Istanbul's Card Repair Shop

I

Istanbul

This is going to be a thread where I take a broken card...maybe a printed one, maybe one that one of you has made...and 'fix' it until it's not broken anymore.

I'll take requests.

I'll start with a nasty little number from IPA...

Flametongue Kavu (3R)
Creature - Kavu
When Flametongue Kavu comes into play, it deals 4 damage to target creature.
4/2

*tweaks the CIP damage down significantly*
*curves the P/T out more evenly*

Yyyyyyep. I think this one's ready for the road.

Flametongue Kavu (3R)
Creature - Kavu
When Flametongue Kavu comes into play, it deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
3/2

That seems a lot more balanced, and it doesn't make anything with less than 5 toughness a lightning rod. :p

Any requests?

I

Istanbul

Oh, that's easy.

Skullclamp (1)
Artifact - Equipment
Equip: 1
Equipped creature gets +1/-1.
Whenever equipped creature is put into a graveyard from play, draw two cards.

*fix card drawing*
*fiddle with stat change*
*work on casting/equip cost*

Whew. What a mess. But here's what I've got:

Skullclamp (2)
Artifact - Equipment
Equip: 1
Equipped creature gets +1/+0.
Whenever equipped creature is put into a graveyard from play, put a charge counter on Skullclamp.
Remove two charge counters from Skullclamp: Draw a card.

C

Captain Caveman

Any of these:

Morphling

the Moxen

Goblin Welder

Fact or Fiction

Time Spiral

Old school Dual-lands

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking some of them have already been "fixed" by WOTC like the Moxen (Lotus Petal?), Black Lotus (Lion's Eye Diamond?), dual lands (any other land that gives two colors, basically), but maybe Isty can come up with a new twist on them anyways... :)

I

Istanbul

Whoah, whoah, one at a time.

Lin-Sivvi, Defiant Hero (1WW)
Creature - Rebel Legend
X, T: Search your library for a Rebel card with converted mana cost X or less and put that card into play. Then shuffle your library.
3: Put target Rebel card from your graveyard on the bottom of your library.
1/3

Hmmmm. A custom job, huh...
*tweaks one ability*
*tweaks the other ability*
*has a flash of inspiration, returns the second ability to normal*
*fixes the P/T*

Lin-Sivvi, Defiant Hero (1WW)
Creature - Rebel Legend
X, T: Look at the top X cards of your library and choose a Rebel card. Put that card into your hand and put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
3: Put target Rebel card from your graveyard on the bottom of your library.
1/2

I

Istanbul

Ironically, they already made a tuned-up version of Crazed Goblin, and they called it Goblin Brigand.
And they made a fixed Morphling (this time, it does what they originally intended for it to do) and called it Quicksilver Elemental.
They fixed the original dual lands several times...now they're painlands and taplands.
They fixed Black Lotus, and they called it Lotus Vale.
I would even go so far as to say that they fixed the Moxen, and called it Chrome Mox.

That leaves us with Goblin Welder, Fact or Fiction, and Time Spiral. I'll have a look at them later.

I

Istanbul

Wow, how time gets away from us...I forgot to fix these.

Believe it or not, each one has a pretty easy fix to it. Let's see here...

Goblin Welder (R)
Creature - Goblin
T: Exchange target artifact a player controls for target artifact in that player's graveyard.
1/1

becomes...

Goblin Welder (1R)
Creature - Goblin
T, Sacrifice an artifact: Return target artifact from your graveyard to your hand.
2/1

-----

Fact or Fiction (3U)
Instant
Reveal the top five cards of your library. An opponent seperates those cards into two face-up piles. Put one pile into your hand and the other pile into your graveyard.

becomes...

Fact or Fiction (3U)
Instant
Reveal the top five cards of your library. Seperate those cards into two face-up piles. Target opponent chooses a pile; put that pile into your hand and remove the other pile from the game.

-----

Time Spiral (4UU)
Sorcery
Remove Time Spiral from the game. Each player shuffles his or her graveyard and hand into his or her library, then draws seven cards. You untap up to six lands.

becomes...

Time Spiral (4UU)
Sorcery
Remove Time Spiral from the game. Each player shuffles his or her graveyard and hand into his or her library, then draws seven cards.

-----

That was actually pretty easy. Any other ideas?