

A survey, by Yellowjacket.

What was your Best experience with Magic: The Gathering? (this could include game play, an elightnenment, pack opening, post-game aspect, an unbelievable trade-preferably honest, day one, etc......)

....then,.....

What was your Worst experience with Magic: The Gathering? (loss of game to little sister-age 2, opponent's bad breath-c'mon, you they're out there, the classic turn one: City of Brass-Ghazban Ogre, bad trade, etc.....)

Me: See the CPA idea Post.

Yellowjacket

D

Dune Echo

When I first played Magic and all of us would get together and use all of our cards to make these monstrously huge decks and I would always lose. Then I read Duelist #3 and read Zak Dolan's 42 card red/green deck. I proceded to stomp everyone! That was my favorite time.

My worst 2 Magic experiences was going into my local shop and seeing the guy that's normally there talking with this goofy-assed looking guy. Scary! And then being ignored for 15 minutes and then when I finally got the seller's attention, and even talked about playing a game, the goofy-looking a-hole starts ranting about his rank in Canada and how he's Canada's top player. I really wish I could relive that moment so I could say, "Gee, top ranked? I've never heard of you. Sorry, I don't give a rat's ass anyway." Instead I was polite and walked away. The other time was in the same store where I had picked up my brother to do a booster draft duel there. My bro and I got there early and asked the guy when the tournament was going to start and how much it was going to be. He said 1 o'clock and $10. So we waited IN THE SHOP for 10 minutes. Then I went up and asked if the guy was running the tournament was going to show. He said yeah and we waited for another 15 minutes. Then I went up to the guy and asked a 3rd time is "Kevin going to show up?" He was like "yeah, he's probably across the mall in the storage room where they're holding the tournament." HELLO! I'm a paying customer and you neglected to tell me where to give my money? What the hell? Oh, and the real kicker, I couldn't get the guys attention 90% of the time because he was too busy dealing with kids and PUKEMON! I've been back to that store once since then and I'll never go back. Hell with 'em. If you live in Dayton, OH, do me a favor and don't go to the Maverick's store in the mall.

T

The Magic Jackal

My best Experience:
Any group game including Team Wang (That's the current team I am part of)

My worst experience:
Any group game where everyone is playing blue (It takes forever)

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Being ultra competative...
Best -- getting to the finals of a local tourney with ease while playing a Waylay White extended deck. (Sligh/Bad Suicide Black/Pox = easy)

Worst -- losing that final to a Pox deck with 2 god draws. I mean like 2 swamp, 3 HTT, 2 Rack hand 1st game. Then 3 sideboard cards in his opening hand 2nd game.

Of course, there are many others, but I'm just so competative :D

-mike

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
The best of times...The worst of times...

The best had to be the 2nd game of the quarterfinal match of an extended tourney in a local store about 2 years ago. I was playing an extended version of the Pony Deck posted in the decks section, and my opponent (who I had swept in the Swiss but who had beaten me in our 1st duel of this match) was with a G/W Sliver deck, and I was down 20-1. My hand included 2 Wraths and a Wildfire Emissary, but I couldn't seem to draw a 4th land.

One turn from elimination, I drew a Mountain and Wrathed. My opponent had saved an Armor Sliver in case that happened, and he cast it next turn. I responded with the Emissary. He didn't draw another creature I think the whole rest of the game, while I drew my other Emissary on the next turn. I played it too, then attacked with the 1st. I kept one back to block for the rest of the game, and took him down with the other one in, like, 5 turns. The 3rd game I won easily.

I love pulling off major comebacks like that. :cool:

The worst had to be back in the spring of '94. I had a friend from work over to my house when we had both just started playing the game. He put an Instill Energy on a Serra Angel, then tried to tell me that he should get to attack with her twice! I knew that was wrong, and so we argued about it for at least an hour before he left in a huff. We never played together again.

In retrospect, I probably should have let him do it. I used to beat him pretty thoroughly on a regular basis, and I'm sure that had something to do with how irrational he got over it.

Oh well...

TomB
CPA Member

D

Dune Echo

Don't worry my group had some pretty scary interpretation of the rules at times too. I remember my friend putting Instill Energy on his Juggernaut so we thought it could attack 2 times a round. Yep, he won that one just cuz everyone played with too many walls. (I of course had the all powerful Wall of Wood.)

Ferret

Staff member
Worst: any sanctionned event. Seriously. Too many people that didn't believe in the ancient art of conversation or laughing out loud.

Best: most multiplayer games - but favourite was when I was playing against my friend Jimmy w/ his Big Blue Critter Deck. He attacks w/ his Sibilant Spirit and I get to draw a card. I draw Miraculous Recovery and instantly use it to put my Crimson Hellkite into play to block his 'Spirit. The Hellkite ends up going all the way for me :)

-ferret

"...even better than my third turn creature kill..."